1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite in-line muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I just went through my first muzzleloading big game season with a percussion sidelock with frustrating results. Up here in New York there wasn't a whole lot of success all around but when you have your sights on a good sized doe and the hammer falls with a dull thud because the cap fell out when you cocked the hammer, there are a few more curse words heard in the woods then normal. I want to move to an in-line so this doesn't happen again. I can't seem to find an honest review anywhere nor a helpful so I'd like some reviews from people who actually used these firearms. I was looking at a Knight disc extreme or mountaineer, maybe a savage, I also saw a traditions vortek, or a t/c encore.

Kyle

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

T/C Omega "Workhorse" Kit Z5 . Already built But called a Kit Because It Has Everything You Need In A "Blister Pak" 209 ingnition Shoot It All Day Long. Take Out The Plug Cleans Up Fast. Best Bang For The Buck And Will Last Forever. JMO Joe Whitehurst

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a T/C Omega in stainless steel with a laminated thumbhole stock. It is accurate enough for Pennsylvania deer hunting (three shots into 1-1/4" at 100 yards) and always goes "bang."

Ed

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Savage 10MLII, smokeless and don't look back.

5. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

CVA Accura, great shooting gun at a reasonable price

Oscar

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a Knight Revolution II in .54 caliber that needs a new home.

Jim Skeel

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a Traditions Vortek...shoots so good its scary ..great gun for the money

8. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

I also have a T/C Omega synthetic/ stainless. It is a tack driver to 150 yds.
    Experiment with powder pellets mine really likes 110 grns, and sabot bullet
    If you put a scope on it be sure of eye relief, it can make your nose/eye leak. experience speaking. Dave Butzier

9. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

TC Omega Z 5 with 6 kills between 200 and 300 yrds, comfirmed with a range finder. Leupold Ulti Slam reticle. Spot on ballistics with 150 gr (3 pellets) of Pyrodex and TC Shock wave bonded bullet. All shots were complete pass throughs. My friend has the smokeless Savage and is an awesome choice as well.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What is really nice is the removable breech plug, as I currently have on my TC. You will find that since it cleans up so much easier, you'll practice more and perhaps tweak your load.

I use to hate shooting the ML, cause it took an hour to clean everything up.

TC, Accura, Traditions, Knight, are all good with the right load.

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought a savage smokeless.. you will not be sorry if you get one.. I have only shot mine about 45 times this year but.......I havent had to clean a single thing on it... plus you can see when you shoot if you hit the deer... smokeless is the only way... I have been ml hunting for 26 years..

12. johnboy

johnboy Member

I will have to agree on the Savage smokeless.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Savage Smokeless has my attention. Can one of you owners give some more info? What kind of powder do you use and what amounts? Do you load it like an old blackpowder musket by pouring in a measured amount of smokeless? Do you use conventional muzzleloader bullets and sabots?

14. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Almost all of my hunting friends have the T/C Encore Pro Hunter, I have 3 of them, 2 .50 and 1 set up for rifle. Wouldn't go to anything else.

15. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I use a TC Firehawk in .54 cal (100 gr. of black powder) bought about 20 years ago & still putting meat in the freezer with it. having said that, my hunting partner has 1 of the Savage smokelss muzzle loaders & if I buy another one, this will be it.

Grntitan, I believe he uses IMR 4227 for powder & saboted bullets. I think the bullets are nothing special other than designed for muzzle loaders. Someone else may be able to speak to that. It shoots long & flat, has a great trigger & cleaning is just like a normal rifle. It is a bit on the heavy side but that is good has it does get your attention when you fire it on the benchrest.

16. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

The Knight guns have the most accurate barrels available muzzleloaders. I shoot a Big Horn and it is deadly out to 200 yds. with open sights.

Rod

17. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I have a TC Encore. I like wood so I didn't go for the Pro Hunter. It has plenty of weight and with a Kick-Eez pad the recoil is mild. IT has advantages most other guns don't have

18. DEMMING

DEMMING TS Member

I got t/c encore and rem 700ml switched to smokeless, less kick more power. my daughter shots it without even a flinch age 12, lots of confirmed kills over 150 yds plus with pass thru. honestly stay with SS, smokeless, equals no cleaning. I been using 5744 powder 45.5 gr, with 45cal 240 gr xtp hornady bullet with black harvester crush ribs sabots. want more info email your question do the best to answer them

19. Beni

Beni Member

Savage 10ml. I use Vihtavorrie 45 grs. mmp high pressure sabot hornady 250 gr.xtp bullet shoots 2.5" groups at 200 yds. If you want one better order it savage is making them again now but supposedly just blue on black or blue on camo no stainless.... beni

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My T/C Omega shoots better than any muzzleloader has a right to. It'll group three shots in less than 2" at 200 yards. I use 120 grains of 777 (loose), Hornady 240 XTP's, and a Winchester 209. I'm sure it will shoot out further, but I have no need.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

savage smokeless powder choices best 209 primers

tc firehawk 54 cal