1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite in-line front loader???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

What is your thoughts on best in-lines with GOOD TRIGGERS. Would like to use 209's with 777 pellets. I have an in-line, but it uses percussion caps....not enough heat sometimes, and my old T/C Thunderhawk is VERY difficult to stick a cap on the nipple due to the shape of the breech. (There is a joke there, but won't do it) Can't convert the thing either, it's too old a model. Any thoughts???? Thanks Jim Bornschlegl Mitchell, Nebraska

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Savage 10MLII. Accu-trigger. Very accurate and you can use Smokeless powder in it as well as any of the Blackpowder substitutes. A real 250 yd, front loader.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a Traditions and it is truly EXCELLENT for the money...have the coated and fluted barrel...break open and so easy to take the barrel off to thoroughly clean and extremely accurate. got mine for under $200 through their website as a "blem" salelist...and all that was wrong was a goof in the realtree paint job on the synthetic stock...you can email them at their customer service to get the list of "blems" available

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just an FYI...even though its a bit less convenient...you'll get a lot better performance and accuracy by using loose 777 powder...my gun likes 135gr with any bullet/sabot combo...the pellets dont allow enough flexibility in tailoring your load for best performance going to the max load of 150gr of 777 opened the groups up from 1.5 to 2.5/3" and for hardly a worthwhile velocity gain (approx 60fps usually)..hope that helps as My TC Firehawk acts exactly the same so I feel safe to say this will be the case with most guns of 1/28" twist

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My son and I each have stainless steel T/C inlines in laminated stocks - his is an Encore with a 26" barrel and mine is an Omega with a 28" barrel. Both shoot best - 1-1/2" three-shot 100-yard groups - with 250-grain Hornady SST/ML bullets and sabots over three pellets of Triple Se7en with regular Federal 209A primers. The load chronographs right under 2,200fps in my rifle; three Pyrodex pellets shoot a hair over 2,200fps but that load isn't as accurate and is a lot dirtier. We tried four different 250-grain bullets and the Hornady was the most accurate for us with both propellants.

At the suggestion of a friend, I tried two pellets of Triple Se7en with the Hornady bullets but the accuracy worsened a little and of course the velocity dropped a little. This part surprised the heck out of me - changing to two pellets instead of three moved the POI of my rifle upward six inches at just 50 yards! That was the first load I shot the day I tried it and I almost started to adjust my scope but thought I should try three pellets before doing so. I'm glad I did because it put them right in the center of the target. My son never tried the two-pellet load in his rifle so I can't say it is something that is to be expected.

From the research I did prior to buying my Encore, the Savage inline is a very good one, too. Both our T/C have triggers that feel very centerfire rifle-like and break cleanly and consistently at right around four pounds.

Ed

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

A Bad Bull muzzleloader is the best & Parker bullets!

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I had an Encore and it was a great rifle...but it was very, very load sensitive, including which primer I used. Once I got it dialed in Hornady quit making the bullet I used. FML. I did use it to whack a doe at a lasered 242 yards.

I had a cheapie Traditions and it shot like a house on fire no matter what I fed it, despite the barrel having an incredible amount of chatter and tool marks down the bore.

8. Mapper

Mapper Member

If you can find a used Austin & Hallack, get it. They had Timney triggers and some custom barrels. I really like mine. They have been out of business for a couple of years but you might find one out there somewhere.

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Remington 700 ML

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.