1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Green Dot Handicap Load??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Want to share your favorite Green Dot handicap load?? Thanks, Rick

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

gun club hull, 21.5 gr. green dot, green duster, 1 oz. hard 7.5's, win. 209 primer.

tony

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have two. STS hull, W209 Primer, 19.1gr Green Dot, Fig-8 wad, 1 1/8oz West Coast magnum. The second substitutes 18.4gr Am Sel for the Green Dot. Love them both.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

STS or Winchester hull, Winchester 209 Primer, 19.5 - 20.0 grains of Green Dot, Fig 8 or Red Versalite wad, 1 1/8 oz of HARD and ROUND shot. If I miss with this load, it's not the loads fault.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Ikey, they work better if you put in SOME powder. LOL

6. Herman63

Herman63 Member

AA hull-12sl wad-18G GreenDot-fio primer- 1oz 1/16 of 8's

STS Hull- DR fig 8- 19g GreenDot- fio primer- 1oz 1/8 of 8's or 71/2's

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

AA hull (old style), 22 gr., Downrange Versalite wad, Cheddite primer, 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 magnum shot.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Federal GM plastic hull (Old ribbed or new smooth), 19.3 Green Dot, Federal 209A primer, Federal 12S3 wad or Claybuster clone, 1 1/8 Lawrence size 8 shot. Shoots soft and hits hard.

Works well in cold weather with no off sounding loads.

Ed Ward

9. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Win AA Hull, Blue Duster Wad, 20 gr Green Dot, Win 209 Primer. 1 1/8 oz 7.5's Smokes them when I do my part and doesn't beat me up too badly. Always confirm with a manual.

10. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

AA hull. Win wad. Win primer. 19.4 GDot 7.5 or 8 (whatever is available)

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ok, I get the message. But how many of you guys have actually chrono'd your load to see if it comes up to 1200 fps? Huh?

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MIA

Almost all of my loads have been chronographed, and most have also been checked right out of the freezer to test cold weather performance. Heck, I've even been known to pattern some once in awhile. :)

13. JACK

Quack. How close do they get the the valhalla of 1200 or 1235? To me that is the question.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

MIA, I chrono my loads also. It has been an enlightening experience.

First myth to fall: premium factory loads are so consistent the velocities always fall within a 25fps range.

Second myth to fall: canister grade powders are consistent from lot to lot "with minor variation". Bull.

Third myth to fall: you cannot do good chronograph work with a light operated chrono with anything other than a cylinder choke.

Fourth myth to fall: the data listed in powder manufacturer's reloading manuals is sacred and must be taken as gospel. More bull. In fact, if you knew how things really worked, it would scare the pants off anyone loading near the max PSI side of the loading data.

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

up please

16. JACK

Z. (and this is a dumb question that I have asked before) What chrono should I get?

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MIA

The load using 20.0 - 20.1 grains of Green Dot, Fig 8 wad, STS hull and Winchester primer goes out at around 1220 fps from my barrel (Cyl Choke) in moderately warm weather (80 degrees or so). It's sometimes within 10 FPS between the ProChrono or the Chrony F-1. They can be used together if you line them up carefully. One can validate the other's readings to some extent.

The Chrony F-1 can be had for around $70 or so when on sale. Watch Midway. If your pockets are deeper, there is more of a selection to be had. Ohler makes some nice units in the higher dollar range, and you can get the hookup for testing pressures. I use the F-1 the most, since it is usually in the trunk and there when I need it. Use the diffusers and be careful how you place the shot over the screens. I put a small plate of clear plastic in front of the unit, in case there is a stray wad or some powder decides it wants to stick to the display.

18. rick979

rick979 Active Member

up please

19. JACK

Z. (and this is a dumb question that I have asked before) What chrono should I get?

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MIA

The load using 20.0 - 20.1 grains of Green Dot, Fig 8 wad, STS hull and Winchester primer goes out at around 1220 fps from my barrel (Cyl Choke) in moderately warm weather (80 degrees or so). It's sometimes within 10 FPS between the ProChrono or the Chrony F-1. They can be used together if you line them up carefully. One can validate the other's readings to some extent.

The Chrony F-1 can be had for around $70 or so when on sale. Watch Midway. If your pockets are deeper, there is more of a selection to be had. Ohler makes some nice units in the higher dollar range, and you can get the hookup for testing pressures. I use the F-1 the most, since it is usually in the trunk and there when I need it. Use the diffusers and be careful how you place the shot over the screens. I put a small plate of clear plastic in front of the unit, in case there is a stray wad or some powder decides it wants to stick to the display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best green dot handicap load

green dot and cold weather

green dot handicap loads

green dot handicap loads for trap

green dothandicap
greendot handicap loads
loads for wwaa 12sl wads with green dot