1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Favorite DownRange Mfg. Wads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What's your favorite DR wad?

Personally I really like the DRRF8 and the DRRT12 but was thinking of trying another style DR wad. Any difference between consistency of patterns with these and the DRXL1 or any other DR wad?
  2. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Rich I have only used the DRRT-12 recently and love them for 1oz 8 shot 1210 fps load I use approx 16.6-16.8 grains of Titegroup and REM 209p and STS hull and they even make nice breaks on them hard Lowery targets, Using a MOD or IM choke on 16yards.

I use the REM TGT-12 Stitched wad for HC 1 oz 8 shot Nitro hull Rem 209p and Tightgroup 18.4-18.6 grs for a 1290 fps load and 7.5 shot for meat shoots and annies. They hit a little less then a nitro 27 1235 load and are manageable on recoil, and they are quick to the target and will smoke em way back .
  3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try the Versalite for 1 1/8 oz loads. Hard to beat. I use them in Remington Hulls for handicap.
  4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

1 oz XL-1 (same ballistics, different design as WAASL-12)

MK
  6. jbmi

jbmi Active Member

XL 1 in any REm hull for 1 oz, (Claydot works great) DRRF8 in any Rem hull for 1 1/8 along with Greendot.
  7. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

Fig 8 wad... both 1oz and 1 1/8 oz
  8. himark

himark Active Member

The green remington replacement for 1oz loads 16 grains makes perfect loads for me. Im not sure of part # but will say they have another that they claim is for either 1 or 1 1/8 universal and it was crap with 1 oz.
  9. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

Anyone use the XL1 neon green with a super efficient powder like E3 or 700X? I think they are great with Clays or GD, but without the extra volume of powder, just can't get a super crimp with in my case 700X. Just does not fill a STS or Nitro hull enough for me. Outside of adding filler, anyone have luck with these?

How about the DRRT-12 with those powders? I have a case that I got by accident for the XL1 and have not busted them out yet. Are these better with the small volume powders?
  10. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

If the DRXL-1 wads are coming out a bit short then I would try the DRXXL Pink wad. You might have to compress it a bit for a 1 ounce load. Its perfect for a 7/8 ounce load. For a straight-wall hull the DRXXL Orange (same wad as the Pink except it has extra ridges around the over-powder cup) works great.

Terry M.
  11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Didreckson: You no doubt are aware of these ideas but I'll say them just in case. This is where the adjustable bar shines. You want 1 oz loads and a perfect crimp with a fast burning powder, just adjust the shot to give you an extra 10 pellets or so. Also make sure you have a deep enough crimp; maybe a very small scosh of extra crimp will tighten things up. I must say, though, I used that wad for 1 oz loads and 700X with stellar results maybe 2 or 3 years ago but have settled on Clays since then......do, breakemall
  12. AAtrap

AAtrap Active Member

Load the XL-1 in an STS hull with 16.5 gr. of 700X on a DL-366 all the time with no crimping problems.

Steve
  13. quartering

quartering Active Member

drfo-12. not! dr calls their drfo a "direct replacement for: federal 12so." it ain't. the so is a 7/8 oz wad, the fo is a 1 oz wad. what's up with that? good luck with it
  14. TomB

TomB Member

I bought a bag of DRA-12 wads and tried to load them in a gray AA with 1 1/8 shot and 17gr Promo...They caved in and left a hole in the crimp. Whats the difference between that wad and the DRRF8 orDRRT12 ??
  15. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

The 1 oz with XL1 and 700X was not the end of the world, but it was just a tad shorter and caused the crimp to be slightly concave. Everything was tight and tidy, but not factory looking perfect.

The 10 extra pellets is no doubt the way to go. No adjustable bar, but a drawer full of 1 oz bushings that I could polish out a bit. I considered the 1-1/16 bushing and put a dab of nail polish on it and then weigh things out until it was just right.
  16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

<blockquote>"I bought a bag of DRA-12 wads and tried to load them in a gray AA with 1 1/8 shot and 17gr Promo...They caved in and left a hole in the crimp. Whats the difference between that wad and the DRRF8 orDRRT12 ??"</blockquote>The DRA-12 is a good 1/8" shorter than the RT-12 but the same height as the RF-8. Difference is all in the compression section; shot cups are the same size.

I have zero problems loading DRA-12s in AA HS hulls but I use a smooth cone crimp starter that gathers more plastic into the crimp to eliminate the hole. Insert the wad with no wad pressure; the petals should stop where the shoulder roll will be.

MK
  17. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Active Member

I like the xl1 lime green wad and the jammer xl1 but both can give crimps that are a little concave with 1oz shot and promo powder but I have never had any problems and both give excellent patterns,I think the jammer wad gives better patterns for sporting clays with open chokes and the xl1 lime green works better for trap with a tighter choke.Jerry
  18. AEP

AEP TS Member

I use the DRA 12 on the old Winchester red and light grey hulls and the new red and dark grey hulls. I've had no problems.

Andy P
  19. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What are you guys paying locally for DR XL1 wads by the case?
  20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

First off let me say that I am not trying to sway anyone or change anyone from using DownRange wads. I do not use downrange wads and normally only use claybuster wads. Downrange cost more and I understand persons preference but what I would like to know is why you prefer Downrange? On average I save $12.00 a case in comparison but if you can tell me how and why they would improve my shotshells I would consider purchasing them. Jackie B.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.