1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite dedicated turkey shotgun (any gauge)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I'm looking to buy a dedicated turkey gun for this upcoming spring season in New York and I want to know what is effective. Any gauge, any action type, whatever has gotten you the most gobblers I want to know what it is. I know calling is important and camouflage, but for now we are going to concentrate on the shotgun.

Kyle

2. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

sp-10 for me. Love the thing and what it does. My son uses a 3.5 inch Benelli Nova and kills birds regularly at 30-40 yds. Good Luck.

3. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Ithaca mag 10 with barrel cut to 22" & Briley full choke.

4. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Mossberg 500 turkey special. 12 gauge. Preston Pittman choke tube.
    Shoots 3" shells.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Browning BPS 3.5" Stalker synthetic with 26" bbl

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington 1187 with 3" chamber 21" rifle sighted barrel, circa 2001. No longer made.

The current version is a Supermag turkey model with pistol grip stock and rifle sighted 23" barrel. I found this stock to be uncomfortable.

Frankly today I'd rather get an 1187 3" Sportsman or 3.5" Supermag in one of the black or camo versions and put adjustable Tru-Glo fiberoptic sights on the rib.

But if your budget is large enough, get an SP10 and don't look back.

7. settersam

settersam Member

Ithaca m37 Turkey, 23" factory ported barrel, extended choke, truglo rifle sights, Hogue synthetic stock, matte finish, sling swivel studs. Available NE Pa $400. settersam@comcast.netxxx

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

SP-10 for sure, with a Hastings .695 choke, and high velocity Federal #5s. Kills cleanly @ 60 yards.

But I'll tell you what you might want to do is use the gun you have but contact the guys at Nitro ammo for a specailty load.

They will tell you what after market choke tube to buy and sell you shells tuned to your gun and that choke tube. Now these are pricey, but cheaper than a new gun, and very effective. For $200 you will have a turkey slaying setup with your current gun.

But if you have the $$, SP-10 - zero doubt.

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Plenty of SP-10's available - one on this site recently for $750 I think - then there is gunbroker, or the few new ones still on shelves at low price.

Browning Gold 10 is nice too, but way more expensive.

But I'm telling you from experience - dollar for dollar, the best turkey gun you own is the 12 gage you already have with the proper after market choke and Nitro custom turkey load.

10. TjayE

TjayE Member

How much does a box (25) of 10 gauge turkey shell cost? Tom

11. MR870

MR870 Member

870 3" Express with a Bill Davis Pure Gold Choke.#6's 1 1/8 of Heavy shot.50 yard decaps turkeys.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have cases and cases of turkey loads. I bet I have 20 cases that have 25 bioxes of 10 rounds each in them. 2OZ of copper #4's. The SP-10 is the way to go. far less recoil then a 12ga with a magnum load and I have a rifle sight barrel that has a smooth bore. Any turkey that is within 60 yards is dead.

If anybody needs turkey loads shoot me a PM , I know where you can get them for cheaper then you can reload them for a 10ga. Jeff

13. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

I use #5 Hevishot with a Patternmaster choke. They are expensive, but I only go one week a year. It's well worth the money.

14. ctreay

ctreay Member

A couple of years ago when we had about seven of them cleaning up under our bird feeders my mod 31 16ga did a pretty good job with copper plated 6's at about 30 feet.

ctreay

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

ES100 by Beretta. It is only a 3 inch gun but gets the job done. It is light and wouldn't want to shoot a bunch of turkey loads but it is great for carry. Jackie B

16. bowsnbulls

bowsnbulls TS Member

I use a Winchester Super X2, 3 1/2 inch number 5 Federals, last year opening morning 35 yards 1 shot 2 toms down. Legal in Washington to take 2 in 1 day. Roger

17. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

11 87 super mag 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz. copper plated 5's. Is what I am using

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, I went cheap since I don't hunt turkeys real seriously and didn't want to invest a pile of money in a gun I might not use very much. I had a 12-gauge Remington 1100 synthetic field in matte black with a 28" RemChoke vent-rib barrel and a "Tupperware" stock with a lot of drop and a recoil pad that made a better stock protector than a recoil pad. It was never a good match for me as it shot super-flat and wouldn't cycle one-ounce loads, so I hardly ever took it hunting unless I might encounter heavy brush.

But when our son wanted me to go turkey hunting with him, I had to do something. So I went on Remington's Country Store website's close-out section, where I found a Monte Carlo stock for 1100s in Mossy Oak Breakup camo for $39, a forend in Mossy Oak New Breakup camo for $19 and a Supercell recoil pad pre-shaped for Remington synthetic shotgun stocks for $15. An H-S Strut "Undertaker" turkey choke tube with .052" of constriction for $55 was the most expensive part. The camos don't match exactly but the turkeys can't tell.

That's MY turkey gun. It shoots where I look and throws basketball-size patterns at 13 yards. For ammo, I also like Remington's Copper-Plated Duplex 4x6 loads but I take mine in 2-3/4".

Ed

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    YOU MIXED CAMO TYPES!?!?!??!?!

That's like dividing by zero!!!! The end of the world!!!!

[​IMG]

20. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

DITTO ON THE WHY WASTE MONEY?. ANY 3" SCREW IN CHOKE SHOTGUN WILL WORK. A .660
    OR SO EXTENDED CHOKE AND TURKEY LOADS. IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT BEING SPOTTED YOU CAN BUY A ROLL OF CAMO WRAP OR CAMO SOCK FOR YOUR BARREL. More important than all of this is to scout the birds and learn how to call.

But, since you asked,my favorite is an 870 with a cantilever 21" matte remchoke barrel and a reddot scope. Same gun for deer with a rifled choke and sabots. Sometimes in the same day if you know what I mean!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best turkey tube for beretta es100