1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite caps load with versalite wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by winchesterm12, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Bought some DownRange versalite wads at a bargain price. Looking for some favorite caps loads with them. I have Red dot/promo, Green dot, Nitro 100, and universal clays in the powder cabinet. Most hulls and primers. I'm looking for 1 1/8 oz of shot in the 1250 fps range.

Thanks
    pumpgunner

2. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

One of my two favorite handicap reloads: AA case, W209 primer, 21.5 gr. green dot, versalite wad with 7.5 Remington shot. This will generate something close to 1230fps and under 10,000psi. As always, refer to your Alliant loading manual and use a powder scale while building YOUR favorite reloads.

Cliff

3. RobPete

RobPete Member

I use 21.3 grains of green dot, nitro hull, ched primer. Ben at Alliant tells me that will get me close to 1250. All I know it that the load demolishes birds. The versalite wad was the best switch that I've ever made. Oh.....7 1/2's.......

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

A versalite backed up with a healthy dose of Unique will leave a cloud of rolling smoke out of my trap gun at handicap yardages and beyond.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shadow has it correct.. Green Dot is OK.. Unique is GREAT..

6. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

The Versalite wad is used by many as their #1 handicap wad. Used in a STS hull, WW primer, 19.5 of Green Dot and 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2s will give you 1200 fps and a consistently patterned load. Where you point it is up to you.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Versalite Wad in a Remington or Winchester AA hull using either Unique or Universal Clays. Primers would be the CCI 209M or WInchester, depending on whose data you use and what hull you are loading. I load to 1200 fps or a little over. I don't have much use for 1250+ fps trap loads. 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's or 8's as your preference dictates.

Green Dot loads are also great performers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.