1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite all around load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by drucker, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drucker

drucker TS Member

With the price of reloading components dropping it is time to start reloading again.....Been awhile since I have loaded. Was using clays in STS hulls. Need some ideas on what you think is the best all around load.....16 years old, 12 guage Beretta Urika 2....singles and handicaped with the occasional porch shoot or shoot off.....thanks.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You're asking for way too much in a single load.

Singles:

16.4 of Hodgdon's Tightgroup powder

Remington hull

TGT12 wad

Winchester 209 primer

1 oz of 8's

______________________________________________________________________________

'caps/porch call bird:

18.0 grains Tightgroup

Remington hull

TGT 12 wad

1 1/8 oz shot

Remington 209

The first load is a dandy for doubles as well.

ec90t

3. front242

front242 Member

These may be stupid questions but I'm asking anyway. I've never reloaded but am considering it and have been researching a little. I see in the tightgroup listings that the Win 209 primers generate less pressure than the Rem 209's Does less pressure = less recoil? I think I remember reading that the Rem 209's are a hotter primer than some. Does a hotter primer make the load burn faster, thus making higher pressures?

Tim
    F242

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They say that pressure is not related to recoil. Remington primers are on the weak side. HMB

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Federal GM, Top Gun, Estate and Walmart MP hulls:

Federal 209A primer

1 oz. load: 12S0 wad, 17 grs. of 700X (works for singles, doubles and short yardage 'caps)

1-1/8 oz. load: 12S3 wad, 19.5 grs. of 700X (long yardage 'caps and games)

Curt

6. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey!
    Keep your pressures at about 8,000-9,000. One oz. of 7 1/2s or 8's will get it done anywhere on the field. AT Deer Creek Cons. Club in Indiana, our porch shoots are between 70-80 yds. Go up to some 6's if you have any, or 7's. 7's come in a 10 lb. bag, and those are GREAT from the porch or backup shots in 2 man protections. 7's are GREAT for pheasant loads too. Good luck!
    -best fishes, -Patrick

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Patrick,

Where is Deer Creek? And what night is your gameshooting done?

ec90t

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Powderburn - do you guys still shoot at bats at night there at Deer Creek?? I always liked that club

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Front242

Though some will dispute, all else being equal, pressure has little to do with recoil.

10. powderburn

powderburn Member

ec90t,
    At Deer Creek Cons. Club, we will shoot 1st/3rd Sat.'s April-Oct. and every Wed. May-Oct. Sat.'s will be late afternoon-evening practice with a few games, (Protections, Killers (annie oaklies), bushwhackers, and 5 from the porch. 50 bd. program starts at 9p. These are public shoots, so come on over. My brother Mike fixes a pretty big spread of food, so come hungry. Best burgers you'll ever eat. We may continue the 1st Sat. shoot all winter long this year...it's still being discussed. No non-member charges here.
    We are located about 2 miles west of I69, and about 2 miles south of SR 22. Take exit 59 off the interstate, go west on 22 to the stop light (Wal Mart Dist plant at this intersection) turn left. This is CR 500 East. Go south, cross the river til you get to another stop sign. This is Wheeling Pike. Turn right, go about 2 mi., gun club road will be on the right. There is a green sign with a sass cowboy on it. Go down the lane, and swing left. This'll be the parking lot.
    Come hungry! My brother does it right. So folks come just to eat! Send me a private msg. with your mailing address, and I'll get a shoot schedule out to you. The trapshoots are public, but some other shoots-high power, pistol, NRA CMP shoots are sometimes member only. We'd love to have you come out. Cuban Cigar, no, we don't shoot the bats anymore. We need all of 'em we can get to eat those damn green gnat bugs that swarm in the summer and land on your glasses, your rib, down your throat, etc.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If I could shoot only ONE shell for everything, it would probably be real close to ec90t's 1-1/8 ounce load noted above.

It would be overkill for singles, but it would easily handle handicap and porch shoots.

12. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

18.5 grains e-3, aa hull, win 209 primer, downrange xl-1 neon green wad and 1oz 7 1/2 magnum. 1300 fps and no kick.

13. SR1

SR1 TS Member

18.3 gr of red dot
    1 1/8 oz of #8 1/2 magnum shot
    figure 8 wad
    gun club hull
    sts primer
    I shoot this load out of my Browning special trap with 30in bbls.,Briley LF or Full extended choke tubes. This combo smashs targets from the 16-27 yrd line.

14. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

rem. hull
    fed. primer
    18. oz 700 X
    blue duster wad
    11/8 shot

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If I am right your club is located west of Indianapolis, about 30 miles or so west of the road that goes up to Indiana Gun Club.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Old style Win. AA hull, Win. AA primer,13 gr's of Universaly Clays, Red Duster wad, full load of hard shot. 1200 fps. perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. perazzipaul

perazzipaul TS Member

1 ounce of 8's 17.1 grains titewad powder, this load will break them back to 27 yard line hard. I use 23 grains 7625 for call birds in killers and long yardage call birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.