1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

favorite 20 ga. load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ProtecMan, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProtecMan

ProtecMan TS Member

I have just acquired a 525 20 ga. 32" and would like to hear what everybody's favorite load is. I have a 425 12 ga. 32" and have used a 1 oz. #8, 20 gr. Clays with a Windjammer 8 petal wad with great results.
    So give me some ideas for a great load!

Thanks,
    Mark

2. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

WAA20 with 12.9 gr international clays powder and aprox 13/16oz of 8.5 shot all in a AA hull as I haven't found any STS or Premier hulls yet. chronied at 1140-1145fps. clean and soft out of a citori lightning

3. ProtecMan

ProtecMan TS Member

Thanks for the reply! Keep'em coming!

4. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I lucked into a few pounds of IMR PB at a great price, so I tried it with some 20 gauge loads. My favorite load which really performs well so far is:
    Win. AA HS hull, 7/8 oz. 8-1/2's, DownRange DRV-20 wad, 16 gr. IMR PB powder, and WOLF primers. Great skeet load and I switch to 8's for sporting clays. ......Rick

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mark, your 12 ga. appears to me that you are shooting your l oz. load at about 1290 fps. Thats going to be hard to match with a 20 ga. load. Most 20's. load at about 1200 fps. You can find a few on Hodgdon.com reloading site only if you use Longshot powder if you want to try to match speed with your 20 load. I would not use a load with pressures over 11,ooo psi if you can help it. This would help with recoil abit and is better for your gun. You also do not tell us what type of shooting you are going to be doing with this load. Trap,skeet,sporting clays. If skeet is your game I would try to load both loads at 1200 fps. If sporting or handicap trap is your game load at about 1250 fps or so. If 16 yard trap is your game 1150-1200 is better. Its all up to you what you like. If you keep both loads the same the leads will be the same with both guns. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I love using Winchester Super-Field...work wonderful and extremely clean..it takes about 12.5gr over a claybuster AA clone wad..7/8oz of 7.5's for Quail, bunnys and clays...6's or 5's for pheasant or squirrels

7. ink ball

ink ball Member

I load 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads using Win 209 primers, AA hulls, Claybuster wads, and IMR 800X powder (16.5 grains, I believe...verify of course, if you decide to try this load). Velocity is 1200 fps per the loading manuals. I've been using this load since Winchester discontinued 473AA powder a very long time ago. I've been very happy with the 800X load. It runs lower pressure than many of the 20 gauge loads, and has patterned extremely well through many different guns. About the only negative is that 800X is a large flake powder. In theory, it may not meter as well as a smaller flake powder. However, I can't say that I've had any problems with metering.

8. ProtecMan

ProtecMan TS Member

My load for the 425 has consisently chrono'd at 1250-1255 fps with the 20 gr. of Clays. I see your point when looking at Hodgdon's data, I could slow that down just a little and be able to match the 525 20 ga. ballistics a little easier.
    I shoot mostly skeet and sporting clays, sorry guys, not much trapshooting! I've been on other forums on other websites and none of them compare to this one as far as objective shooters helping other shooters.

Thanks guys!

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used 16 gr Unique, ands 7/8 oz with WAA20 or clone wad in Remmy or Fed hull, or 3/4 oz in the AA hull for many years. Most any primer aside from the Fed 209A will work well.

The 3/4 oz load in the AA hull will surprise you out to about 35 yards. I have not had stellar patterns from high velocity loads in the 20.

10. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I like the new Alliant 20/28 powder for 20 and 28ga loads. Check the Alliant Powders web site for loading data. You can get to 1250. I have had the best luck with Downrange DRV-20 wads in AAHS hulls. These wads are slightly shorter than many others and give room for a nice crimp. Since the wads are slightly shorter make sure your wad seating ram is low enough to give a little wad pressure.

11. ProtecMan

ProtecMan TS Member

Thanks for the info guys!
    Sounds like I might back off my 12 gauge load a little and try and keep them both in the 1200 - 1225 range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best load for 1oz 20ga fed hull

downrange drv 20 load data

imr pb in 20 ga

imr pb load data fir 20 ga