1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatigue of a semi-auto shooter between rounds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I've been trying to get my son (12) Nick past that hump in the learning curve on his trap shooting. There is something he's missinjg (besides the clays) that I may have just pin pointed. His shooting has not been consistant. For example, the other night he was shooting singles and on the very first round he shot a 24, the next round he shot a 14. That's a drastic change and the change is usually more suttle. I've narrowed down two things that are probably causing this. 1) he's letting the misses get to his head and 2) (this is my concern today and what I ask advice for) He's getting fatigued holding the gun up.

He's shooting a 28" 391 Beretta that has been fitted to him. On singles he restes the butt of the gun on the trap post and when it's his turn he closes the bolt, lifts the gun to his shoulder, points in, calls for the bird and shoots. The gun is heavy for him (I recently was told by him) to hold pointed in and get composure before calling for the bird, so he does rush it a bit. When he's shooting yardage, he rests the butt of the gun on his right knee with his leg bent up a bit (on his tip toe) until it's his turn.

My question is: Is it an acceptable practice to rest a semiauto barrel down on a pad with the bolt open? He's a VERY safe and conscience shooter and I think HE would be safe that way, but is it "acceptable"? Is there a better way for him to rest the gun between shots?

Lastly, is there a lighter muzzle gun than a 391 that you can suggest? He's not recoil sensative and prefers the 12 over a 20.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Mike

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Is it an acceptable practice to rest a semiauto barrel down on a pad with the bolt open?

Purchased for my wife a very nice magnetic leather pad just so she can do that.
    joepotosky_2008_030355.jpg

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

My grandaughter - age 11 has been shooting a 391 for a year. She rests it bbl down on one of those rubber pads that have the magnet insert - no problems for her.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

bd457, I'm not trying to be stupid but most 12yo boys should easily handle a Beretta auto. If not, maybe it's time to suggest he correctly mount that thing a few dozen reps each night until he develops sufficient arm strength. I'm only saying this because I started my 10.5 yo boy with a Krieghoff O/U with no weight issues!!

5. BD457

BD457 Member

Sorry about missing the vital info there. He's 95lbs and a fairly energetic and active kid. He's not weak and he's not BIG. He's about average if there is such a thing. He plays basketball, surfs and wrestles. I think I'll get him the pad and have him slowly raise the gun to his shoulder and hold it there for a 10 count each night for whatever repititions seem to work out.

I appriciate all your input.

Mike

6. yakimaman

Again, my 11 year old grandaughter started in a youth trap program. They were taught how to correctly mount the gun (in her case a 391, now a BT 99) and were assigned "home work" for every night. She was to mount that gun 50 times a night. 10 reps x 5 every evening. Tiring at first, but not any more.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The magnetic pad thing should help. Personally I use a break open gun and rest it on my toe but I hate to see somebody do that with a semi-auto.

John C. Saubak

8. yakimaman

Rules for youth shooters specifically forbid resting the gun on their foot.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

See there, BD457, you just need to buy your kid a Krieghoff O/U...so there!

People here can be idiots sometimes. If you kid is able to shoot 24, he's doing something right. Get him a piece of carpet on a string, have him do some gun lifts, and just keep at it.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SCTP has the only rules against youth resting a gun on their shoe AIM/ATA do not forbid it. That said, resting an auto on your shoe period is a bad idea.

Gun lifts and a barrel pad. Practice Practice

11. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

He is 12. He is lifting a 7+ lb gun at shoulder level 50 times in short order. It takes adults time to build up strength, and even longer for youth.

At the same point there is mental fatigue and fatigue associated with recoil. Yes its a gas gun probably shooting light loads... the laws of physics say there will STILL be some recoil. It takes time to become more resistant to this as well.

Congratulate him for great shooting on the first round. As mentioned above, build strength through drills at home and he will be shooting great in multiple rounds.

12. oleolliedawg

buzz-gun, silly comment. The real comparison was weight-not cost. The Krieghoff was obviously a bit heavier. 2.5 weeks later #1 son broke his first 25 straight and went on to make 4-ATA All-American teams with that heavy gun-all 85 lbs. soaking wet.

Please tell us your real life experience!!

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

You made your comment, I made mine. So I guess this kid should just go on and make some kiddies All-American teams, eh? There, that will fix it.

The poster was looking for help, and the other posters were trying to be helpful, not put this his kid down or tout their own.

At least this guy's kid is still shooting.

14. oleolliedawg

Well, buzz-gun, it seems like a few posters agreed more gun lifts are the way to success-regardless of what gun the kid's shooting. Sure seems like the original poster is doing a few things right by getting the gun properly fitted. Are you suggesting a .410 Mossberg pump might be a better approach based on your real life experiences!!

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Put a key pad in the stock so he can practice texting in between shots. His muscles should build up nicely. (J/K)

The foam pad with the magnet makes it all easy, actually.

HM

HM

16. BD457

BD457 Member

I'm really glad to hear all the recommendations are close to the same. The 10' wall chart goes up this week-end (had it for a few months but couldn't decide where to put it) and we'll do a round or two a night on it.

I was also a bit worried by reading the replies that there wasn't any conflict and name calling between posters or the OP (Highly unusual here), but I was relieved to find all is well and good on TS.comm when I logged in this morning and found both in this thread ;-)

Love this forum,

Mike

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My grandson is in the Welding program at the local tech college. He swears by Gatorade, says water isn't enough.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.