1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Father's Day Coming !!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by atashooter, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atashooter

atashooter Member

Father

What sayings did your Dads use?

My Dad used to say..." Geez, if your brains was gunpowder, you wouldn't have enough to blow your nose"...

2. philk

philk Member

It was when he didn`t say anything that I got real worried.

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I think I will take advantage of Father's day to tell my wife about the last new gun I bought. She might not be as angry on my day. I'm getting tired of hiding it and cleaning it when she is gone. She saw it in the corner of the closet yesterday but I don't think she knows the difference between all my guns anymore. Maybe on Father's day I will dare to bring it out in the open and clean it and see if she notices. Then I can say, "this old thing, I've had it forever."

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

One of the things my Dad told me whenever he let me use his car was..............

Don't worry when someone passes you, they aren't going to take the road with them." lol

He passed away in 1976 and I still miss him.

Hauxfan!

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mine died when i was two years old. Never heard him say anything. Missed not having a dad at times. Bulge.

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Sorry to hear about your growing up without a dad. Mine kept me informed of what I did right and wrong the whole time he trained me to be a parent and man. I miss him since he's been gone. When I was looking for a career he told me to "find something that will support your family that you like to do and stick with it." That's the best advice I guess I got from him. When I was in my teen years and doing something wrong he'd tell me to "get my head out of my ass." He was the best wing-shot and hunter I ever met. Sure was tough watching the strongest man I ever met go down. Dan

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I missed him when he was alive and that has not changed since he died ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

My father worked from the day he started milking cows on the farm as a boy to the day before he had the stroke that eventually took him from us at 84 years old. He worked at something every day, whether it was gardening, yard work, building, or his passion, splitting wood. He was an arborist by trade, so you can imagine the work he did every day in his prime. Even in the last years of his life, he would still estimate jobs and grind stumps for the business he began in 1954. When someone would ask him why he worked so much, he'd always say, "I can't help it, I'm just cursed with ambition." His was truly our greatest generation.

9. drucker

drucker TS Member

"Get a job dumbass." "Oh yeah, in a different town, if not state."

10. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Mine had several, and thankfully I still get to hear some of them. But my all time favorite; "Boy you haven't got sense enough to pour piss out of your boot". Sure glad I never got any in there!

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

My dad used to tell me to be still by saying "Boy your like a fart in a skillet". Damn I miss him!

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Sad Father's Day for my Dad died in April, 2009. I think about him every day although I failed to do that while he was with us. Funny how things go. I would give anything to talk to him today. Darrell

13. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I miss my dad, lost him 16 years ago, hard to believe. His favorite saying was "Good things come to those who hustle while they wait." Kim

14. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

My father has so many sayings. I think his favorite is "buy you books and buy you books, do ya read 'em, nope, you boys just sit around and eat the pages!"

Then there is, "hold her head Newt, she's headed for the barn!" This is usually followed by him wrecking the four wheeler or running into something.

I almost died three years ago when I called on Christmas on day and asked him what he got. He replied, "A piece of ass and new pair of shoes, neither one of 'em fit very well." I thought my mother was going to kill him!

Seems every time I visit, he has some new ones. He remembers his father and grandfather saying them and a few he just makes up. He's quite the character.

15. Carl7650

Carl7650 TS Member

My Dad use to tell me before the wiping,,,,this is going to hurt me more than you.He passed in 68 as I turned 17 and I wish he could of been around longer to see that I did turn out ok. And I miss him too.:(

16. gotbass

gotbass Member

I think my all time favorite saying of my Dad's when we were outside doing some thing was "It's so nice out I think I'll leave it out." When I was little we lived on a ranch and there were always some brown bottles in the barn near the stall for the cows or horses. I asked my Dad what the bottles were for and he said that when the stock was sick he would get a new bottle, drink the contents (booze) and then rub the bottle on the cow or horse whatever. That way they would both feel better. My dad also believed that kicking a tractor hard enough would help with mechanical problems, darn funny at a distance. He sure knew cattle and horses and was just born at least a century to late. I hope that I handle a terminal illness with a 10th of the grace he showed. For those of you whose Dads are still are still alive, if you do not do something with them on a regular basis, start now. Do not let your Dad die without having said those things that you will wish you had said. That is my advise.

17. drh08

drh08 TS Member

My dad had some good ones also, keep in mind he was 5'9" and weighed about 150-160 lbs his entire life.

1. " I am going to kick your a?? clean up the back of your neck"
    2. " I would love to meet him in a dark alley" ( yea pretty sure he would have gotten his butt kicked with that one.

3. When he was around people he didn't like " I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire"

Mine died last year June 10th, so this is my 2nd father day without him. I never new what a saint he was until he died. Our Mom is crazy and we never knew it, what a job he had.

18. Damifino

Damifino Member

Whenever I did a half a$$ job of something, my dad used to say: "Every artist signs his work.". - Man that pissed me off.

Miss the heck out him now. Wish he could see my son grow up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.