1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Father needs advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MXDoug, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MXDoug

MXDoug TS Member

I am really hoping someone can help me. My son and I have been shooting trap for a while now. I can consistently break 20+ each round but my son Dylan (13 yrs old) can’t hit anything. The strange thing is when we started I was lucky to break 10 while he would break 15-20. You guys know how frustrating that can be; Dylan has left almost in tears. Last week I had the official set the machine to throw everything straight. Standing behind him, it appeared he missed everything high and to the right.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks Doug

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1. Go to the patterning board, and from 13 yards shoot a few targets to see if the gun is shooting straight. It should hit the center of the target horizontaly and a couple inches high vertically.

2. When shooting the straight aways on the trap field have him close his non shooting eye and see what happens. HMB

3. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

send me an email to pkiner@philkiner.com and I will send you my cell number or you can send me a number and I will call you. I can suggest several things to try so that you know what is going on. PK

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Unfortunately you have 13 years invested with him and you cant just do the normal trapshooter way of fixing a problem and getting rid of him and getting another one to try.

Come on now ... most do it ... the get rid of one gun and get another because it aint the shooter but the gun that cant hit the targets and it aint the shooter but its the shells and ... well ... look for a local range, maybe the one you shoot at every week or possibly another one in the local area and see when a class might be in the area or do you have a local SCTP program in the area? Get him involved with that and the coach will surely know how to help him improve his target crushing skills.

5. JLW

JLW TS Member

Commendations to Mr. Kiner!

Start with Mr. Kiner and the pattern board. He may have put on a growth spurt and the gun does not fit him now?-Jerald MI

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

does he shoot left handed- where is the comb resting on his cheek- is his face still fimrly on the gun after the shot is made(act like you put a shell in the gun, close it and let him fire at a clay target- obviously with norecoil- does he jerk up with his head? and mr kiner is right--call him

7. mdk3280

mdk3280 TS Member

Hat's off to Phil Kiner -- a stand up guy!

Here is a professional who makes his living teaching trapshooting and yet he has the time to make a courtesy call to this father and son in an effort to help improve junior's shooting effort.

We need more Phil Kiner's in the world WHO CARE AND TAKE THE TIME to make a positive difference in others' lives!

Mr. Kiner, I salute you.

8. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

My hat's off to Phil Kiner as well.You have my upmost respect.

Yes, we have met.We were at a State shoot and Bret Hamilton,or
    JR borrowed my golf cart and someone took it.You brought him back to where I was at.He said Charlie someone took your golf cart.I said thats your tuff $hit you better go find it.Needless to say Phil took him all over looking for the cart.About an hour later here they came with the cart.Both with a big smile on their face.So Phil not only helps here,he is always there to help those that may need a hand.

Bocephas

9. acss

MXDOUG-- wud you do us a favor and let the forum know how your son progresses from here and phils diagnosis! we have all seen problems and had our own remedies good or bad. i cudnt tell you how many kids have shot with me who came out and had good first scores but suddenly go backwards? i have had the goodfortune of speaking w/ mr kiner and buy trap& field for his column as well as the others. hoppe wrote onetime on "it aint always how it looks".. wally riebesell

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

sounds like your son has started thinking......in the begining I think alot of shooters do better than exspected, pure reaction shooting. Then they start thinking, changeing things blah blah blah.

11. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I might try an eye exam. You said that he was hitting targets when you both started, but things may have changed. Just my .02

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Wow! I wish I was Phil Kiner. Everybody likes HIM! Sounds like they think he's God......you're not are you Phil?

BB

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"Mr. Kiner, I salute you."

Why? Is he about to rock?

14. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Phil is one of the true gentlemen in our game.
    Sonny

15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Phil is the best. Is always willing to help an individual and spend time. Never to busy.

16. acss

ok- doug, i refrained from giving my opinion and cant wiat to hear what kiner has to say- but in the mean time--i think your son is pulling his head up off the stock.this can come from ill gunfit, getting too far down on the rib and then pulling up to see whats going on or just plain old recoil making him pull off !!! the unknown dryfire will demonstrate that point. good luck

17. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

MXDoug, I can appreciate your pain, as I have a young son myself. As a father, I recommend that you stop shooting for a moment and just talk. In many endeavors in life we start out and things come very easily. We think that things will always get better. Often for a while they do...until they do not. This is an important life lesson and you have an increadibly rare opportunity with your son to both share the struggle and provide a lifelong memory that will guide him the rest of his life.

Sometimes we have to start over. From zero there is no place but better. Forget the birds you have hit. Forget the birds you have lost. Life is a series of nows. There is only this instant. Then it is gone. Lost forever. On its trailing edge is the birth of a new instant to seize and make your own.

MXDoug. Test his eyes. See if he shakes his gun when he calls for the bird. Ask him if he wants to shoot. Kids are kids. But, I believe that you have an awesome opportunity for a life lesson and I am confident that if you care enough to ask for help then you are wise enough to realize that it is not about the targets or the guns...but the nows and the us.

Break em up

Jim

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My hats off to Phil, volunteering to help someone he has not seen, just to help some youngster. By all means , get Phil to help, one of the true "Experts" in the game.
    By the way , I had contacted Phil before the Grand and he took me to the practice trap to try and help me. Thanks again, Phil.

Charlie Becknell,

19. anthony

anthony TS Member

hats off to Phil.. and hats off to all who comes forward at the clubs to help a brother... i was one of those guys 20 years ago... and i still thank the guy who took me under his wing..now i wish my son would like to shoot... i almost got him to go..about 7 years ago he was sitting on the top of the bench (where the shooting bags are placed)and a old fart pulled him off and said they are made for bags not for asses... he cried and i told the guy that he just ruined a future shooter.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Doug, There is no advice I can give you that Phil can not do better. Not only do I suggest you use his advice and give him a call, but all of us on TS.com would very much like to know how your son does in the future. Please do keep us informed of his progress. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.