1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Father kills 7 year old son at gun store!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Some people are too damn stupid to own a gun!

7-year-old shot and killed at Mercer County gun store
    December 8, 2012 3:47 pm

A 7-year-old boy was shot and killed in the parking lot of Twig's Reloading Den in East Lackawannock Township Saturday morning. (Mercer Co., Pennsylvania)

A 7-year-old boy was shot and killed in the parking lot of Twig's Reloading Den in East Lackawannock Township Saturday morning.

By Erich Schwartzel / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A 7-year-old boy was shot and killed in the parking lot of a Mercer County gun store this morning.

Mercer County emergency dispatchers said the boy was shot at Twig's Reloading Den, 8388 Sharon Mercer Road in East Lackawannock Township, shortly before 11 a.m..

People at the scene said the boy's father, identified by state police as 44-year-old Joseph V. Loughrey of Sharpsville in Mercer County, had brought a rifle and handgun to the store to try to sell them.

The shop's owner, Gladys "Twig" Mohney, said she told Mr. Loughrey that she doesn't buy guns and that he left the store. She said she then heard a pop but thought it was a nearby hunter, and didn't know anything had happened in the parking lot until she saw police and firetrucks outside. When she went out she saw paramedics trying to revive the boy, Craig Allen Loughrey.

Mr. Loughrey told police that he had emptied the pistol's magazine but didn't realize a bullet was still in the chamber when he got back into his pickup truck. He said the gun went off, with the bullet striking his son, who was sitting in the passenger seat.

Imy Howard, who owns the Howard & Son Meat Packing store next to Twig's, said her son heard a single gunshot that sounded closer than the usual shots heard from nearby hunters. They later saw police and ambulance crews surrounding a body in the parking lot.

The Mercer Fire Department, Superior Ambulance, Mercer Police, State Police and the coronor responded. The fire department and local police were still on the scene this afternoon.

A website for the store said the shop includes a target range, and it also sells fishing and hunting gear. Mrs. Howard said the store had target shooting in its back parking lot last week, but did not have it this morning.

A Twig's employee who did not identify herself said the incident was "just an unfortunate accident" and that state police were conducting an investigation.

No other injuries were reported. State police are investigating and said this afternoon that they don't expect to file charges in what they described as an accident.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-north/7-year-old-shot-and-killed-at-mercer-county-gun-store-665486/#ixzz2EV8ivlX0

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Idiots

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That ain't no accident. That's plain and simple negligence!!! What an idiot.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

At a Gun Show in Ohio in the 90's, somebody put a 12-gauge round through the ceiling at the check-in table at the front door. He'd got the gun out of his truck to come sell it, forgot it was loaded, and when they asked him to open it at the front door - he pulled the trigger! (Because on a pump shotgun, the bolt will open after the trigger is pulled, duuhhhh...)

At least he didn't have it pointed at his own child...sheesh.

Just last year at a local gunshop, a wingnut brought his centerfire bolt rifle in to trade. The guy behind the counter dryfired it without checking the chamber. When he opened to bolt...a dummy round fell out. It was pointed up, and there is an archery range upstairs.

I don't go there anymore.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I am thinking there is going to be more to the story.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

What can be worse than killing you own kid? Poor kid never knew what happened. God bless his soul.

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

If he cares he wont have very many good nights sleep the rest of his life, I dont know if I could live with myself IF an accident like that was my fault.

It sad to happen this time of year.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    But but but the gun just went off! I took the magazine out of it!

Dumbass.

Criminally negligent homicide charges should be filed.

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

This idiot carried a loaded semiauto into a gun store - with a round in the chamber - if he gets out on bail, the next round he fires should be into the side of his own head.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Guns don't GO OFF! Something happens to make it discharge! Almost always some idiot pulls the trigger!!!!!!

11. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Keep perspective: For every unconscionable firearm-related death...there are DOZENS of vehicle related deaths....many a parent has run over their own child while backing out of the garage....

We simply cannot legislate judgment and common sense....given 300 million plus people, there are millions of reckless, unthinking morons!

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

"Loughrey put the boy in the passenger seat and loaded the rifle into the truck, state police said. He was attempting to get inside and reached to put the handgun in the center storage console when it fired, they said."

First thing I ever do when I pick up a firearm is open the chamber, if it is not open already. Then I check the chamber. I realize not all people think this way but, to climb into the truck, and be pointing the gun toward his son at any time even putting it in the console just seems odd. He may have been upset that he could not sell the guns and threw the pistol in the console, but in the least he should have made sure it was empty. After all, it is going to be inches away from your 7 year old son. Still seems odd. Wonder what type of pistol it was?

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't let Bob Costa hear about this.

HM

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

After all the activity of trying to sell the gun, etcetera, he never pulled the slide back? This fellow needs a polygraph test. Where is an intelligent cop when you need him?

15. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so fast to judge here. A horrible tragedy occurred and no doubt there is more to the story. Nothing in our justice system can make this right again. A parent losing a child is the most horrific thing a parent can experience, ask any of them. Having this happen in this manner even more painful. I will keep the whole family in my thoughts and prayers. May God bless this little boy who lost his life way too soon.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Its never 'one thing' that went wrong. This incident saw violations of at least 3 and maybe 4 of the standard safety rules of firearms handling.

The gun was loaded and the person handling the gun believed it was unloaded (check to make sure its unloaded AND treat every gun as if it was loaded.)

The trigger was unintentionally pulled (finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.)

The gun was pointed at the kid (never point the gun at anything you don't want to shoot.)

Any one of those things, if done properly, prevents this unintentional death.

17. claykiller

claykiller Member

Pyrdek:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but your writing is atrocious. Next time just post the link to the news paper article.

18. rsikole

rsikole Member

I don't think Prydek is the first one on Trapshooters.com to display "atrocious" writing skills......:)

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used to work at a gunstore. You would not believe how many times I took a gun from a customer who brought it in and I found a round in it. It actually happens a lot. When a customer walked in with a gun, we never took our eyes off of it until we had it in our hands and cleared it becuase we knew what the chances were of it being loaded

20. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Claykiller,

Not to call you one but some people who accuse others do act like a "dick". The article quoted is a direct copy (cut and paste) of the article posted on the QUOTED newspaper web site except for the very first line which is my own entry. Of course just checking this out for yourself would have prevented you from making attributions that are unsubstantiated.

Or do you disagree that this father is so careless and/or stupid that he SHOULD still own a gun?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.