1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatal Mistake

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mjmoo, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjmoo

mjmoo TS Member

On July 7, early (0500) I noticed my garage door was open. I had put my guns and shooting bag there because I was going to set up the fields and machines at our club (Naperville) after work ASAP. My two Browning 525's and my shooting bag (with everything I take to an ATA shoot) were gone.If anybody sees a 32" 525 adjust. comb with a Ron-Jon surf shop sticker on the buttstock, or somebody in DuPage or Cook or Kane County Illinois wearing a white White Flyer hat that doesn't look like they'd possibly be a competitive shooter, be suspicious or let me know; mjmoo@aol.com, cell 6302917743. Losing your guns is one thing, but the shooting bag was all personal (Rx rangers, trophy box holders, etc.) Thanks for keeping your eyes open.
    Mike Moore

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Mike so sorry to hear of your loss. I had my best trap gun stolen last week under similar circumstances. Lotta f***heads out there.
    Bill Wheeler

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Sorry to hear about your loss but it's not fatal, guns and stuff can be replaced, it could have been worse. I hope they catch the thieves lock them up throw away the key and you get your stuff back.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Another reason not to put a release trigger on a gun, sure to shock the s--t out of a thief.
    But then he could sue you for not having the R on the gun.

Phil Berkowitz

5. mjmoo

mjmoo TS Member

Most of the stuff I'll get at the Grand vendors. I'm still negotiating with my insurance Co. I specifically had my guns listed, so there is no deductible on those, but I had them valued at purchase price, which is considerably less than replacement price. I will only get money enough to buy one gun. I should have had the appraised, but was lazy and didn't plan on having them stolen. Note to all you guys; Have your gun(s) appraised and insured for that value, because if you need to replace them it is going rate!

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

No not going rate, depends on your policy and the company. Did you have replacement cost?? sounds like you had actual cash value?

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Mike, if you are a NRA member check with them for how much coverage they allow you. I know 35 years ago it was built into your membership fees.

8. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

if they were specifically scheduled then it is replacement cost up to the amount that they were insured for. So if you pick say $5000 as the value and its replacement cost is $6k, then you get the full $5k, however if you have it insured for $5k andits replacement cost is $4500, then you only get the $4500.

Good luck getting them back, Paul

9. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Sorry to hear that mjmoo. I have been wondering about the NRA insurance for a stolen weapon or weapons? I am a newer member (2 years or so). Thankfully I have not had any incedents and hope to never have one. I called the NRA to ask about my coverage and they told me that I am covered for theft, accidental life and accidental injury. How would I prove a stolen weapon? I have a receipt for the gun I shoot currently. I also have a few other fire arms that I don't have receipts for. Anyone have any info on this. Do I need to list any of these guns with them? I would assume not. Having a data bank of people's fire arms seems to go against everything that the NRA stands for.

Regards,

Christopher Monaco

10. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Trapguns are NOT weapons. Knives,bombs,molitove cocktails etc. are weapons. I can't stand someone calling a sporting arm a weapon especially on TV. Sorry... I can't say it nice enough.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the anti's really wanted to put a damper on trafficking in stolen guns they'd make theft of a gun a mandatory 20 year sentence without early parole, instead of trying to ban or register our guns.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

See... The exception to the rule! Nothing better then when a scum bag blows off part of his body with a stolen "weapon" and Yes.. I feel exactly the same way you do about the word weapon. I weapon is something used to hurt/kill a person in my way of looking at things. Jeff

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A weapon might be described as anything used to hurt another? A stick, ball bat,rocks etc.etc!! I hate to use of the word "weapon" used to describe anything as such till used as such!! I guess it depends on what points one want to get across in a descriptive manner that may influence another, BS is my view.

My knives are just that till I cut someone with them on purpose!! GM AFB!

Hap

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When I was at the police academy, we were instructed in the finer legal points of the word "weapon".

A DEADLY WEAPON was something designed for the purpose of being lethal, like a firearm or sword.

A DANGEROUS WEAPON was something not designed for the purpose of being lethal, but which could be used as such. This could be a baseball bat, hammer, shovel, etc.

The purpose of this distinction was for different penalties depending on which category of weapon was used.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Mike, As I was reading your post, I realized that when I was at Maywood Sportsmans club last Wednesday night I saw a shotgun with the surf shop sticker in the stock. Can tell you what kind of shotgun it was but I thouhgt interesting sticker for a shotgun. You may want to go to Maywood this Sunday and next Wednesday and look around see if your gun is there. I will be there both days and if I see the gun again I'll get a closer look at mfg and so forth.
    Bruce

16. mjmoo

mjmoo TS Member

I don't think I've seen a Ron Jon surf shop sticker on any other gun in 7 years of ATA shooting My main gun (with sticker) is a 32" Browning 525 Sporting with adjustable comb with one DeVault foam washer spacer in the comb, rubbed walnut stock and schnabel forestock. If you see that, it's mine. Thanks for being aware. I bought a new 625 and shot it 1st time Thursday night at Naperville, and just got my check from Insurance Co. yesterday. Lost 2 guns, got enough money to buy one! Thanks for the info, leaving for Sparta Tuesday AM

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

With so many people heading to Sparta and the Cardinal for the Grand and Classic, make sure to keep track of all your stuff. Lets don't let some a-hole turn your trip into a bad one. Don't leave your guns and valuables in plain site and most of all when you go to your room or camper for the night, take your guns and valubales in with you. It only takes a few minutes to unload and then load your stuff back up but can take a lifetime to replace it all if it gets stolen. Just say'n.........................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tv mjmoo