1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fasting before blood tests

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapshooterjoe7, Aug 5, 2013.

1. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Just do as he said, anything can change your sugar levels.Dr knows best...Joe

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I often have to have blood test and need to fast before I get my blood taken. One time,I forgot and drank tomato juice before I went.

A few days later he called and said my blood levels were not right and requested that I have it done again. I would suggest make your appointment as early in the day as possible.

Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Alot of the guys on here if given an enama could then fit in a shoe box!! Jeff

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Jon,

There are a few answers to your question - much depends on what tests he is running - and what data he is looking for.

Typically 'clear liquids' with no added sugar, etc. are OK - black coffee should be fine, Powerade not.

UNLESS you are having tests done for specific items. e.g., a blood glucose level should be fine with water/tea/coffee - no added sugar, honey, milk. But there are some more specific tests that these may interfere with - some of the cholesterol/triglyceride tests for example.

If you are not sure it is worth a call to his nurse, or the lab itself for clarification.

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

"Don't tell me to ask him, as I have been told time and again- water only by him"!

Guess that answers your question.....

Jerbear

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's a common rule, but there is one problem that doesn't work with this procedure.

If you are hypoglycemic (the opposite of diabetic) Your sugar will go down after eating but will appear normal after not eating for a time. This is a PITA since it makes you really tired after eating. That will affect your scores if you have lunch before an event.

A glucose tolerance test, I believe is needed to check that problem.

My doc ok's black coffee, and I do need it in the AM to get the guts churning.

Lemon has low fructose, but I don't knoow how it would affect the test.

HM

7. white rattler

white rattler Member

water only is water only what part of this do you not understand. Trevor Dawe

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have to do the same thing only water or pure coffee, no additives

The one question I have always wondered is why do they do that? Is it to get the numbers they want to see, because it seems that if the stuff they were giving you worked the numbers should be right without fasting

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The place I use for blood test starts taking blood at 7am.

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Black coffee is ok. AJ

11. oldcop

oldcop Member

My Doc agrees with Texshooter.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why would you take anything but water if that is what they directed

Why would you mess with a test that might save your life?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

W C Fields had a very low opinion of water, something to do with fish activities as I recall.

I wonder how he managed the fasting routine before a blood test. Then again, was he ever sober?

I try to schedule my lab work for as early as possible and often can get 8:00 AM if I schedule a week in advance. Nothing but water after supper and water and very weak black coffee when I wake up. I take my meds and brush my teeth before I leave.

Ed Ward