1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fastest way to get the bird out of the house

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riss6270, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

Shooting this week i had a fella point out something that i didnt think about. When i say pull there is a pretty good delay from the time i say pull till the bird comes out. I was just wondering what the quickest way to get the bird out of the house was. What works the best for you all. What do the speakes need to hear to go off?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Apparently, the really loud hog caller on the next field over.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What Tim said and, when your not mentally ready to attack the bird! Hap

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Whatever they use in bunker.

I don't know if they use different electronics or if it's because the targets are faster but when you call "pull" in bunker, the targets in the air without any perceivable delay.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

87AA, bunker is instant release, trap is delayed a few hundreths of a second.

Hap

6. Fr. Bru

Fr. Bru TS Member

One of the most important lessons that I have ever learned in trap is about how I call for the target. When I first started shooting I more or less mimicked the other guys who had been shooting trap for a long time. Their method of calling for the target was very "sing-song." I found that it helped me to pace my shots from the time that I called for the target to the time that I pulled the trigger. It worked for me at the club that I regularly shot at.

However, when I began to shoot at other clubs I noticed that the rhythm that I was trying to replicate from my home club was nearly impossible. I consiststanly shot lower averages at other clubs because I couldnt find that "rhythm" that I was looking for.

My mentor suggested that I switch from a long prolonged call to a short, punchy monosyllabic call. From that point on, I have noticed seemingly instantaneous calls which have improved my averages both at my home club and at ones which I don't normally frequent.

-Fr. Bru

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The timing of the birds got better for me when I learned to put the speaker closer to where I stand, so close that I felt that it was in my way when I mounted the gun. Where you place the speaker makes a difference, as does you type of call (as stated above).

Of course, it really wasn't in the way...I was just not used to it.

Now if it's a hand puller, sometimes you need a friend with quick reaction time placed strategically behind where s/he can pinch the puller in the a$$ when you call.

8. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

riss6270

First thing you do befoe you start shooting a round of Trap, walk up to the Trap House and give the house a good kick, you want to make sure all the
    Birds are awake befoe you call pull...

Birddgo

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Of all the "pointers" that I got at Double D shooting school, the concept of seeing the bird before moving the gun or me is perhaps the most valuable. Even at my home club, the first registered shoot I entered, all the fields were setup and not all the voice units were in tip top shape. Actually they were older units , and there was seriously a 1/2 second delay, maybe longer on the more distant traps.

While I don't have this mastered just yet, every time I see some voice units like this I recall the torture of Dennis and Dean playing slow pull on the rookie (me). I would have my gun well on the way where I thought the bird would be going.....and they would be ready to pounce on me since no target had been launched.

And I did manage a 99 in singles having missed the 4th target out and then running the rest in my first registered shoot in Stockton.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Key your move to the bird from vision not timing, rhythm, or anything else.

11. tammike

tammike Member

The " P " syllable activates the voice release.

12. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

A lower hold point works for me.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Warning, this is 2nd hand. Our club had complaints over the years about slow pulls with our voice calls. One of our Never-Say-No types began to study just how they work and made contacts with the makers as needed. He reports that there is a built in device that does slow down the release to a point that was alleged to best resemble what you "should get" with skilled hand pullers. So our tenacious mechanic removed the device/item/? in the brain box for a full set of 5 voice calls. He also cleaned all the contacts and even replaced some of the box-to-horn wiring that was getting a bit ratty. When skilled, long-time shooters shot over those callers, there was a resounding appreciation for the nearly instantaneous bird in the air. The club converted all of them, I'm told. Some of the target throwers were also found to be mounted too low in some of the houses. Correcting those installations made a difference also.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

After selling and servicing Canterbury equipment for eleven years, this issue comes up every fall and early winter. Clubs that are using Pat Traps need to reset the brake a bit in colder weather to make the "release" of the target a bit faster. Pat's use the brake to stop the arm at point where there is almost no spring tension on the arm. Almost like a compound bow, once you draw it back its easy to keep it there until you release it. The brake on a Pat is more effective in cold weather so the arm stops a bit sooner. When the trap fires, the cocking motor "pushes" the arm past the brake and the trap fires, if the brake is incorrectly set there will be a perceptible delay.

Any hard consonant ( B, D, K, P, T) will deliver a sound "spike" which will throw a target. Bovine sounds, grunts, whistles and the like will throw targets too ... just not as effectively. The word PULL works great...

CVR's can be set to instant release like international birds. Most shooters don't like it that way but some clubs in the western US have set them up that way. It will pull you out of your shoes if your not used to it!!

From personal experience CVR systems tend to make shooters dependent on the machine or the sound of their call rather that reacting to the movement of the flying target.... not good if you want to break high scores.

Old Mike Kenjalo who was instrumental in teaching me to shoot trap used to pull for me and occasionally not push the button when I called...if my barrel so much as twitched, he would hit me across the back of my legs with a stick! Needless to say I don't move the gun before I see the bird so pulls that are not precise don't bother me much.

Shoot well,

Bob Schultz

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

take lessons from all-american mark zauhar

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

At some clubs how the trap is mounted in the house will effect how fast you see the bird. Mounted to far back a bird will look like a slow release. Too far forward the relase will look fast.

17. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Put the puddy tat into the trap house.

Birds hate puddy tats..

Mel Blanc schooled me on this one!

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

it's not well known but the CVR was designed with a 6/10 second delay to mimic a human Puller.

There is a to defeat this delay by making a switch setting in the internals. I shoot bunker but occasionally shoot ATA with CVR's. The delay is very disturbing. When you call on a bunker system the bird comes. You have to be ready when you call.

TB

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

TB,

Adctually its 4/10 of a second. Yes, it was put in to mimic a really good human puller. The newer boxes have a DIP switch inside to remove the delay and make it instant. Older boxes can be retro fitted with a switch to do the same. We do it in the shop and its a 1-2 day turn around.

Most folks are real comfortable with the little delay. Different traps and/or the location of the machine in the house can also have an effect on how quickly you see the target after the machine releases it. I can remember the old St. Petersburg Florida club had hand set traps that you could see the arm of the trap sticking out of the house from the line! No trouble with slow targets there...

My thought has always been to improve my techniques so variances in presentation and/or timing would have little effect on my shooting. Let's face it no two clubs are exactly alike, rather than let the traps beat you, learn how to beat them. Isn't that the point of our sport?

Bob

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Open up all the doors and windows and chase 'em out with a broom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.