1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fastest growing shooting sport?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I read today and was reported on Fox news, that the fastest growing shooting sport is SASS (Single Action Shooting Society): .44's, pre 1900 shotguns, & pre 1900 rifles. Or "Cowboy Shooting." Have any of you trapshooters tried this out?

2. shot410ga

Also, is your club involve in this sport. If not, maybe it's a way to bring some needed $$$$$$$$.

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

It's popular here in Washington State but too expensive for me. Besides needing 4 guns,(two 6 shooter a early shotgun such as a Model 97 and a old level action rifle in pistol calibre) you need the clothing of the period to wear. Renton Fish and Game club has a shoot (SASS) today. I myself would love to do it but I cannot afford it.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

SASS/Cowboy - is growing year by year... some of our guys/gals participate at a facility not too far from our range - the cost for a pair of period-type revolvers, rifle and a shotgun can add up, not to mention clothing, gun cart etc... but the diversity and changing events, building "sets" and developing an "old-west" identity seem to keep the folks really involved as well as attracting new participants into the program.

Good for them - they've injected some real renewed interest in the shooting sports, by bringing back the concept of playing cowboy/cowgirl, sheriff, Annie Oakley, Bill Hickock (sic?!) for adults!

Jay

5. gussy

gussy TS Member

I use to compete in SASS matches about 15 years ago. It was fun, basically it is a bunch of supposedly adult people playing cowboy. The sport itself is not that expensive, you can buy a set of revolvers, a rifle and a shotgun for $1500 to $2000. A typical match requires about 100 rounds of pistol/rifle ammo and a box of shotshells, entry fees are usually $20 to $30. Way less expensive than trap or any other clay game. Lots of opportunities to go to matches all over the country if you like to travel.

The only modern day flaw with the sport is that people tend to stray from the authentic weapons and ammo of the period and use more competitive gear such as slicked up .38 special revolvers firing extremely light loads and the M1897 Winchester pump shotgun. Those type of things win matches but they really never existed in the cowboy era.

You need a special range to hold a SASS match as it involves shooting multiple stages with several sub groups (possies). A regular trap range wouldn't work.

6. shot410ga

One more thing. Per Fox news, SASS now has over 88,000 active shooters. That's about 3 times what we have shooting ATA. It just seems to me if a club can get these people to shoot SASS at a trap club, some may start shooting trap. Just an idea, maybe a way to grow the clubs without a lot of added expense.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

My Izaak Walton has a fun day every year and last year we did a special "cowboy shoot", only instead of .44's we used .22's and we supplied all the ammo and guns. I tried it twice and it was pretty fun. We were also running trap that day, so as you said, it did get some people interested in trying trap. Josh

8. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Not all clubs are in the right place for pistol and rifle shooting. I know our club is not. As we have houses and farms too close for anything but shotgun games.

Rock

Jim

9. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I don't know that SASS is 88,0000 strong, that's probably just the badge number they're up to. They don't reuse numbers, and a lot of people don't re-up their dues. A better calculation would be the circulation of the SASS Cowboy Chronicle, newspaper for dues paying members which I think is around 40,000. Even still, SASS is bigger than the ATA because it is more fun and less competitive. It is not as expensive as trap either. Cheaper guns and less ammo costs per match than trap. Most cowboys reload also to reduce the ammo cost even more. For the cost of a Perazzi, you could buy all the top of the line guns for cowboy, two or three outfits, and several years worth of ammunition.

Cowboy was my first shooting sport before I became a shotgun coach for the school. I still enjoy it more. I do like some aspects of ATA like the way your score is recorded and kept up with on the ATA website. SASS doesn't do that and you can't even look a person's alias up except on a private run site (Piney Woods) that only knows about half the known aliases and their badge numbers. But trap is for the more "moneyed" competitive shooters, as I have seen people basically run off this forum because they either couldn't shoot 50 straight or because they didn't have at least a "B" brand over/under. There are some people in SASS that seem to be IPSC/USPSA people in jeans and boots, but most people are just there to have fun and be safe.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I shot the sport for a few years and have not shot it for two years (got into trap instead)

It is great for people who do not want to shoot a lot. You shoot "stages" that take 20-60 seconds depending on your ability. It takes about an hour for a posse to shoot each stage, Typically 5-6 stages in a one day match.

I loved to practice shooting "cowboy" but the matches are too slow for me. I like trigger time.

If you like to have fun and shoot the bull it is a great game. It is far less costly than trap and it is far less competitive. There are no pickup trucks as prizes (or money either).

There are a few "competitors" who take it seriously but most of the shooters are either older people that have passed that stage of their lives, or those who have never had the ability to be really good shots, but want to shoot and have fun.

They are a very friendly crowd and much better than trap shooters in making new shooters welcome. IMHO

Don aka Coffin Filler (SASS name)

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Don, even though MultiLakes gets a bad rap on here... there is cowboy action shooting at the outdoor range every Monday night from 4pm until dusk.

Just an FYI...

Jerbear

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Shot for several years. SixKiller badge 14390. Good people and a lot of fun. I still have most of my equipment. Sold spurs and a Colt 45 the other day. Still have an original colt(1st generation) two Rugers, An engraved 45 Taylor, and a .45 Cimmaron (1 of 2000). Marlin .45 cowboy rifle, Pedrasoli sharps in 45-70 and Mod. 97 Winchester with long and short bbls. 17 in. mule ear Olathe boots(worn twice)Galco holsters and belt as well as a complete set of holsters and belt that I had made for me.

I decided to get back into trapshooting several yrs. ago and quit shooting SASS. Beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. After inital investment of guns and clothes, SASS can be much less expensive. Steve

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

FlaLagarto, I'm not sure that southern Florida in summer is any worse than southern Arizona in the middle of summer. You don't need the wool long johns; I (Swivelchair Spread, #50442) dressed much as I do any other day, except for a leather belt, band-collar shirt and hat (my preference was an Akubra, but I've got Stetsons and a Bailey too).

My biggest problem is that the matches are too much the same from one month to the next, and the targets are too close and too big to present a real challenge. I shot IPSC back in the old days (1970's) and found it a real challenge as well as a lot of fun. I'd shoot IDPA, but I've gotten creakier as I've aged and I don't move so well. SASS at least recognizes this and provides classes for us older farts.

I still belong, but haven't shot since last year. Still have all of my gear (including one of the very scarce Australian 1887 Winchester copies - one of only 50 made, I'm told), but may sell some or even all of it off for a new BPCR rifle.

Overall, I'm far more likely to go to the trap and skeet club, which offers me more fun and less of the day expended.

Tony

14. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

That is one good thing about trap. You can get on an early squad and be going home after an hour unless you are going to shoot handicap. Cowboy shooting is an all day affair, shooting 3 stages before lunch and 3 after at most clubs. The club I belong to started a 4 stage Sunday afternoon match at a reduced cost, and that gets a large following I think just because it doesn't take all day, plus it is half price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.