1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fastest car you owned

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jawhawker, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

And did you have the brass to take it to the limit?

I had two, one a 68 cougar with reworked 302 Boss engine. The second a 66 Mustang with a 289. They would top_out almost identical.

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Martin, My first new car. A 65 GTO. And yes I had the balls or maybe I should say the lack of common sense to see what it would do. I made a rather sizeable contribution to the good old state of Kansas one night,but then again that's another story.

Steve

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Nova SS with lots of added extras, Boss Mustang, and a Shelby Mustang GT. No, I don't have those two hanging things. I did floor all cars, but never took any of them to top speed...I chickened out. I did overheat the Shelby enough to shut it down once, but that was because it was all chromed up under the hood.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

My 66 GTB topped about a buck55 as I recall but I only took it up to 140.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The 928 may be faster than the Ferrari. It had air and a good ride, though nothing could top the sound of the Ferrari's V12.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

1962 chevy nova with corvette engine. problem was the engine barely fit, and to much horsepower and to light of car. the car would fish tail all over the place. my uncle's engine. he purchased the car from me, exterior and interior like new, but i blew the original engine. he put something smaller in the nova, don't remember what he put in, but he would race it on saturday nights.
    steve balistreri

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The Brass to take it to the limit. Well, in my case, it was more like stupidity along with a lot of rum and coke.

I had a 73 Olds Cutlass with a 455ci motor. Don't know how fast it went, but it had a round speedometer and 120 was the max on the speedometer.

It would go well beyond the 120mph mark.

Hell, let's face it, I'm lucky to be alive. I'd never do it again.........

To much can happen when you are going that fast............and most of it is bad......

Hauxfan!

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

'96 GMC Yukon, maybe, but it had a cutout at 100 MPH.

'51 Chrysler New Yorker - 120MPH+ and would still keep climbing, long after I chickened out. Of course, I was somewhat younger in those days.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

A '60' Corvette with a '69' 350 with 370 hp. Backed off a little over a hundred. Could pop the clutch and lift the front end. Loved that car. Murray

The story of how I parted with it is a sad one.

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

My 69 Lotus Europa would do 130 mph flat out. I did that more than once. Pretty impressive when you consider all I had was 1700 cc and about 120 hp. I had part interest in a 57 Belaire coupe with a 427 Rat motor that would do low 12s all day long and for a brief while, I had an 86 Mustang (former CHP car) that easily hit 140 as I proved the last time I drove it :(.

11. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

1963 Vette 4 speed muncie rock crusher with a built up small block motor and the off road package. One day I took it out into the country and had it up 135 and climbing. A culvert showed up real fast. I ran over a tall culvert(the road goes up 5-6 feet over the culvery pipe). The car sailed for a 100 yards in the air(dukes of hazard style). Skeered the poop out of me. Front shockes had a little oil leaking out of them. Otherwise the car survived fine. I am still alive. whew!!! Todd

12. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

63 split-window "Vette, I backed off at 150.Young-dumb-and invincible...

Larry

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Fastest car was a 1963 Z-11 chevy---turned the qtr in the low 11's---was a great car until the 1964 Ford fairlanes showed up & when the Sox & Martin Hemi's came around Chevy & Ford were toast. Had an old Garlit's car the best I ever turned with it was 186---but it was not a car it was a dragster.

Lou

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1973 Pantera, 1970 Boss Mustang ( with 4 sp, all power windows cruise everything, very rare), 1957 Olds J-2 stick shift, 1960 Bonn tri power, and an old 37 ford with an Olds rocket engine

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

78 Transam would turn 112mph through the quarter but before I changed rear ends it would run 137 by radar.(wasn't funny either) I drove my bro in laws 70 R/T 440 155MPH. I had several mustangs(still have 66 in the yard) fastest of which was a 89 LX 302. Never had it wide open but saw 130's numerous times. Gave it to my daughter to drive to college, wish I had it back. Most fun was the Transam, it would smoke em as long as you would hold it. The first time I let my 17 year old son drive it to go get a loaf of bread and it was almost a half a mile from the house I could hear when He left the store.(Engine and tires squalling.) He acted as though he hadn't done a thing. I didn't say much as I would have done the same thing. My present 06 F150 4.6 engine with super chip and some minor mods tops out at 133. Jackie B.

16. Juno

Juno TS Member

Damn, you guys had or have some NICE cars!!!

Juno

17. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Had several '69 Z/28 Camaro's one '68 vette,but the fastest was a Honda V-65 Magna motorcycle, at least in the 1/4 mile that is.Don't know how to post pic's.

crab

18. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

I was part owner of a Top Fuel dragster in 1987-1988. Best run 5.13 at 290 mph.
    I never drove the car. I just worked on it and helped pay the bills.

Snookassassin, Clif Adams

19. 682b

682b Member

Omgb, Mine was a 73 #0024R It ran about like yours. 125-130 flat out. It ran great till a Oldsmobubble hit it. Ouch.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Crab, I have had three V-65's, still own a 1984 that I bought new.Too fast for me at my age but I had one at 145 mph once. Young and stupid. This is the only photo I could find, can't see that it is mint and seat is a Corbin with two tone leather ( black and burgandy to match bike)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.