1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast Shooters -Techniques To Break The Target FAST

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by njuliano, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njuliano

njuliano Member

How do you break the target FAST ?

I have noticed for singles that if you can break the target quickly out of the house you gain an advantage in a few area's. The target is larger, background changes less and wind is less of a factor. I have been working on this and keeping a higher hold point and watching the edge of the house to pick up the target quicker. I have had some good success with it so far but, I can see it will take a lot of practice to really get it down.

My question is if you can share any techniques or good practice routines to help improve breaking the target quickly. Any information on Gun Hold and Eye Hold would be helpful also.

Thanks for your help,
    Nick

2. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Buy Leo's DVDs.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Drop your hold point.. usually to the lower..back edge of the house.. You already know the 5 starting positions.. DO NOT..move the gun till the target passes your barrel and is over the barrel.. Move in a steady..rapid approach to the target... Now the tricky part..You pull the trigger of the faster moving gun when you first see the target and barrel in the same picture.. reaction time is about 1/10 of a second..The faster moving barrel will actually be in front of the target by the time you really pull the trigger.. This needs to be fine tuned to YOUR shooting and reaction time.. When done correctly.. the target..from the 27 yard line will usually be less than 15 feet in the air when you inkball it.. And yes.. everything you said about shooting the target quickly is true.. especially on a windy day..

Really.. what you have is a fully controlled mad swing at the target..It comes in handy for doubles and bunker..once you have it established.. It does take alot of practice to be in control of this style..but once established..you feel good..and look good.. From the 20 yard line.. because of the increased angles..the targets get a little higher.. The farther back you go.. the more you drop your hold point to increase the speed of your barrel.. That gives you additional leed for the longer distance the shot has to travel..(especially useful on slower speed shells).. From the parking lot I hold at the bottom of the house.. All Good.. Mike

4. njuliano

njuliano Member

Thanks Mike. By the "lower back edge of the house", that is the edge on the side you are standing or the edge where the target exits ? Also where is your eye hold, over the gun sight or below the barrel ?

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

PBB, interesting suggestion on holding the gun lower. I also had a decent shooter at the club once tell me to shoot them faster and as I tried it, it seemed to work well. As you said, not perfect, but most of them time pretty well. Even shots that I thought would have been a miss when I pulled the trigger were ink balls.

I am actually also really curious to try this out because I shoot with one eye (second is open, but not concentrating) so I wonder if this lower hold will work better for me. In Kay's class, he talked about holding the gun higher and using two eyes to see around and below the barrel, but I could not do this if my life depended on it. Just the way my eyes work, it doesn't work for me to keep the gun above the house.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

See the target fast, break the target fast.

7. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

My key to breaking a target fast is a high shooting gun. All of the guns i have ever shot will go 120% or higher. I will hold on the outer lip of the trap house and call for a target. As soon as the target clears the house i have it broken. I only move my gun side to side for angles. I still have young good eyes and see a target alot faster than alot of the older shooters. Twice ive had the shoot stop because the gentleman shooting after me was waiting for me to call for my target and shoot after i had already shot and broke the target. When i shoot my buddy games I shoot and break the target before my partners even see the target. BYG

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

V10's got it. The key to breaking the target fast is SEEING the target fast.

John C. Saubak

9. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Seeing is the key! Phil |S.

10. drbortone

drbortone Member

TOTALLY AGREE SEE THE TARGET..NOT JUST LOOK AT THE TARGET..SEEING THE TARGET WILL START THE PURSUIT MOVEMENT OF THE EYES...THE GUN WILL FOLLOW..WHAT APPEARS TO BE SLOW IS SMOOTH (GUN MOVEMENT) AND SMOOTH IS FAST. SPEED TO BREAK THE TARGET CAN ONLY HAPPEN WHEN THE EYES ARE LOCKED ON THE TARGET. DON'T TRY TO MAKE A CONSCIOUS ACT OF SPEEDING THE MOVEMENT OR YOU WILL ACTUALLY SHOOT TO THE FLASH. RELAX RELAX BODY AND ALERT ALERT MIND -- EYES OPEN -

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Keep in mind there is a difference between shooting quickly(best way) and snap shooting(absolute worst way). Learn to shoot quickly and your scores will likely improve BUT you still must have a controlled move to the target. Watch where some of the better shooters break the target and try to make that your zone. drbortone pretty much summed it up.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

If you're focusing on shooting at a certain point in time, like you have a deadline...you're focusing on the wrong thing, and are leading yourself toward being a perpetual loser.

Not only will it not make you better...it will make you worse.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

With accuracy comes speed, don't try to push that from the other direction.

The way you get the accuracy is to look at the target, not the rib, not the bead, not the guy next to you. Look at the the target and believe it or not the gun will be looking at it too. But you really have to see that target in real detail and the more you look at these targets the more time seems to slow down. There are lots of terms for this and some descripitions that come to mind are the 1,000 yard stare, the quiet eye, being in the zone, but it is an intense focus on that one thing - the target.

When you get there the light will come on. Yes you will be popping the target pretty fast but it isn't because you are rushing yourself. It will feel nice and relaxed as if you had all day to shoot the bird. Thing is that you can't realistically expect to get there with out paying your dues. If takes a lot of practice on a regular basis and a commitment to train yourself.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I agree.. You MUST clearly see the target.. and having the barrel well below it gets everything out of the way.. to clearly look over the barrel.. That POI thing is more or less built into the swing.. when done correctly.. Anything from 50/50 to 90/10 is a simple comb adjustment for me.. Past that I can't tell you..because I can't shoot it.. I too am a 1 eyed shooter..

High gun..???? If anything is left of my target.. it's falling or hit the ground by the time a shooter with a leval gun pulls the trigger.. I can see how it might work.. but I've never understood holding a gun on a flight path that might not exist.. Might work well on a calm day..??? but a windy day..I'll take a low hold point..

Again.. all of this is very personal to the style of a shooter.. What works for me.. might not work for the next shooter..

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You'll shoot your best scores with a smooth controlled swing. Speed is not a requirement. Your eyes and coordination determine your speed. When you break 100, you don't get extra points for speed.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As you gain experience while practicing good basics with desire, speed will come. To be a beginning shooter and slam dunking them, don't count on winning.

17. chourico

chourico TS Member

buy precision trapshooting by james russel that all the book you need

k4wma thanked this.
  18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As an old-timer, I use some of the tricks Olympic shooters use to see the target quickly.

My focal point is generally 100 yards or so in front of the trap house, in line with and over the gun barrel. My hold point is the far side of the roof of the trap house. 1 1/2 foot inside the left corner on station One, in the center on Stations Two through Four, and 1 1/2 foot inside the right corner on Station Five.

When I see movement, my eyes focus from far to near,and capture the target. This happens MUCH more quickly than if focusing from near to far, as if you are focused on the trap house. Also, this means your eyes must intercept a receding target. After locking on the bird, THEN I attack and kill it. DON'T move with the call!

Les Greevy taught me this technique when we were both many years younger.

19. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Shooting coach has hit the nail on the head---this is the key to seeing the target quicker thus being able to make a quicker controlled move to the target and killing it more effectively. Instead of near to far---the other way is more effective------ far to near! Got it! Phil S.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a DryFire computer training system. They will make you as fast as your capable of being and a lot better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how your eyes slow trap targets

larry gravestocks hold on the house