1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FAST Powders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The recent news on shotgun mishaps has me concerned. (Disclaimer: I own a Guerini Combo and Guerini Sporting gun, as well as a Kolar, and have complete confidence in all of them) I am concerned that many, if not most, of the recent mishaps are attributable to reloading issues, particuarly using very fast powders (and primers) that tend to develop high pressures very quickly. Having reloaded metallic cartridges for about 15 years, I have become quite aware of internal pressure issues and those factors which contribute to it. One of those is the use of what I refer to as "peaky" powders...those that are quite fast burning and develop maximum pressures with slight increments of charge or reduction in internal volume. For that reason, in recent months for my shotshell reloading, I have changed from a very popular, very fast powder to a somewhat more flexible powder. I just feel safer. I liked the faster powders very much, but in truth, can't tell much difference in the performance with the new powder, but I do have to use a few more tenths of a grain of powder per charge. It would be quite interesting to see what powder/components were used by those experiencing "mishaps".

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.