1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast Powder Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I now use Green Dot for my handicap loads. If I change to a faster powder will it take me less time to reload my shells?

Pat Ireland

2. easy100

easy100 TS Member

Just keep loading with this powder for handicap say with it your going in the right direction.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put your reloading machine in your bedroom. This way when you wake up you won't waste time looking for it. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eddie- Do you really think an upgrade to a MEC 600 Jr would help me? It is abundantly clear that I do need help.

Pat Ireland

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Pat, you must be bored, I see the first fish took the hook well. Ben

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

At your age and mental capacity, Pat, you should consider buying new shells. LOL!

Buz

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have a problem of my gun firing the shell faster than I can reload them, maybe I switched to faster powder I could gain a little bit? I sold the Automatic Beretta and that helped.

I am honestly looking for a 1200 fps 1 ounce load with Winchester 452 powder I came across it in a sale, I have AA Hdcp Grey Hulls, Rio primers, and some 1 ounce wads on the bench.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Eddie, is that the French Canadian Model Perfect Herter's reloader I should look for, or just the standard one?

Neil

9. DeVille

DeVille Member

Pat,
    Do not go to fast burning powder. There is a possibility that you might load faster than you can think. This happens more as you get older with the possible side effect of shooting before you see the target. I have seen just the opposite happen to Zard, who uses real slow powder and has on many occasions, ground slushed his targets. Dex

10. bling 27

bling 27 Member

Pat you are right! Faster powder and lighter beer are the way to go. I switched from Bud to Bud Light. Those 12 packs of Bud were getting too heavy. Now I can grab the Bud Light and almost fly across the parking lot to my Suburban, witch by the way gets better milage hauling kegs of faster powder, and Light beer. WOW !! lol Wayne

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Do 4 petal wads load faster than 8 petal wads?

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"I now use Green Dot for my handicap loads. If I change to a faster powder will it take me less time to reload my shells?"

Yep,,and 'High Speed shot' helps as well.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- I have a green dot sight sight on the end of my barrel so I thought I had to use shells loaded with Green Dot. Makes sense to me.

Pat Ireland

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

100% virgin goose down model perfect loading press to be exact.

15. wrockets

wrockets TS Member

And make sure you don't use hard shot - makes reloading too hard.
    Use soft shot - for the softer recoil.

Warren

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Pat

I see you have been trying to cut your reloading time. I use Rex I. It DOES go through the powder tube quicker. I have been looking for Rex 0. I have heard (from the manufacturer) that it can be left in the powder keg, it is so fast it does not need to be poured into the press!

Also, using the Claybuster Lightning wads will help you cut down on your loading time. They go through the press like lightning, according to Claybuster.

Possibly using copper plated shot in combination with these other time saving components may have you finished loading a flat before you start!

Let me know how this works for you.

Your friend,
    Shooting Coach

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, try Bullseye inconjunction with Lightning wads. Also upgrade yourself from that Lee Load All as this will help! However be careful in reloading to quickly as this will also create an exceedingly quick shell that may fire before insertion into gun...

18. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Pat, The answer is 'Probably not', I do have it on VERY good authority though, that if you pull the trigger harder the shot travels faster...drop your powder charge a couple of grains and really tug that trigger...you'll lose no velocity and get more shells out of a keg of powder. Cheers-Graham.

19. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Oh yes, and Pat, in case you were looking to cross reference information...the same VERY good authority assures me that pulling the trigger harder will cause the pressure bubble to flow uniformly over the gas ports of an auto...allowing better cycling characteristics. Cheers-Graham.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Can someone explain how I can release my trigger harder?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.