1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast or slow squad.preference(s)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mixer, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I prefer a faster squad to a slower one. I shot on a squad Saturday where one shooter took by actual time 15-17 seconds from the gun to the shoulder to the call for the target. Now that's excessive.

Eric

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I like fast...

But consistent is more important to me. When 4 shooters are keeping mostly a consistent rhythm, and then the 5th is taking 3 times longer than anyone else. It's not the best... Not that big of a deal mind you, just not the best.

So shoot as fast or slow as you please, you indeed did pay for your targets. Don't think you have to speed up for anyone (especially you new shooters). You have more than enough to concentrate on, the idea that you may not be shooting fast enough shouldn't even been in the picture. That automatic speed comes with experience.

But at the same time, nobody likes a slowpoke. cls

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

fast is good but rythm is more important.....good rythm usually means a somewhat quicker pace and if everyone is shooting well, it can be a hoot to shoot on such a squad.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Haven't shot a lot of registered, but....I think a lot can be seen by 1 or 2 shooters in front of you. I also have had good squad leaders on the squads that I have been on. One had an older gentleman and he really made sure all shooters were ready and I though he took an enormous time when he started off, but when it came back around, he was in the same cadence that everyone else was. This was a very enjoyable day.

Like several have said, it is your shoot as well as anyone else. Best of luck.

Jim

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

smooth,,,steady,,,no big gaps,,,,some times doubles seems a bit to fast for me,,,but have shot my best scores in a fast squad,,,,less time to be distrackted

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Fast, if you need to slow down alittle you can. If there is someone who is really slow its bad. BANG BANG BANG BANG tick tock tick tock tick tock BANG. I have seen people who are so slow tey dill delay the next squad to the field and have a back up.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

ljutic73 said what I would have said. I like a fast squad myself, but not one where everyone is missing a lot of birds. Rythm and shooting well are very important to me. I shoot better when all three elements are in place...fast, good rythm, and good shots.

I need to be able to shoot well under any circumstances, though. That is my ultimate goal.

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I don't mind fast, but not so fast that someone is outrunning the Canterburys.

9. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

Could someone please tell me what fast, slow, rythm, lack of rythm, good shots, smooth, steady, big gaps, or anything else has to do with me calling for, seeing, and breaking the target? Thanks

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ky.shooter, it doesn't and it shouldn't. Those things just help me (I've been shooting less than a year). As stated, I/we should be able to shoot under any circumstances.

11. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Fast........

Yogi Berra once said "you can't think and hit at the same time".

12. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Cadence and rhythm don't have to mean fast. The speed of the other shooters on the squad doesn't concern me (within reason, of course). What I find more distracting is a constantly changing rhythm. Even if each person takes a different amount of time for their shot, as long as each person is consistent in that routine then there is a rhythm. If one person takes 2 seconds on one shot and then isn't ready for their next shot and takes 10 seconds, then 3 seconds the next time around, then 15 seconds next time around that's what screws up the rhythm more than just fast or slow.

Scott

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It takes about 2-2.5 seconds for the CVR to reset. Add another 4 seconds to that for gun mounting, calling and shooting and you've got 6-6.5 seconds between shots. That works out to about 15 minutes for a full squad to shoot 125 targets including 4 shooters walking from station 5 to station 1. That's about an average pace.

Eric

14. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I usually shoot fast, but I don't call for the bird if there is still a whole bird or large piece still falling.

As far as the cadence or speed of the squad, I havn't found that it bothers me either way. I guess I agree with Ky.

Jim

15. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

rhythm and correct speed are important if you read the trap. AJ

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you allow another shooters speed, antics, rhythm or whatever you want to call it affect you in any way, it will be your score that suffers. When these things do happen and it will at some point in time, possibly during a shoot-off, your better off being more in tune with your own game than others. After all, your target is the only one that counts? Hap

17. juniorshooter

juniorshooter TS Member

I enjoy a fast paced squad, but you have the right to shoot your speed (within reason). I tend to pre-squad for state shoots so I know who I am shooting with. That way I know what pace is going to be used.

18. clayaddict

clayaddict TS Member

Hap, nobody could have said it any better. Too often I hear about a sorry score caused by a squadmate, too slow , too fast, shifting his feet just before mounting, etc, etc. Man you nailed it. Your mind control is all that matters. Only person to ever cause me to shoot a bad score was me... J.Woolsey

19. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

In compition I prefer an aggresive pace. When your shooting on a fast squad you have less time to mentally wander off, everything becomes a fluid movement of shoot,remove empty.new shell,lift, close,call shoot. However fast the pace, consistancy on a squad is more important. I can shift gears and shoot at a slower pace to match the squad, but having a shooter who is having trouble maintaining any kind of consistancy on the line can be distracting. I dont think other shooters need to rush their shooting but just be ready when its their turn to shoot. I have shot a 500 bird marathon in 2.5 hours in the Florida summer. 7 minutes a round for a 5 man squad, I shot 493 and was low man on the squad. Its nice to have a squad you shoot with constantly that keeps the same rythem as you do. Mike

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

This is one thing I have never really understood. What does the speed or lack of speed of 4 other shooters have to do with your shooting?

When it is your turn it is your turn and your turn begins with the shooters gun before you goes bang you have your own personal rythm/cadence and it begins when its your turn. If you get flustered because the squad is shooting to fast or to slow as a squad you are not menatally prepared to shoot. The speed or slowness of the squad has noting to do with your individual score unless you allow it to.

It is you against a flying disc not the squad against a flying disc. Shoot at your speed and do not let the speed or lack of speed of the other shooters bother you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.