1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Farve Gone

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mizzou, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

The end of an era in Green Bay..I watched all the games I could..Bought the NFL Ticket when I moved to Missouri 13 years ago so as not to miss Brett and the Packers. It won't be the same for us Packer fans..Many won't understand..In my eyes he was the best ever at that position..Mizzou

2. lgunluvr

lgunluvr Member

Brett Favre enjoyed playing football. He was a great joy to watch, Hope that we all wish him well in retirement.

3. emm2

emm2 Member

A great QB when hopped up on pain killers!!

4. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Pretty damn good QB. Always enjoyed it when the Bears were able to beat him. Gonna miss him..

Larry

5. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Man, I really hoped for 1 more year. A sad day for Packer fans and many others.

6. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Oh, and I doubt that emm2 is a football analyst or expert.........but......Fox Sports has a poll going on "who is the best QB of all time". With 350,000 responding so far it is Brett 38% and Joe Montana 36%. The next, also ran, is at 8%.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Spent every Sunday glued to the radio listening to Johnny U kick Butt when football players gave it everything for just the glory...back then they made maybe what a OTR truck driver makes today...so it certainly wasn't for the money

8. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Favre is the Iron Man of QB's. No quarterback including Unitas, Starr, Jurgenson, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, Fouts, Montana, Marino, Aikman and Elway played more consecutive games, had more passing attempts, threw more yards and more touchdowns. Add a superbowl win and three back to back MVP's and you have Brett Favre. We got Brett from the Atlanta Falcons for a little bit of nothing. The Falcons traded away Favre to Green Bay and kept Chris "Crystal Chandalier" Chandler, as their starting quarterback. Wow..did the Packers get that right!

Favre will be missed by Packer fans in all over the world. The only fans that won't miss him were the one's he constantly thumped in Minn, Chicago and Detroit! Maybe, even they will miss him a little. I've never seen a player in my fourty years of watching football play with sprains, cuts and breaks and family trajedies and yet never miss a snap! They just don't make them like that any more.

It's still a long ways to training camp. Until I see Aaron Rodgers taking snaps at the first regular season game..then and only then will I believe Brett is gone for good. If Brett finally retires, I wish Brett and his family a wonderful retirement. We will all see Brett once again in Canton Ohio five years from now!

Rick Brohmer

9. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

Only some one like emm2who never put on a jock strap because he did not have anything to put in it could make a stupid statement regarding Brett.

Clyde

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Unitas#1, Montana#2, Bradshaw#3, Aikman#4, Farve#5. Case closed

11. emm2

emm2 Member

I would have to say some of you Favre fans are testy. Montana, Elway and Unitas never needed pain killers to keep playing well. As for my ability YES I played football and still young and built to do so today. You overweight, insecure trapshooters that question whether I put on a jock strap or not come to Kansas and we'll play ball and if you can still walk we'll shoot some trap. Shane

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Great palyer and a great quarterback, stnads in a line with other great ones. I will miss watching him play. Good Luck Brett

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I will also add that he was a gentleman. (whenever I saw him interviewed) He was one of those who gave credit instead of craving the limelight himself. Farve, Elway and Marino. What a class. Hope to see others like them in my lifetime.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I heard he was coming to the Bears.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The numbers don't lie.

So you can flap your jaws all you want.

HM

16. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

EMM2,

How do you know "others" didnt use pain-killers????

I'm not about to disrespect those players you mentioned in your comments. I thank them for the enjoyment they brought onto my TV screen, and to the stands when I was lucky enough to join them in-person.

Farve, was a joy to watch to any true football fan. Plus, he has loyalties to his Green Bay Packers, and community. In todays game/world, this is rare. I include Farve in that respect with Denver's Elway, Pittsburg's Bradshaw, and the man I consider the greatest of all, Chicago's Walter Payton.

I'm pleased you have such a passion for the game to voice your opinion. Just as I am doing now.

To Mr. Farve I wish him all the best. I would like to shake his hand and tell him THANK YOU!!!

Matt Nicol, Cheyenne, Wy.

17. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Of course, emotions are running high and many are caught in the moment....but people who really know football judge great quarterbacks by their capacity to carry mediocre teams on their backs....only one guy has done this 5 times....the one who unlike Brady, Montana or Manning DID NOT need a good offensive line to take his team to a Superbowl......Montana would have been killed by opposing linemen if he had played in the teams the GOAT (greatest of all time) took to the Superbowl....his name is John and it ends in ELWAY!!!

18. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Brett Favre was the consummate team player in every way. Of all his great accomplishments which some cannot seem to acknowledge, when it came to make the team the best it could be his own interests took a back seat. Twice in his career he voluntarily restructured his contract to allow the Packers to sign better players that helped the team be better. He never talked about records, he just broke them quietly and if he was about notoriety he wouldn't have retired now after the season. He was not about excuses but was all about facing the music. He fought an addiction to pain killers and beat it, but before doing so he stood tall in front of the cameras and admitted it with an apology to the team and fans for letting them down. He came back even greater after that. Are you listening Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Mark McGwire???

For me, his entire career is a highlight reel. Even when he played poorly he was exciting to watch. He played with passion and gave 101% on every play. My favorite and most memorable game was the night in Oakland after his father had died the day before. It wasn't the win, it wasn't the 4 touchdown passes, it was the fact that he once again put the team first above his own personal interests. They needed him and he was there through the grief of losing his biggest fan.

Say what you will about Montana and Bradshaw, and they are great too, but Walter Payton and Bret Favre are the greatest ever. Football will never be the same again for me...

Thanks Brett, you were and are and always will be a class act.

19. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I have only one personal anecdote about a great quarterback. The recruiters in Canton, Ohio have provided the color guard for HOF events for many years and for many years the inductees have always made it a point to shake those young soldiers hands and thank them for their service. Soldiers are instructed NOT to approach the HOF'ers, but they can interact if approached which always happened.

Some of my recruiters had participated in that function for several years prior to my arriveal and the stories of who different soldiers had talked to in the years before was legend in the station. The HOF ceremony for Mr. Montana occurred just days before I arrived in Canton. That year the talk was about how the only HOF inductee to ever avoid and shun the color guard was Mr. Montana. He actively avoided any contact (even eye contact) with the soldiers as other members of the class of 2000 interacted with them. That was also the only year the soldiers were ushered outside and forced to stand outside the HOF during the ceremony rather than being permitted to watch from within the building.

That is how I will remember Mr. Montana.

20. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Shane, I heard an interesting item yesterday on ESPN. That nearly 2/3 of the QB's in the NFL never play all 16 games through a season. The speed and impact of the game has become costly on quarterbacks. Quarterbacks now days are bigger, stronger, have more protection (better equipment) and have more rules to protect them anytime in their history, yet suffer more injuries than ever. To be honest, I'm not sure the likes of Unitas, Starr, Jurgenson, and others wouldhave held up any better than the likes of Favre and P. Manning. As good as Aikman and Steve Young were their durability cost them years in the NFL.

DB, you can't compare Unitas to Favre! The game has evolved so much. It's a different time, two different games and two different defense players! We make comment that players make more money and yet they are candy asses. The reality is the players now days are so much bigger, so much stronger and so much faster! Quality players like Unitas, Starr, Gayle Sayers, Art Donovan and Ray Nitschke and even the likes of Jim Brown would have been good players but even I question if they would have been great players?

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.