1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FARM TRACTORS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by birdogs, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I am in the market for a used farm tractor. I think that some of the posters on this site know a lot more about the subject than I do.

The tractor would be used for some clean-up in our woods as well as maintaining a network of sand roads. We do some planting in our habitat development efforts so we will probably pick up discs at some point. We would need a grapple bucket as well as a "regular" one and would probably pick up implements as we come to need them. I doubt that we would put even a hundred hour on it per year.

What do we need in terms of "features? Any ideas on make, model, etc. would be appreciated.

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I would just go with the one I got the best deal on. There are a lot of websites devoted to tractor sales and a lot of flyer/magazines that can be picked up at "farm stores" like TSC or Rural King here in the Midwest. Look for the deal, that is close to your locale.

Since you are looking for one with a "bucket" get one with a bucket, so you don't have to add one.

Go with the deal - be it Massey, New Holland, John Deere etc... But that is just me, I haven't got hung up on tractor brands like I have with trucks. I'm a Ford man when it comes to trucks, but I have a Massey tractor and John Deere mower, and an old Allis Chambers tractor for playing with, I haven't became brand loyal. I would go with the best deal, one with the lowest hours and in best shape. Go with 4 whell drive. I like diesels too.

I know I'm no help, telling you to go with the deal, but that is what I would do.

3. 7815wayne

7815wayne Member

I would advise you to contact a farm machinery dealer in your area. There is many choices that can be made. If you are using a front in loader, ie a bucket, buy a tractor with front end assist. This is term for all wheel drive. As you add weight with something in the bucket, weight comes off the rear wheels, and reduces traction to the rear tires. A two wheel drive tractor with front end buckets do not go well together. By your discription of the work being done, a tractor in the 30 to 45 horse power should work. There are several brands all making good tractors. Wayne

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure of your location but I know someone with a mid-sized John Deere for sale.

Has a bunch of attachments, etc.

PM for details (I need to call to get the particulars)

Located near Philadelphia.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I am pretty partial to John Deere the one reason why is they have a fantastic parts system, I have worked on all makes and after a few years the parts become made of unobtainium, or in lay mans terms, no longer available

They also hold the resale better than any brand

How much do you want to spend?

The is an auction kind of thing called tractorhouse, you can look on there to get an idea, but be warned some of them are asking wayyyyy more that they are worth

And Bisi is correct MFWD is very nice with a frontend loader

6. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

As long as it is Green and has "John Deere" on it, it will be good -- however, no matter what brand, the smaller tractors tend to blow their front end drives because of the weight the bucket adds. They tend to have frond end drive joints matched to the size of the tractor, and 40 hp and down front end drives just do not handle the weight of a 6 ft bucket - the first time you spin the front tires loaded you might blow the joints. ! the beav

7. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

For an "off-brand" the mahindra tractors I have been around are the heaviest for size of any. Weight is good for a tractor. I would also not want of the popcorn fart sized tractors, 45 horse minimum with 4wd if getting a loader. 45 horse is small enough to get around, but big enough to do something. That said I like the 100hp tractors we have, but they are too big to get in the woods everywhere.

8. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Depending on the amount of bucket work you intend to do, as others have mentioned, something in the 40-45 pto h.p rating should work and have enough weight and h.p to do some planting as well. Things to consider are hydraulic pump capacity (for bucket use as well 3 pt. work), power steering, 3 pt. hitch, parts and service availability. On the latter two, CIH and John Deere rule. As for one of the best values in the market for the type of tractor described above, I would look for a high condition IH 350 Utility equipped with p.s. and optional higher volume hydraulics. JD utilies in same category will serve you well, but will be later year models and significantly higher priced. As for diesel vs. gasoline engines, I wouldn't pay a bunch more just to have a diesel as the number of hours you intend to use per year certainly would amount to nothing for fuel cost differences, and gas engine service for most things can be handled by the owner. To get a handle on availability/market value spend a bit of time on tractorhouse.com, 40-99 h.p tractors. Wishing you well in your search.

9. c_mayer

c_mayer Member

As a dealer of said farm tractors, all I can say is find a dealer with a good reputation, and a solid line of tractors, and go with them.

Don't buy anything off brand if you think you might have to sell it at any time, as you will take a beating. Of brand is anything other than Deere, Case-IH/New Holland, Massey/Challenger, or Kubota. The reason for the slashes is that they are the same parent company, but different brand and marketing.

Other than that, find something you like, that you can get parts and service for, and enjoy. ALL the tractors from the main brands in the size range you sound like you'll be looking at are good, it's just who you deal with.

We are a Massey Ferguson dealer in SW Ohio. If you would like any more info, feel free to call. www.mayerfarmequipment.com

Chris

BTW, not intended to be a sales pitch, just my honest opinion. I would be glad to give my opinion on anything related though.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Buy used and buy green. Two of our best and most used tractors were bought used at local equipment auctions. They are John Deere 5500's. Both of ours are the 4wd models with front-end loaders but they are available in 2wd as well. They have a 4 cyl diesel and are approximately 82hp. This model is very popular and there are lots of attachments available. We see these at the equipment auctions all the time. Of course prices vary depending on how many hours, attachments, 2 or 4 WD, etc. For jobs right around the farm it's all we use.

John Deere hands down.

Our homemade hi-lift/construction basket for our 5500's. We use it for building pole barns. Beats standing in the bucket like we use too.
    grntitan_2009_250348.jpg

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have a Versatile 250 hp 4WD field tractor, a Ford 40 hp utility tractor with a loader and a 23 hp John Deere garden tractor and I used to own a CASE-IH combine...so I'm not too partial. I think for what you describe, you need at least 50hp...90 would be better, especially if you want to pull a disc or cultivator. The newer you can buy, the better the hydraulic system will be...very important IMHO.

Ron Burr...farmer

12. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Chris has it right, but make sure any US brand is actually made in America, some of these tractors are made in Europe even Russia, Kubota made in Japan are also great tractors

One thing you Yanks can do is make great Tractors, unlike your motor cars which can only be deisribed as modern day antiques

Argus

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buy a 5000 series John Deere with a loader and 4 wheel drive, you wont be sorry. The loader is a must. I had a 5310 with a power reverser tranny, joy stick, rear remotes and loved it. You will use the bucket a lot more than you think. I had an 8ft ( I think) tiller for the three point and it made my garden work a dream.

14. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Avoid the flavor of the month tractors, Montana etc. Buy a used Deere with as much stuff, Hydraulics and implements as you can afford. Yesterday I ordered our new 5075M MFWD with creep trans and three remotes traded in a 5325. The best deere for its size I owned was a 4500!

15. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I second, third and fourth what people like Catpower are saying about John Deere. Having grown up on a farm & had the opportunity to run most brands, I am still partial to the green paint. I currently have a JD 4600, 40 hp., 4 wheel drive with loader. Bought in new in 2000 & now it has 2200 hours on it. I have a heavier than standard bucket on the loader as I knew I would do some heavy duty work with it. It has not once let me down. I have about 215 acres I own & take care of. Everything from plowing and discing for deer feed plots to running a 6' bush hog to keep trails open & pasture areas from growing out of control and of course - PLOWING SNOW! 2 bottom plows work great & don't even make it work. I use 8' discs & have a set of 12' spring teeth I use from time to time. It handles both of these impliments very well.

The availabilty of parts for JDs is incredible. If you walk into a dealer needing parts for a 40s or 50s vintage tractor, they can still get them. It's amazing how many they actually have in stock. I spent an entire winter comparing units & spent the few extra $$$ on the JD & have been very happy with my decision. I am not knocking other brands, just my preference.

16. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

In most areas, Craigslist.com is the place to shop for used tractors. You can get some screaming deals on older tractors. For instance, I often see 45-50 hp older models for under $7000. Just make sure you are getting a diesel though. I would hate to have a gasoline tractor with today's ethanol. As I'm sure you know, the ethanol attracts moisture when stored and if you let it set up for a few months, bingo, your machine won't run. I personally have diesels from the 1970's and 1980's that are still running strong. Also, you might want to ask questions on tractorbynet.com as it is a message board with some good guys who know all about tractors. When you see one you like, go to tractordata.com and look up the engine size, PTO hp, year made, etc. Its like an encyclopedia on tractors.
    Tom

17. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

If you can find a 110 TLB in good shape with the front hydraulics and 6 in the back buy that! The backhoe removes and gives you full hydraulic power to tools controled off of the joystick plus any 540 PTO implements. Ours runs a big gannon, mowers, small discs etc. Plus a clamshell loader up front. The fuel consumpsion is light for the work it can do. My JD dealer said the 110 will be discontinued as it was angled to the construction industry that has sucked of late.

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Thanks for all the advice. Some of your comments really hit home with regards to describing my actual use I will make of the machine. I have been looking on EBay and Tractor House as well as Iron Planet and have decided that I really don't know enough to make a good decision. You have helped educate me but I tghink I need to know more. Maybe I'll just go to a dealer and pick his brain for starters.

I guess that Power Steering, 4WD, and at least 50 - 60 HP are what I need. Thanks again!

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I had a cattle farm for 20 years or so, and cut hay for myself and others. We had three Fords, 25 (2910), 40 (3910), and 70 (7600) hp diesels. Got good service out of them.

The little one would run a sickle mower, rake, or small Bush Hog. The mid size would run a disc mower, or big Bush Hog, and had a front end loader. The 70 hp model ran our 1500 lb round baler, and also had a (serious) front end loader. The 70 hp model was overkill except when using the hay roller or moving 1500 lb rolls of hay. Then it was a necessity, not a luxury.

The 40 hp was the most versatile. It was small enough to go where you needed, but had enough whompus to get most things done. We used the LSB (Long-Short Bar) rear tires from Co-op. These tires are worth the money. Filling the front tires with solid foam worked as well. (no flats)

FYI, if you get a tractor made for Amish or Mennonites, they have high speed gears, and the big ones will go 35+ MPH on the road. This will get you killed if you are towing real farm equipment.

Air-conditioned cabs are nice, but tractors vibrate big time, and will kill an A/C system. I prefer an open cab with roll-bar (not a luxury). I like to have 360-degree vision when on a tractor. Lots of folks die on their tractor, it is not a toy.

DO NOT GET A GASOLINE TRACTOR.

20. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

One more word of advice.

If you buy one with or without the front loader attachment, make sure it was designed with a heavy enough front end for the added weight.

Steering can be a problem with a heavy bucket full of rocks, stone, etc.

One club shooter says "Tractors are green, firetrucks are red!"

That seems to be the local opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

craigslist branson 2910 tractor