1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FAREWELL TO ATA BD OF DIR & EXEC COM MOREHEAD KY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Trapshooters, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Trapshooters

The Trapshooters TS Member

AN OPEN FAREWELL TO THE ATA
    BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND
    EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

It is with sincere regret and remorse that we inform you that Rowan County Sportsman's Club located in Morehead, KY will be closing it's doors after this coming Saturday's (April 28, 2012) registered ATA shoot. Know that this was not a decision that was entered into lightly.

We are a small club located in Eastern Kentucky that has survived the past 12 years navigating through many barriers. Despite only having 2 trap fields, year after year we have led the State in registered targets thrown, showing our previous stability. We managed to survive through the previous gas, shell, component and target increases. Things were so bad last fall, we cancelled all shooting for November and December thinking shooting would pick up. Then came the indefinite "REDUCTION"!

The icing on the cake was the infamous Executive Committee's decision to grant 2-yard reductions to "ALL" shooters. The problem was that not "ALL" shooters were granted the reduction. Any shooter that was shooting for a 1-yard reduction quit shooting registered targets because they are saving that reduced card for a "BIG" shoot. Some shooters received their 2 yard reduction in the mail.......and then a couple of weeks later it was taken back by the ATA! Talk about making people mad!!! What is wrong with this picture??? Other shooters that did not receive the reduction were pissed off because most of the "sand-baggers" were standing closer than ever so they quit shooting registered targets also. They said to hell with ATA! Thus, the majority of our shooting base quit shooting. We had a few die hards that continued shooting and we thank them from the bottom of our hearts!!

We have weathered 3 months hoping things would change and shooting would pick up.....but it hasn't. Trap and Field quoted ATA President Jeff Wagner that the reductions were granted to re-energize the sport....in case you haven't figured it out Mr. Wagner, it did not work in our case. You really need to do some surveys or more town hall type meetings of the general membership before you implement such drastic changes in order to give the Board members guidance in ATA matters. You govern the membership but if you continue to rule with an unforgiving fist and know it all attitude as in the past......you just might not have anything left to rule. It's like the Board lives in this fairy tale land, above reproach and doesn't consider or realize the total repercussions of their actions or just flat out doesn't care. It concerns us most that you choose to force your will down the membership's throat without attention to what the real needs are. It is called sound business decisions, not personal vendetta's or power plays. It is like "we have the power to do what we want and to hell with everyone else". Please get off your arrogant high horses and do what is in the best interests of all shooters.....not just a chosen few that jockey for power! You are supposed to represent us.....not be against us! We are sure you will continue on your current path and cast our comments aside because you are offended and that is what scares us the most. We fear for the future of the ATA and all of its wonderful members..

Oh, there are other factors that have contributed to our demise such as high gas prices and component hikes, labor headaches and targets going up yet again......but the 2 yard reduction has been the thorn that festered the most, resulting in the closing of our doors. You would not believe the animosity and anger of the "average Joe blow". We hate to close because we realize the reality of the club ever opening again are nil to none.

We were happy to see in the latest Trap and Field that ATA is considering raising the number of shooters required to warrant a mandatory punch. We have argued for years that if there are no purses or options to play, no one should be punched. Too late for us but maybe some other clubs will benefit.

Lastly but more important than anything in this entire message, we will miss the camaraderie and friendships established and built over the years. The majority of trap shooters are some of the finest people in the world! We are sure that at some point in the future our paths will cross with "our" shooters and we look forward to big hugs, strong handshakes, probably a few tears and lengthy conversations!!!!

Come out and participate at our last shoot if you can!! We would love to see you!!!!!

Regrettably for the last time.....................
    Phillip & Sallie Jo Nickell
    Rowan County Sportsman's Club
    Morehead, KY 40351

2. The Trapshooters

BTW, my cell phone number is 606-794-3237.

Phillip Nickell

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of shooting at Rowan County. It is located right off Hwy
    64 on the way to Lexington. A very friendly bunch of guys and Phil was
    very helpful in getting me squadded.

I am surprised that the yardage reduction was such an issue for the shooters there. It seemed to be they were just happy to be shooting. I can't imagine
    anybody would quit shooting just because they weren't happy with their
    handicap yardage.

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

So you say you got along by selling targets to people who were shooting to get a reduction and now they can't get an advantage by doing that? If that is the case I think the two yard reduction might be having the desired effect.

jim brown

5. ChetH

ChetH Member

Sallie Jo and Phillip,

I am sorry to see that Rowan County will be closing soon. I will miss shooting with you and the rest of the gang.

Thanks for your hard work,
    chet hendrickson

6. ChetH

ChetH Member

Sallie Jo and Phillip,

I am sorry to see that Rowan County will be closing soon. I will miss shooting with you and the rest of the gang.

Thanks for all your hard work,
    chet hendrickson

7. jim brown

So you say your made it by selling targets to people who were shooting to get a reduction and now they aren't doing that? If that is so then the two yard reduction may be having it's desired effect.

jim brown

8. jim brown

So you say your made it by selling targets to people who were shooting to get a reduction and now they aren't doing that? If that is so then the two yard reduction may be having it's desired effect.

jim brown

9. JTPhipps00

JTPhipps00 Member

Sallie, this is a very good and trueful letter. Hope some people realise what

has just happened. We are loosing a gun club forever!! Once you all leave the

owner said it will never open again.

This gun club shoots more registered targets than any club in Kentucky.

Sorry to see you go,

Jack Tom

10. The Trapshooters

"So you say you got along by selling targets to people who were shooting to get a reduction and now they can't get an advantage by doing that? If that is the case I think the two yard reduction might be having the desired effect."

To Mr. Jim Brown who posted the above,

We have never sold targets to anyone! You are implying that we took peoples money and did not require them to shoot the actual targets. If this is not what you meant then we apologize. We have always been a class act and we resent you implying otherwise!!! They could continue to shoot targets for a one yard reduction but are satisfied with a "FREE" 2 yard reduction.....they are just biding their time to hit it big times at a BIG shoot. According to the ATA, the reductions were to re-energize the sport. Causing people to quit shooting is hardly re-energizing the sport. We do not believe that reducing shooting was the intended effect of the ATA. Maybe you need to go back and re-read what we posted. You will probably one of the first one's to post belly aching when a short yardage shooter wins your state shoot!!

Phillip & Sallie Jo Nickell

11. jim brown

No, I was implying that the shooters at your club came to shoot scores that were less than they were capable of shooting so that they could get reductions. I am sure they actually shot. In any case this would be considered sandbagging by most honorable competitors. If the two yard reduction is reducing this behavior then it is a good move by the ATA.

jim brown

12. perazzi mx2000

perazzi mx2000 TS Member

j. brown. you are an AHOLE.

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I hate to see any gun club close because they almost NEVER reopen. Sorry to lose you all. John

14. perazzi mx2000

perazzi mx2000 TS Member

when a gun club closes we all lose.

15. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Sir we hate to see that your club is closing. To say that the icing on the cake was the 2-yard reduction seems a little far fetched.

We have quite a few clubs here in NC and yes the 2-yard reduction ruffled a few feathers but as of today none are shutting down due to the 2-yard giveaway.

Personally I turned my reduction down and really didn't want to face the crowd breaking a score two yards closer to the house if you factor in known ability.

Hopefully something will be worked out and good luck....

FRedmon

16. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I have never had the chance to shoot at your club and I am sorry to hear about the closing of the club. I hope someday we might cross paths and be able to share a moment or two. Take care sounds like you had a great time hold onto that.

Mark

17. william miller

william miller TS Member

Was it the ATA or the central handicap committee that took the reduction back? If it was the central handicap committee who was it that took it back, especially when others were refused the reduction to begin with? Sorry to hear of you closing; we, like many others hate to see anyone close.

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"Things were so bad last fall, we cancelled all shooting for November and December thinking shooting would pick up. Then came the indefinite "REDUCTION"!"

We all hate to see a club close but it sounds like there might have been trouble brewing before the "reduction".

19. jhoward

jhoward Member

Damn. I haven't made it to many shoots up that way in a while, I'll try to make it up there this weekend. My Dad used to tell me stories about shooting there in the 60's and we made several trips there to shoot together before he passed. I'm truly sorry to see this happen.

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts . . .

- The ATA did not grant a 2 yard reduction to ALL shooters. It was clearly communicated that there were certain parameters by which reductions were determined.

- I can't imagine spending my time/money to "shoot for a reduction". I thought the idea was to move back, not forward. Shooting for a reduction is gaming the system, plain and simple, and it's hard to have any compassion for those people. That's not to say that people don't earn/deserve reductions, but "shooting for a reduction" is not right.

- As for shooters who received the two yard reduction and then stopped shooting, waiting for the "BIG" shoot . . . maybe someone could post a list of those people who win events at the "BIG" shoot. I suspect it will be a very short list.

- It's also hard to believe that a club lives or dies on ATA shooting. What are all of those people who are waiting for the "BIG" shoot doing while waiting? They aren't shooting any targets (practice, league, games)? If they carried such a poor average that they could qualify for a 2-yard reduction and then not shoot for weeks/months and then pop the winning score at a "BIG" shoot they probably didn't deserve the reduction anyway.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.