1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FAQ (for new reloaders) The PERFECT 1oz load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

There is no need to be confused abt how to build safe, effective, lethal 1oz bullets. Here is your recipe:

- a RemChester Hull

- any primer that is not a Fed209A or CCI-Manglum

- a RemChester or clone '1oz' wad

- 17gn (± ½gn) of any one of about a dozen 'fast (or Lite) powders'

- 1 ounce of shot

Good hunting.

:)

Bob

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

That sums it up pretty well.

All that is left is to sort out the particulars and make sure what you are using is in a powder manufacturer's loading guide, and you're set.

Oh, and weigh your powder charges to make sure...

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bob. you forgot the necessity of using a "SPOLAR"

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jack, like you, I've always been real curious what the question has to be for the answer to be 'Spolar.'

99, while there are lots of 'ifs' & 'ands' and 'it depends', there's no doubt a scale is a handy thing to have, but I'm not so sure abt currently published data: I use Bullseye and Vectan and I have some Scot & a couple of Europeans around here. Accurate still hasn't published data for N1000, etc, and I've always liked it for 24gm & 1oz.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bob. I dissed Spolar a couple of weeks back and got a corrective email from "Dixie". She was quick to point out that she (in fact) did watch what folks say about Spolar on our TS.com. Adn she presented her argument fairly. Adn better than I. So, I did what all men must do a few times in their internet life... Say "yes, I was wrong" and then continue the humility by using the edit function on the post.

We'll be loading a batch this morning on the 9000E.

Too, While I agree with your hypothesis, you fail to mention that a guy should run his shells across a chrono to see if he is too fast or too slow.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

"The Perfect Load" should always come with a disclaimer by the Presentor advising that the information is only their opinion and may or may not be necessarily based on factual information!!

Curt

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I'll add a little confusion....

ALWAYS start with a F209A or a "CCI-Manglum"

You can build a tiny campfire....the size of the fire is limited by the amount of wood (powder) available.

Now, on a cold, wet day you can start that fire with a match or a blowtorch. Whether I plan a tiny fire or a huge fire, the blowtorch will always be superior.

IMO.

8. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Dang it Bob!Now I have to throw all of those cheap federal hulls and the 12so's back in the can and dig out the greens and reds.I'm atleast glad that I have the right primer!LOL............and I really liked the euro trash hulls since they are readily available and cheap.The 700x is not leaving.......lol....I'm going to get me a spolar when my ship comes in!But my old P/W will just have to do for now.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Fits my load perfectly. Remington STS hull, one ounce hard 8s or 8 1/2s, 17.3 gr Promo, Green Duster and Ched primer. Consistent all seasons.

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I hope everybody realizes this post is somewhat tongue-in-cheek but ... only somewhat.

Curt, I agree with you that FGM & 700x are the gold standard, but most new reloaders don't want to go there.

Mike, of course. It all starts with the fire (and the ONLY primers I have are F209A) but there is no sense getting sidetracked with white-knuckled worries of pressure spikes, or winter/summer loads, or ... and at the end of the day, for 1oz loads & Red Dot, there is no significance difference in R/W/F/C primers.

Jack, Dicksie has a point - kind of, anyhow: choice is wonderful, but at the end of the day, ANY reloader is an assemblage of simple machines operating in sequence. Reloaders are just like guns: ALL the gun you NEED is an 870, and anything beyond that is preference.

Chrono? I'm not real sure that ±17gn of any powder that lays anywhere between extra-super-ultra lite and Green Dot is going to vary 100fps either way, and for singles and doubles (where this post is directed), there ain't no difference in leads between 1050 and 1300.

Chipped ... dang it. shhhhhhhhhh!

Bob

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

You are wrong , it`s 15.6 gr of the fast powder and always #8`s because 7 1/2`s are too heavy plus it has to be loaded on a 366 for a correct crimp . And I`m sticking to that !!!

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Too funny!!

Curt

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

How can you get that much stuff in a .410 bore hull????? Well no one mentioned what gauge there are talking about<<<>>><<><<>@@@@ %%% LOL
    Don

14. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

After years of exhaustive research and testing I have formulated the perfect 1 oz. load for 16 yard singles. For a small fee I will share my formula. Certified ballistic lab data and pressure curve charts included. You must agree not to use this load in any tournament I have or may enter or within 500 nautical miles of my home club. PayPal , money orders and personal checks accepted. Also, will trade my data for an “as new” TM-9X, the tournament and mileage restrictions will be lifted in this case. Any interest…PM

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

"For a small fee I will share my formula..." How "small" is "small"..? I hate myself for "biting" I know, I know, if you gotta ask, you can't afford it. :eek:) Ed

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

After further internal deliberations and negotiations, my unselfish concern and devotion for the welfare of others has compelled me to release the perfect 1 oz recipe for the consumption of my fellow 16 yard trapshooters at no fee (so long TM-9X). Caution, this may change trapshooting forever.

Remington Hull

1 oz. Mag Shot

Downrange XL-1

17.4 gr. Clays

Winchester 209

1215 fps and 9300 psi

(Claydot powder and/or Noblesport primers can be substituted for lower costs)

Grins,

Mark

p.s. Seriously, this really is the best 1 oz. target crusher I have found. I am sure there are others but this one is.... by far... my favorite.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

So Mark, if my 1 ounce singles load is exactly the same as yours, except I use a little less powder (16.8 to 17), is mine still perfect, just less perfect than yours?

18. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Slightly less perfect :)

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

OMG...Mark...I have been using this same load, but whatever my MEC #31 bushing drops (~17 gr. Clays) that's what works! Seems to work from 16 back to 23 yds. Thanks! and Best Regards, Ed

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Look if someone has to put some type of "warning" on their post when it comes to suggesting reloading stragies, then maybe that person reading this is in the wrong hobby.

Common sense folks will take you a long way, use it wisely.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.