1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Aircraft - the F22 Raptor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kevin Fleming, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/index_da.swf?fa=armytimes&wa=armytimes&wd=575&ht=324&cp=21772&bw=&state=vid&em=false&fn=/flv/20080714_rc_f22

A friend shared this link - you might like it. I think the address is too long to hot link, but copy/paste into browser worked for me.

K

2. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

its too bad obama is doing away with them

3. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Barry Obama cut the funding on them. Cut funding on most high teck developing weapons. Wants America unarmed it appears.

Won't be long he won't have any use for the unions. They will soon be gone.

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Actually, it didn't. The F-35 is primarily an air to ground fighter (hence the "Strike" in Striker Fighter). The F-22 is stricly an air superiority fighter.

As incredible a feat of aeronautical engineering as it is, the F-22 has a number of issues:

1. Its outrageously expensive.

2. Its BIG...thus forgetting the main lesson from Viet Nam (AIMVAL/ACEVAL)that resulted later in planes like the F-16... the biggest plane in the dog fight is the one that gets shot at the most

3. There are no other comparable air forces for us to engage with in a battle for air superiority. If you look at Iraq (both times) there was no air battle, certainly not in Afganistan, and we are not really planning to shoot it out with the Russians in German airspace anymore...so, what do you use it for?

In today's world, multi-purpose fighters provide sufficient air to air capability....too bad, I really like planes like the F-22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.