1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fancy" Choke Tubes: Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Curious if some of the new and fancy aftermarket choke tubes designed to replace factory chokes are really "better". I wonder if the holes and extra lengths and degree of bling factor are helpful in breaking more targets or more helpful in prompting the gunowner to reach for plastic or green.

For example, in my collection of stuff picked up recently when purchasing a couple of used guns, I am either "blessed" or "cursed" with some super long Pure Gold Chokes for an Invector Plus and with some Carlson Chokes for Invector Plus and with a couple of Angle Port Chokes for same gun. How do I pick besides patterning? Are any of those really better than factory?

Or...do said chokes make more of a fashion statement which helps confidence?

"Inquiring Minds...."

Thanks

2. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have always shot fixed chokes and have always had excellant results. My Trap Special has screw chokes and I really do not care for them. Cleaning and keeping them tight results in a PITA. as far as I'm cocerned. Patterns on all my other guns seemed to be more than sufficient to smoke targets. Changing chokes seems silly to me as I keep the full in my Trap Special for singles and handicap all time. The choke in my Trap Special backs off and always makes me wonder if it is threaded correctly. I tighten it down, but usually is somewhat loose after shooting several rounds. Guess it is what you want. As far as them increasing pattern efficiently, I doubt it. They never patterened better than my fixed Chokes. Do not hand tighten them, use the wrench supplied for that. Just my opinion, Roy A. Morton

3. ATLSKEET

ATLSKEET TS Member

If you know the bore diameter of your gun then extended chokes can really be worth the money because you can also get them in any constriction that you want. With factory chokes a full may be .40 with one maker and a .42 with another. Also I trust a company who has the primary business of just making chokes. If this is where all of there time and research is focused toward then I think that they will produce a better product than a gun maker for example that has to spread its resources between making stocks, barrels, receivers, etc. However some makers contract their work out to other manufactures such as remington having briley make their chokes. So some times factory are just as good as aftermarket

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Roy, try teflon thread tape. It works for me and I learned it on here
    David, I will give you the same advise you gave me about the barrel. Don't get rid of theme until you have given them a chance, especiall the the angleport tubes. One I like even betterare Stu Wrights extended tubes

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

In actual recent pattern tests with 2 20 ga guns the aftermarket tubes were better than similar constriction factory tubes.
    I used a Perazzi MX-8-20 with Briley tubes & a Breetta Siver Pigeon 2 with Carlson tubes. Both guns used several varities of factory 7/8 & 1 oz loads at 30-40 yds.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Look, everyone knows that on a hot rod engine anything chrome is worth five horsepower, right? Wouldn't it logically follow then that fancy choke tubes produce better patterns and shorter shot strings? Do you think people would buy them if they didn't?

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

So far subjective impression from angleport chokes I tried yesterday gave more smoke than two other brands I tried when running the same marked constriction and slightly less felt recoil over 100 shots. Gun had just been tuned; a doubles gun. Great back 50 after got used to the new trigger pull so felt chokes must be pretty darn good considering was shooting 3 dram Wally World Shells.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

If you buy USED custom choke tubes, be aware that some manufacturers will make them to your exact barrel specifications. Factory choke tubes are designed to be larger at their base diameter than the largest possible bore diameter that the factory will produce. If the choke maker custom makes a choke for a barrel with minimum diameter, then the skirt could be too small in diameter when put in a barrel of maximum bore diameter. And even then, if the choke tube threading is not exactly aligned with the bore, the choke could be flush on one side and have a step up on the other. In either case, this can lead to blowing the choke tube out, blowing the muzzle off the gun, or rupturing the bore.<br>
    <br>

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I shoot a DT-10 Beretta for Sporting and Trap,I use extended tubes for Sporting clays because they are easy to change for different target presentations,for Trap I use factory flush tubes,full and Modified beacause I never change them.I have found like every other thing I have tried to improve my shooting(Loads,guns ,chokes,sights,lens tints,Ect.) ,keeping my head on the stock and eyes on the target is the only thing that really helps.Jerry

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"so felt chokes must be pretty darn good considering was shooting 3 dram Wally World Shells."

You are welcome to stand behind me and watch what those Wally World shells do to targets. LOL

11. philk

philk Member

You`ll never know unless you put it on paper and even if you do miss the target you will look better doing it.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have nothing against the Wally World shells; they are just a bit stiff for first shot in doubles, doncha think? I felt less recoil with the Angeport chokes which was a wonderful plus. Maybe my imagination, but I don't think so entirely. I'm gonna stay with 'em. Gun is a new to me Browning XS SKEET with the parallel stock. For me, that Browning seems to be an ideal doubles gun, marketing name be damned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are aftermarket choke tubes worth it

are aftermarket chokes better than factory chokes

are briley and teague shotgun chokes worth the money advice

are extended chokes worth the money

are extended shotgun chokes worth the money

how can choke tube be larger than bore