1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"FAN FIRING" a new term for me

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tomlieb, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I recently read a thread that mentioned "Fan Firing", described as when shooting doubles, the gun bounces back off your sholder causing the trigger finger to inadvertently and immediately fire the second shot. I have had this happen to me, and it happens so quickly that I thought my gun was doubling at first, but after inspections, etc, the gun doesn't double. When thinking about it , I do hold the gun rather lightly and use a pfs stock that moves against itself during recoil. Does anyone else have anything to say concerning this or know what I should do to avoid this in the future?
    Tom

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe the term was originally coined because of Winchester Model 12 operation. It was possible to hold the trigger down and just "fan" the slide, and the gun would continue firing.

I think they may have corrected that in later M12s.

HM

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. You have to undo some of the things that are normally desireable in a trigger. That means increasing the trigger pull weight and allowing some overtravel in the trigger.
    Whereas a gun doubling is an allowable malfunction, "fan firing" or "machine-gunning" is not, and will result in a lost target.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

yeah, that's what I meant. There was no disconnector.

HM

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Old Mod. 12 shooters are very familiar with the "slam fire". They know not to have your finger anywhere NEAR the trigger when closing the action. Winchester later instaled an interupted sear because of saftey/lawsuit issues, and all post 64s that I have seen have the saftey feature.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you do not hold your long gun correctly, it can move back and forth under recoil and rebound, and your finger will hit the trigger again quicker than a hiccup.

The above link shows a fellow deliberately fan firing a Garand. He calls it "bump firing', but it makes the point. I can take most any shotgun, especially one with mechanical triggers, and make it fan fire. This is generally NOT fun, especially with handicap loads!

7. 5screw

5screw TS Member

I have only seen Krieghoffs do this and it happens often enough to be more than just shooter error. Sometimes trigger work will fix it. I would think fan firing would be a failure to fire as it is not intentional just like flinching.

Bob

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Did a little "fanning"back in the 60's with my S.A. colt when I was in to fast-draw.lol--Steve

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think that AAtrap is on to the reason, it is called "fan firing". Hold the trigger on a Single Action revolver and fan the hammer.

Tom, you can stiffen up the recoil spring, learn to hold the gun a little tighter or have your trigger worked on. Fan Firing is BangBang; doubling is BOOM!

Jason

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Big Don , you're right, but SASS frowns on fanning the hammer with the weak hand. In fact, it's a DQ. lol--Steve

11. jbshep

jbshep Member

Krieghoffs are bad about fan firing. I have had several and they all had to be "fixed". There is some blame to be placed on a loose grip but it is certainly a gun design problem. The K gunsmiths add welght to the inertia block by drilling and inserting a "sex screw". A Kolar will do it too, but less often; Kolar has different weight inertia blocks, numbered so they can be changed to fit an individual shooter's grip. Get yours fixed or you will never trust it. - Brad

12. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Brad, Its Krieghoffs that I have and I have the fan-firing problem on both a mod 32 and a K80 Trap special. Where did you find someone to "fix" the problem for the K gun? Can the PA factory gunsmiths do it? I am due for an overhall anyway.
    Tom

13. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

It is, as pointed out above, a term used in single action revolver shooting and has no relation to shotguns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.