1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fajen reinhardt...what ever happened

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

what ever happened to fj. 20 years ago I use to buy wood and semi inletted stocks from them. I can't seem to find anything on line about them any more. Did they go out of buisness.

2. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Yes they did and the people working for them opened their own company.
    http://www.wenig.com/
    Pete

3. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Iam sorry I might have made a mistake wenig my have been Bishop
    Pete

4. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

No, you were correct bakergun, Fred Wenig managed the stock making at Fajen and Elbert Smith worked for him there before they left to start Wenig. They also took several other employees from Fajen as well. The old Fajen plant was just down the road from Wenigs.

Fred and Elbert recently sold to Bobby Chambers. Bobby has continued the great quality and service provided by Fred and Elbert and has added some really neat things. They now have a trailer they take to the larger shoots and they bring their custom stock fitters right to the shoot. With this service, they can make a custom pattern for you right at the shoot. You can then shoot the pattern for a while before they make you the finished stock from your choice of wood blank. You used to have to travel to Lincoln, Ms for this service. They also have a large selection of finished stocks fit to Krieghoff, Perazzi and other recievers so you can take a finished stock home with you immediately.

Mark Zauhar

5. checker

checker Member

Reinhart Fajen had several "divisions" when it was Fajen and later when it was sold....Donnie Gimes at Show Me Gunstocks (660-438-4568) I believe is in old Fajen building. Former Fajen employes started their on business. Wenig, (Fred Wenig was Fajen plant Mgr) Roberts are others. Bryan Macon stocks is in area with new machines/equiptment. Fajen name is still out there...www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/fajen/ is their site. It has a whole family of current brands that stocks are sold under.
    Donnie Gimes has made several rifle stocks for me....great product at very fair price. My favorite story is when I ask Donnie about grades of E. Walnut....not A AA AAA AAAA and exb like grading Am Walnut. He said he graded E. Walnut as $100, $200, $300, etc blanks he he he
    Pictures of that E. walnut stock I made/finished/checkered for a BSA Martini Cadet .17 Ackley Bee
    CHECKER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. turmite

turmite Member

Fajen bought Bishop first, then Larry Potterfield bought Fajen with the rights to both companies names. From my understanding, the old wore out equipment and employees (those with experience) were dispenced with, new cnc equipment was bought a building as big as a small town was built to house said equipment. Larry was interviewed by American Rifleman and basically told them that he intended to be "the" stock maker in the US within 4-5 years!

I went to his auction three years into the run. Watched a 3/4 million dollar 5 axis router sell for 80 grand! Met Donny Gemes there and found he had bought most of the figured wood and I won't tell what he told me he paid, but it was a bargin.

I am not sure, but I think that Donny, Fred and the others left with the dispencing.

Mike

7. high 2

high 2 Member

Donnie didn`t buy it all. I`ve still got a couple hundred blanks left from the sale. I just wish I had more cash then. It would make you sick to know what stuff sold for. Larry

8. gunner53

gunner53 TS Member

Does anyone have a schedule of the shoots where they will be haveing a trailer that they do there stock fitting with. I am in Pa and wondered if they might be comming close to here with it. I have two guns would love to have a custom stock made for.
    JK Weaver Pa.

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Here is where I saw them last year:

Missouri State & Fall Handicap

Illinois State

Ohio State

Grand

Let me add....I went for a fitting @ Wenig's shop last year on the day after the Missouri Fall Handicap. They do excellant work, and have great customer service. Their shop is 60 miles from the Missouri Homegrounds in Linn Creek.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In hopes of trying to get my adjustable-rib MX-2000 to break some targets, I went to Wenig last November where Bill English spent a day with me addressing my every question and concern. The outcome was a beautiful stock that fits like a glove. He even cut down the back of the comb to clear the large muffs I favor, gave me the size grip I like, and did not try to up-sell me to some of the really breathtaking wood they keep for the carriage trade. The pad is twisted so I don't need a Jones adjuster. The fore-end fits with a satisfying "snick" when it locks in; everything's just right and it's a terrific looker besides.

I am going to shoot it (registered) for the first time at Buffalo tomorrow and if it works there like it has been doing in practice at Metro, it's "Watch out Vets, I'm baack!"

Neil

11. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

A friendly jab for Mark....it's Lincoln, MO (for Missouri), MS is Mississippi.

Buz

12. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Neil

Would you please post a picture as i would enjoy seeing ?

thanks,

ernie

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

If you would like to see my Wenig stock....click on the link above. Then click on Matt's Equipment. The grad of wood on mine is Wenig standard.

Matt Woodson

14. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Fajen was originally bought out in the 80's by a person name John Barringer, John lived here in Ohio and he allowed Fred and Elbert to run the shop as John was an absente owner. In 1991 Larry Potterfield bought out Fajen and later in that year bought Bishop. Fred and Elbert stayed on for a short time but left within 7 months to start Wenig Custom Stocks. I also attended the auction and they had a beautiful building and very good equipment but the overhead was more than could be paid for. After Fajen closed Donny Gemes left and went out on his own as well.

Dennis DeVault

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ernie, my photos are nothing special and don't do justice to the wood, but here you can see the relief carved in for my Magnum muffs

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

and here's the twist to avoid an adjustable butt plate

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

All in all, I really like it.

Neil

16. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

thanks Neil
    I hope Wenig comes to the southern grand again this year ?
    i may need one !

ernie

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

They will be at the southern grand Rob Taylor told me at the Dixie when I spoke to him about Wenig coming back this year he said yes they will be here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fajen gun stocks

fajen gunstocks

fajen rifle stocks
fajen stock

fajen stocks

reinhart fajen
reinhart fajen gun stocks
reinhart fajen gunstocks