1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fair Prices for Used Guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by XXPowder, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

I see alot of people listing Guns on trapshooters for New Prices! They all have stories about them being like new, ten boxes of shells, etc.
    I have always gone by the rule that used guns in great shape should sell below dealer cost! That's a 20% discount! Also am I the only guy that doesn't think tax should be considered!

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

After buying and selling alot of guns here and on other sites I have never paid or been ask to pay tax . A gun that is as new should bring 90% of a new price . The problem comes in when you think what as new means to you the buyer and to the seller . Anything being shot less then 500 times is as new in a trap gun but not in a Rifle or hand gun . An as new gun would have no dents or scratches and pass as new . Most high end trap guns do sell for less then 20% of new . A new Silver Seitz $14,500.00 can be bought for $10,500.00 and no more then $11,000.00

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with DB bill

There are many individual exceptions though and most of them are down in value --

For example- Krieghoffs are serial number priced for standard grades- even if it were new and 15 years old it would be worth much less than todays serial number-

So you need to know what you are doing

It isnt only fireamrs though but other items- ex; choke tubes are at best usually worth 50 percent of new and maybe only 20 percent but you see guys try to sell them for 95 percent- thats nuts

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Some shooters buy new trusting in an area dealer when they could have shopped and saved money. Now they are trying to recover as much as possible and what would seem fair incomparison to price orginally paid could very well be what a dealer or two that works by volume sells new at.

Original purchasers add "bells and whistles" and when they sell try to recover a portion of that investment as well.

From looking at auction sites (which is rare anymore), to me prices seem to be inflated and since they are posted there, a viewer will then offer like item here for same general pricing.

5. antique

antique TS Member

A new K80 combo list price is $17000.00 the dealer pays about 12000.00 most dealers will SELL that gun for about $13,200 a used one in nice shaped and a high serial number should bring about $9500 to $10.000 and no more than that.Jim

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I think you guys are too nice and optimistic even saying that the guns are worth 80% of new. Used guns that sell are a SIGNIFICANT discount from new. Often about 50%. How many have bought a used gun on here for even 70% of new?

And, to me the real folks with illusions are those poor souls who get a new gun, have the barrels ported and "worked" and then try to sell it for nearly what they paid. People don't like to hear it. But, start drilling holes in your barrels and money is flying out the window.

Jake

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What's a fair price? It's what the customer is willing to pay for the item. Not what you want to sell the item for. Nothing gets sold unless someone is willing to choke up the cash, and that means make them a deal they can't refuse, at their (buyers) fair price. There is no fair price to the seller, if they really want to sell the item. It's the buyers decision as to what's fair. "The buyers always right."

8. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Hey Guys: Your right a gun is worth what someone is will to pay for it!
    I get a kick out of the people selling their gun as new! A new gun has never been shot or sold, and everthing else is used! No one can tell if a gun has been shot ten times or a thousand, used is used! A new gun has a full warrenty and a used one has no warranty or what's left. I priced a gun that the guy wanted $100 less than the new price. Does he really think the dealer wouldn't drop off a $100 to make a sale, he also wants the buyer to pay the shipping!
    As buyers we all want a good deal, you just have to accept that some people are way over priced and that they are hoping that someone will pay over market.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

bottom line is a gun is worth what you are willing to pay.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Don't like the price? Go find another at the price you like! Maybe it's only for sale if the guy gets his price. There are enough diferent places to buy guns now so keep on looking. JMHO, Bill

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What the hell is all the squawking about?

If you want it and it's too high, make an offer.

If it's too cheap, buy it and make a profit.

If it's just right, ask wifey if you can have it.

HM

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I have bought and sold several guns on this forum. It seems I always buy high and sell low. LOL BRGII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fair price guns