1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fair price for an 870 Competition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I have recently noticed that I am slowly losing my desire to visit the trap club. I am trying to back away from the game for a while but I dont want to get out of it entirely just in case the desire returns. Because of this I just cant justify having a $5000 perazzi just sitting in the safe. So I have sold the perazzi and I am now on the look for a cheaper gun like an 870 competition. I want a gun that has managed recoil. The obvious choice would be an automatic of some kind but I like to shoot buddies, annie oakley's, and Blue chips, and that slide is a pain to pull back after every shot. so my question is, if i ever have the opportunity to purchase an 870 comp. what would be a fair price for one? any input would be greatly appreciated. BYG

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

BYG.....While an 870 Comp is an ideal gun for what you want to use it for, with one of the best barrels ever, parts to keep it working properly are going to be your biggest concern. Finding "O" rings etc. for the barrel and recoil assembly is next to impossible. In order for the 870 Comp to operate as it was designed, EVERYTHING in the system must be in good condition and replaced on a fairly regular basis, and the gun must be cleaned completely very often. While going to an automatc is something to consider, especially with the aftermarket bolt handles availabe to make opening them much easier, I would lean towards a good model 12.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

Not to hijack the thread, but what is a 'blue chip' match? I've never heard of that particular game.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you're looking for one that is in around 98% condition and hasn't been fired since around 1985 contact me. Tight as new!!

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Forget the Competition 870--Dan Thome hit it squarely on the head. AND--the Comp is a SINGLE shot only. Get a good 1100 Trap and that takes care of your recoil concerns.I don't understand what you mean about pulling back the action. You only need to do that the 1st time to load. When you fire the semi-auto--it stays open!

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yes. Adn the 1100 in either a MC or a strate stock will be a easier fit.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Andy. Can you put up a pic of your 870 comp? Or I can post it for you.

Jack

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

He means the times that he doesn't have to fire. If he's shooting a buddy and his partner breaks the target, he doesn't have to shoot and would have to open the bolt to unload the gun before walking off the line or to change loads during an Annie.

One point I will make, most 870's shoot very flat. If you are used to shooting a higher POI than 60/40 you'll have some adjustments to make. Why not just look for a decent BT-99 with a counter coil or other recoil reducer on it. They do tend to shoot flat too, but so much so as an 870.

9. dzneff

dzneff Member

I sold mine about 18 mo. ago. It was 98% condition W/Cary Comb & Timney trigger for $650.00

Dennis

10. 333t

333t Member

About the only part that wears out on the Competition 870 is the o-ring. You can get a good replacement at nearly any hardware or plumbing shop for about a quarter. Take the original with you to get the exact size.

Phil

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Phil... I owned an 870 Comp. The "O" rings you buy at the hardware store are useless on a Comp. The "O" ring will be junk in less than 25 rounds if everything else is working properly.... Dan

12. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

you can buy o rings at hardware store or auto parts store put one in my 870 comp about a year ago have put about 3000 thousand rounds through it with no problems. Dan.

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Five or six hundred dollars should buy you a good one. But all the above warnings apply.

Do not buy it if the bore isn't about 0.735 and the choke close to 0.038 or so. The only point in having one is the factory untouched barrel. If modified, It's worthless.

Neil

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Neil, I guess I'll have to throw away my 2 since they are worthless. Anyone want some junk 870 Comps, since they aren't good for anything with barrels that have been modified?

On second thought, guess I'll keep em and use em to prop up the garage door.

Gne J

15. 333t

333t Member

Dan (Trap2)

I have used the hardware store rings in my Competition for some time. They rarely require changing and I keep an eye on them. Maybe the quality of the rings varies with manufacturer. I have had zero problems with them and they cost far less than the factory rings. (if you can find them).

Phil

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

wow, lots of opinions on this thread and some from some very good sources. I have my own if you want them

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Well, my two kick just like any other 870 which is a lot and so I guess if they'd been "opened up" they would be worth about as much as any 870 which had likewise been "opened up."

So I'll take back "worthless" and substitute "a couple of hundred less than unmodified."

But what do you have then? Taking one apart is flat dangerous, so besides a no-longer-a-collector's -item barrel, what's the appeal?

Neil

18. linkerman

linkerman Member

There is a butiful "as new" with box being offered on Auction Arms.com at 695.00 with no bids........

Auction number:
    Vintage Remington Model -- 870 COMPETITION TRAP 12ga SHOTGUN LNIB
    Time Left till Auction Closes -- 3 Days, 23 Hours, 10 Minutes
    Firearms : Shotgun - Single Shot - Item# 9361485

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Here's a nice one!! $650 delivered to your FFL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Neil, I don't know about yours, but neither of mine kick any more than my 1100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.