1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

failure to fire rule?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i was reading the ata rule book and it said you are allowed 2 failure to fire for each event for any reason. is this correct? i also read that you are allowed a call of no target. what is the difference? sometimes i call for a target but the speaker does not respond and the target is delayed going out. Needless, to say i don't shoot at slow pulls. is this considered a no target or failure to fire? from what i can tell you can have 2 failure to fire per event plus some no targets?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

"i was reading the ata rule book and it said you are allowed 2 failure to fire for each event for any reason. is this correct?"

No.

Read the rest of the sentence.

"is this considered a no target or failure to fire?"

No target

"from what i can tell you can have 2 failure to fire per event plus some no targets?"

Almost, but it's sub-evednt, not event.
    Neil

3. smsnyder

why does the rule book say you are allowed 2 failure to fire for ANY REASON other than paragraph c-2?. This only applies to shoots. shoot offs you are allowed one. CORRECT. what is considered other?

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What does C-2 say?

Neil

5. smsnyder

When a whole target appears promply upon reconizable command and you don't shoot at it it is a loss. than why does the rule book also say you are allowed 2 failure to fire per event for any reason other than paragraph c-2 also? If i call for a target and the pull is slow which often happens this apparently applies to the failure to fire rule? Who calls that one? Neil you said that the rule allmost applies to what i stated. now i am really confused. Does (any reason) mean what it says?

6. smsnyder

no target. a piece breaks, not a legal target, not a legal color, other things come out of the trap house besides a target, two targets come out the same time. correct. slow pulls and gun fails to fire are failure to fire in which you are allowed 2. correct.

7. smsnyder

DEVILS A .a regular shoot. perhaps i don;t understand what a sub events means. unless i went to a different school any reason means just that.

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"slow pulls and gun fails to fire are failure to fire in which you are allowed 2. correct."

Nope

9. smsnyder

MTA, What the heck does nope mean. a slow pull is a slow pull. if i don't shoot it does apply to the failure to fire rule.

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

It means you're wrong. Slow pulls are not FTF's.

11. smsnyder

mtm, how can i be wrong? if you call for a target and trap or speaker does not respond it is a failure to fire rule.

12. smsnyder

debris exiting is a no target. correct. slow pull cannot be a no target. who the heck calls that one? i never seen a scorer call no target on a slow pull yet?

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

TARGET debris is a no target. A slow pull is not an FTF.

14. smsnyder

mta, your nopes are making me crazy. lol

15. smsnyder

neil, i need help to understand this one. mta nopes are making me punch my computer.

16. Harold

Harold TS Member

No, a failure to fire is WHEN YOU TRY TO SHOOT THE FREAKIN GUN, AND IT DOESN'T FIRE.

17. smsnyder

harold, right. the no target rule applies when target is wrong color, illegal target or angle, broken target, two targets come out at the same time, other stuff comes out of trap house. (Slow pull?) if this is considered a no target than why don't the scorers ever call it that? Failure to fire or no target? which one?

18. smsnyder

nyttro, i do not have it right i got no answer to my last question? thanks

19. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Actually I have heard "no target" come out of the mouth of a scorer on both fast and slow pulls.......not saying it is right????
    One itgem all of us can do, and have the right to do is refuse a target that is either fast or slow......I do not care if there is 50 of them in the event. Just a few weeks ago, one station I had called about 10 targets to get 5 that were on time. Not an issue then or now if needed do so. However I would ask management to change the speaker out...........

GS

20. Harold

Harold TS Member

If the scorer just sees someone not fire at a target, and does not see a broken piece or notice a slow pull, they will probably assume it was a FTF. Maybe you should speak up if you think it was a no target. OTOH if you hold your fire and do not have a good excuse, the scorer will probably assume it was FTF but it should really be scored lost. In that case an honorable trapshooter will so inform the scorer and get it changed to a lost target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.