1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Failure to Fire rule in PITA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I am looking for some interpretation on the Failure to Fire rule in the PITA. The rulebook says two failures to fire, due to flinch, broken gun, etc.,are allowed per each sub-event. Is a sub-event each 25 target trap within say a 100 target Handicap or is a sub-event a 100 target event within the whole shoot program? I also shoot sporting clays & they allow three failures per day, per event so eight per event sounded like quite a few. John

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John...A sub-event is each 25 target trap. There are 4 sub-events in each 100 target "event"......Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. bullytou

bullytou TS Member

Each sub event is 25 targets so yes, you would be allowed 8 per hundred.
    Krista

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A sub-event would normally be 25 targets,so you could have 8 FTF's in an event, but a FTF is totally different from the gun/ammo malfunction allowed in Sporting Clays. The allowable failure-to-fire includes flinches, leaving the safety on, forgetting to load a shell, - virtually anything that prevents you from firing.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Hi Dave and Dan, it looks like I will be shooting in my first ever PITA shoot at the Grand Pacific. I don't quite understand the PITA rules about Failure to Fire on 2nd shot in Doubles if you miss the 1st bird but as usual the rule seems more logical than the corresponding rulebook in ATA.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike........ In PITA doubles, if you miss your first target and have a FTF on the second target, you get a second pair, with the first target of the second pair being scored as a loss. You must shoot both targets on the second pair, but, regardless whether you break the first one or not, it is still scored lost and the second target is scored as it is shot. I'll look forward to seeing you at the Grand. Maybe we can shoot a practice round together or something??? Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

That sounds great, Dan. We will probably get there Monday afternoon but I don't think I will shoot Monday's events. I talked to Sue yesterday and will join the PITA at the Grand.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike..... Dave and I will also be there to shoot on Monday. We are arriving in Tumwater on Saturday afternoon to get settled into the motel, etc. We will leave for Seattle early on Sunday morning to attend the finals of the Shucks NHRA Drag Races in Kent, just a few miles up the highway. Will return to Tumwater on Sunday night, get some sleep, and hit it hard on Monday morning. See you there.....Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.