1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Facts Without Bias

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TIKI2RUBICON, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIKI2RUBICON

TIKI2RUBICON TS Member

I am a retired FFL Dealer. I have sold many firearms in my time. However, I have always used my 1100 Skeet for Trap shooting. I bought a working man's over and under last year. Now, I am in the market for an heirloom over and under. I have narrowed it down to two guns. The first, a Browning XT Trap Over and Under with adjustable comb, standard stock, with 32" bbls. The second, SKB 85TSS High Grade Over and Under with adjustable comb and Pigeon Porting by Mag-na Port. I am prepared to spend a reasonable amount for this particular purchase. Here is the obstacle I have come to, Browning, service problems, as an FFL, I worked on many Brownings that I had to request parts from Canada Provinces. With SKB and older Brownings, many of the older models had cracked stocks. As I am an avid shooter, 500-1000 rounds per weekend, and the intention of this purchase is for durability, appearance(fit and finish), handling, and heirloom, which is the best? Sincerely, Joshua Cox

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Go with the Browning.

The SKB are no longer being made. Eventually the parts will dry up and be hard to find. The Brownings have been made forever and there are plenty of parts and gunsmiths who can and will repair them.

3. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Browning Bar None

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Browning over skb..maybe consider Beretta?

I raced Husqvarna's in the 70's and don't remember ever finishing last due to the bikes brand..

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Given the two, I would recommend the Browning, they have better resale value and because SKB's have a longstanding reputation for poor triggers. I have known several people over the years who had fits with the triggers especially with sub-gauge tubes. I understand that SKB redesigned the triggers a few years ago, but I still hear stories.

I always hate when people answer a different question than the one that is asked. But, I second the Beretta recommendation. Most people will never wear one out, but if you do, rebuild is simple and parts are readily available. There are 4 sets of locking forks and trunnions available, less than $100 and tight as new. With proper care a rebuild should not be needed for 100-150 thousand targets. Stocks and barrels will interchange with minor fitting.

Michael Goines

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Beretta.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I didn't see Beretta as one of his choices although i must agree. You want a new gun that already has real heirloom beauty try one of Joel Etchens 687 EELL. Nothing wrong with my 682 Gold E Trap either

Joel Etchen 687 EELL Classic

[​IMG]

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Heirloom and SKB do not compute.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's cute that someone considers an SKB an "heirloom" gun, LOL.

-Gary

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm biased. 90-T.

Durability champ for a fair price.

HM

11. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Shoot them both then decide,someone elses experience doesn't mean squat you are the one shooting it.Jerry

12. TIKI2RUBICON

TIKI2RUBICON TS Member

I have done alot of research, even contacted some of my old FFL/Distributor contacts. I will be purchasing a Browning Citori XT Gold Trap with 32" bbls on Saturday. Thank you for giving me somethings to look at and some of your opinions.
    Sincerely,
    Joshua Cox

13. missed some

missed some TS Member

I have never seen the words heirloom, skb, or browning used in the same sentence. all i can say is WOW!!!

14. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The XT is a good gun.

Please check back in 6 months to tell us how it's working out. At 500-1,000 rounds a week you'll break that gun in very quickly.

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

S K B = Shoulda' Kept Browning.

No brag, just fact.

16. missed some

missed some TS Member

joe e 1, an old browning isn't the same gun as xt. I like to compare apples to apples, and oranges to oranges.the new SKB's aren't what they used to be either.But hey, you pick your heirloom i will pick mine.I won't buy a xt or a new skb and call em heirloom or investments.you can if ya want.

17. fcd67

fcd67 Member

heir·loom
    [air-loom]
    –noun
    a family possession handed down from generation to generation.

I have an old beat up Rem Model 11 I consider an heirloom. I received it from my wife's great uncle. I will pass it down to my kids and keep it in the family.
    Sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.