1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Factory Shells vs Reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeeljc, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What price for a bag of shot would cause you to switch between reloading and purchasing factory shells?

Personally anything north of $30.00 causes me to shop for factory shells. I prefer light loads (1 oz @ 1150 fps) but they are hard to find in the promotional shell offerings.

Jim Skeel

2. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Gun Clubs at Dicks 4.78/bx in cs lots, #8,1-1/8oz 1145fps

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Even at $30 per 25 lbs. my cost to load a box of 1 1/8 is $3.60. With my home made shot it's $2.11.

Buz

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Regardless of costs, I completely favor my custom, hand crafted loads. I guess if I couldn't afford to load then I couldn't afford to shoot.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

What Bob Dodd said! I can load ammo that I cannot buy. I can load better ammo than I can buy, and most importantly, I have more confidence in ammo I load!

6. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

My reloads cost $4.61 US per box. So if I can buy factory new for less, I do.

7. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I agree with Bob and the Coach I prefer my 1 oz sts loads with 8's and
    16.9 of clays.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If I find promo shells between $4.50 -$5.00 per box then I like to keep a flat or three of those around for registered singles but I still prefer to shoot my reloads at $2.80 - $4.00 per box for virtally everything else. I have 3 different recipes I load - an international load for my son's bunker practice, a 1oz load for singles, doubles and (gasp) skeet and a 1 1/8 handicap/sporting load for when i need a boomer. I really like my hand loads. Cost is only one factor in the decision tree.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Too much wankin' there, buddy.

Check the chart on the Santa thread.

HM

10. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I quit loading when shoot hit $16.00

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

If you don,t have your NEW shells bought now for next year your SOL . Yes new shells will be going up (alot). I have new shells bought for next year and the year after that .

12. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I have just heard a rumour that the Melbourne Gun Club [ here in OZ ] is selling shot for AU$ 92.50 for a 10kg [22lb] bag NOW that really tears the crutch outa ya nightee !!!

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Depends, not only on the price of shot but also on the price of new factory shells. When shot went to $45 a bag and Wal-Mart was still selling STSs & Nitros at $5.98 a box--------it was time to stock up on new shells. Now that they went up to $7.50 a box, next summer when shot'll be back down to $30 a bag--------I'll crank up the 9000G again.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.