1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Factory POI settings

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JerryP, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I assume it is the POI looking flat down the rib. In reality it is going to vary depending upon the person shooting the gun.

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Either way can make sense so I'd take it to the pattern board. That's why they're there.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your gun must go to paper to see YOUR POI.

I am an Amerind, and have very high cheek bones. The typical Skeet gun shoots 80/20 for me.

Most Trap guns shoot almost 100% high for me. I actually prefer this, adjust guns with adjustments for this, and still shoot Skeet and Trap fairly well in my old age.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

A factory-fresh gun can shoot anywhere at all, no matter what the maker says. You just have to find out for yourself what your particular example does.

A gun which has had "choke work" is even more doubtful, if possible.

Neil

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

NSXER- If a gun were held in a "mechanically fixed position and fired" something would probably break.

The POI of a gun can be changed simply by putting more or less cheek pressure on the comb. A gun that shoots 50/50 for me could shoot very differently for another person.

When testing a new gun, I am much more concerned about discovering if the gun shoots to the right or left with the sights aligned. I know how to change a POI up and down. Changing the POI to the right or left can also be easily done but changing it the correct amount is tricky.

Pat Ireland

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

The factory POI is not important. What IS important is where it shoots for YOU!

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

NSXER,

Yes, it means next to nothing - only that the barrel is relatively straight and will place the center of the pattern "near" (within factory tolerances, whatever they are) to the POI claimed by the gun's manufacturer.

The vertical POI as others have stated, will depend on where the height of the comb on the gun positions your eye, relative to the rib. If it allows you to look along the rib, the gun might give you the POI that is given by the manufacturer. This assumes that the distance of your cheekbone below your eye is the same as that chosen or assumed by the manufacturer.

Rollin

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

NSXER, the data is nothing more than marketing. It is very important as Pat stated to check for yourself the POI for not only vertical but horizontal placement. There are way to many guns on the market that don;t properly print left to right especially.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

NSXER, the data is nothing more than marketing. It is very important as Pat stated to check for yourself the POI for not only vertical but horizontal placement. There are way to many guns on the market that don;t properly print left to right especially.

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

IMHO,stacking the beads is total B.S.

If you had a mid bead that was movable it could then be run up and down the rib and stacked or buried with no change in the POI of your gun.

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've been posting about a K-80 Top Single barrel. I'm saying what if a barrel doesn't meet their advertized spec. What then? Dave T.

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Then I would contact the maker and see what they could do...

13. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Browning Service told me POI is to be 9 inches high at 40 yards plus or minus 3 inches. They replaced a top single for me that was less than 50/50. Its now about right with some space between the beads, maybe a 32nd and prob 80%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.