1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Factory only competition ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I am only a local Sunday afternoon trap shooter so I don't understand registered trap shooting competition.

In rifle and handgun competitions there are routinely categories reserved for "Factory Only" competitions.

No Shilen match barrels, no McMillan stocks, no aftermarket triggers, etc. allowed. The factory only shoots tend to bring out a lot of folks who, whether justified or not in their thinking, believe there would be no fun in competing against unlimited guns. Some people do compete in both unlimited and factory only shoots.

In IHMSA pistol competition, they limited the gun to an MSRP of $1,000 to prevent the custom makers which produce less than 1,000 guns per year from competing against the mass produced Rugers.

Appreciate that "it is the Indian, not the arrow." But the point is to encourage novice shooters who, again justified or not in their thinking, believe there would be no fun in shooting against $15,000 guns.

Has there ever been such a factory only category in trap shooting ?

Say limited to guns under $2,500 ?

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of one. Doesn't make much sense really, in trapshooting those expensive guns don't really provide that much advantage, if any, over a cheaper gun. It is a different situation in rifle/pistol.

3. shark1

shark1 Member

I have seen some good ole boys and girls smokem with 870 traps and 1100 trap guns. A BT99 used, in the 600-800 range wins a lot of shoots. I have lost many a shoot to some guy with an old 1100. 870 Comps might be one of the most advanced guns ever made! Remington did a great job of making quality guns at very affordable prices so this kinda takes a way the factory only competition. Michael Sharkey, DC

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Everybody has to use an unmodified Topper!!!

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Hammer, I was at a ATA shoot at your home club last summer and a person I know very well shot a 100 in singles with a borrowed gun. A gun is a personal preference and I am not so sure it makes a hoot of difference in most cases. I buy and shoot expensive trap guns because I can and I like to shoot them. In my mind it makes a difference to me and that's all that matters because my biggest competition is me.

6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Just thinking of how to get more shooters involved in trap shooting.

Just thinking that removing a perceived barrier -- doesn't matter if it is real or not -- might encourage a few more folks to try trap shooting.

Will let it pass.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I love winning shoots with my Remington 1100 and 3200. HMB

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A person doesn't need a $15K gun to get good at trap but they do need to spend at least that much in ammo and targets. The higher end guns are more often than not just a status thing and not necessarily an indicator of the owner's skill.

That being said, there is a functional advantage to using a gun specifically designed for trap which may cost $3K-$4K over using a common $300-$400 field gun. Those advantages become apparent after you have shot several thousand rounds out of your field gun and realize that if your going to spend that much money on the game then you should get the right equipment. Most of us here have been through that part of the learning curve.

Now as far as making a special class for the lower cost guns, I think we already have enough classes to the point that a person can be competitive within their skill or equipment limitiations. On the flip side there is nothing that keeps a guy and is plain jane 870 from playing with the big dogs if he has the ability.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Hammer you have struck a blow to the ATA shooter and they know not how to respond. In one sentence you would take away all those who have spent untold thousands on their equipment so they don't have a flinch and or all those who want others to think their guns with modifications gives them the extra edge to drop the novices moral into thinking they can't win with a factory trapgun. I mentioned one time that I'd like to see a class shot at Sparta with pull triggers only and was soundly scolded by those who shoot the release. I like your idea. I know there are factory gun shooters who would want to be there shooting with you. For the time being I think your idea will have to be implemented at local shoots and annie matches and partner shoots. Nice thought though putting everone on a level playing field and seeing who can shoot without the benefit of highly expensive gun modifications. Dan

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

" Nice thought though putting everone on a level playing field and seeing who can shoot without the benefit of highly expensive gun modifications. Dan"

Dahaub(Dan)-=-Could you kindly explain to someone less knowledgable on the subject like myself how a higher dollar gun makes you a better shooter? I'll be off to buy my $15,000 K gun to put me at AAA27AAA just as soon as you finish. I knew it was as simple as which gun and how much it cost.

You don't really believe that BS do you???

P.S. Wasn't Leo using a Remington 1100 before somebody stole them?? Didn't he break alot of records using that 1100??

Matt

11. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Leo did shoot an 1100,Bob Munson shot an 870, Etchen shot an 870 I think if we all went back to the 1100, 870, mod 12's the winners would be the same people. I shot an 1100 made AA 27 with it, switched to a break open because it was easier to operate shot to shot. Less things to break. I paid $170 for my first 1100 is that basic enough?

12. bgf

bgf Active Member

"Nice thought though putting everone on a level playing field...". I am so sick of this comment. As sone as you can figure it out, let all the politicos, lawyers, green piecers, etc., know so the world can be on a "level playing field". Geeze..........

Bernie

13. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

My 2 cent,

I would like to see a event that everyone shot the same model, maybe have Remington Arms sponsor the event one year and make available 1100’s (just the same model for everyone). Then one of the ammo companies provides the shells. Make the field as level a possible; everyone must use the sponsor’s furnished guns and shells. Then afterwards auction the shotguns for charity or even the ATA. That way you can buy gun that Leo, Phil, Ricky, or Harlan had used… or maybe even Bernie, LOL Just an idea… Grubby

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

How would you do that unless you are talking about a real small shoot? Any significant shoot where those guys you are talking about attend, have fun talking Remington etc. into donating enough guns to supply 10 or more banks worth of shooters all shooting at once.

15. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

DobberBobby as usual, with his liberal bullshit politics, now wants to spread the wealth and not allow a first rate trapgun because it fits, has a great barrel, great trigger etc because it is unfair to the "little guy" who can't afford the best?! I am not the least bit surprised! Furthermore,he thinks this will dramatically increase the ATA registered shooting?! This guy is really a hoot! Tom Rhoads

16. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I'm not talking about everbody and their brother shooting... Just a select few, like the top 5 from 16yd and the top 5 from caps.... come back to earth and take your meds.... The idea is to raise money and and have some fun....Grubby.....

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Grub:

Then say an event for a "select few" instead of "everyone."

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

"A BT 99 wins a lot of shoots".

Not around my local club. I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone shooting one. The most common gun among the regular shooters, by far, is a K-80 combo. There are a few Perazzis, a couple of Kolars, a couple of Blasers, some Berettas (only one or two are autos), one Ljutic, and my Alfermann. The guy who has the Ljutic sold his DT-10 combo because he didn't shoot doubles. SKBs were popular for a while but seem less so now. There aren't many 870s or 1100s in use, and I can't remember the last time I saw a Model 12.

19. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Ok here's how to do it! Shoot your five targets on a post and LEAVE YOUR GUN for the next shooter. Everybody shoots everubodys gun! LOL

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The top shooters would beat us worse than they already do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.