1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Factory New AA 28ga Shells Splits in Brass Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by henrims, Nov 21, 2012.

1. henrims

henrims Member

Factory new never fired AA 28ga, many many shells with splits in brass, as many as 10 shells per box. Maybe they're trying to jam too much stuff into these 1300fps loads. Anybody else experience this? What did you do, return them or contact Winchester? Should I just shoot them and never buy them again? I normally reload these so this really ticks me off, especially since I have 4 more flats of them.

Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tcouch

tcouch Member

A fellow shooter had this problem. He contacted Winchester and they shipped the defective rounds back and sent new ammo.

Tim

3. Glass balls

Glass balls Member

I had both the 28ga and 410 AA HS hulls do that, more of them in 410 than the 28ga ones, but not 10 in a box, more like 2 out of 25. As irritating to me has been the HS wads get easily "cocked" when pressed into the 28ga hulls (of course the 410s don't have that problem). For all those reasons I have went exclusively to the Remington shells (although the Remington's do crack a bit easier at the crimps). Has anyone else struggled with those "spring" HS wads getting "cocked" when reloading?

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The pics look like they came out of the box that way. Appears to be either very brittle brass or the pressed-in base wads were oversize I don't think the AA wad would put enough pressure to cause that. I'd contact Winchester like tcouch said. Ross

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

For new shell that breass doesn't look that hot to beguin with. Make them send you the sticker for the return. They have to correct this problem. Not worth the liability issues on their part. I know Remington was easy to deal once but split brass was not an issue, crimps on steel shot and they made good on the product.

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

You are supposed to be able to use the new HS wads in the older AA hulls, but I've found that it takes a lot more pressure to seat them fully. That makes me worry about pressure, too.

First the HS fiasco in the 12 gauge hulls, now this problem with the 28's!

I sure wish Winchester would give up and go back to their original hull design.

Kiv

7. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

I've had a few of these split after the first reload but nothing bad out of the box. However, my new shells are 2 years old and are WIN AAHS 9shot 2 dr.eq. that I use for skeet. I have had no problems reloading these or REM 28s on my spolar.

8. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I had the same problem with a flat of 28 ga AA HS I bought last year 1-2 per box were split when new and another similar amount split on the first firing. Who knows what will happen to any reloads of the good hulls. Seem Winchester must have had a run of brittle or thin brass. I was going to send them back to Winchester but never got around to it.

9. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Gents,

Perhaps a combination of a slightly oversized chamber, off-tempured brass, and perhaps higher chamber pressure with these 1300 fps loads?? I've seen a wide variation of chamber sizes which you'll see if you pick up discarded hulls, once-fired or more. Just some thoughts.

In the past I've had that problem with some new old-style 28 Ga shells, many with cracked brass. I kind of thought they may have been a run of shells from years before and the brass has "aged" some??

BTW, I just tested some HS 410 hulls I'm using and without a primer in them they don't respond to my magnet at all. I have no HS 28 ga at this time but would think they are brass as well.

Larry

10. johnpe

johnpe Member

I first ran into this problem, only with Winchester brass headed shotshells, in about 1970. At the time they told me it was poor annealing and to send them the lot number. I did and they replaced each piece of split brass with a box of shells of the same load. I don't know if that is the present issue or Winchester's remedy. It's certainly worth a try. The lot number(s) are on the boxes.

Johnpe

11. henrims

henrims Member

I'll try to contact Winchester and see what kind of results I get.

I normally don't buy 1300fps stuff. Unfortunately that's all the store had at the time I was there.

Thanks for the comments, Mike

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have had the occasion to send Winchester defective ammunition (centerfire and shotshell) three times over the years. In each instance I was over-compensated for my trouble with no hassle.

With those hulls being a $0.15-0.20 part of the equation, you should contact them for a replacement.

FWIW, I have had a couple AA HS 28s split in exactly the same manner....after about two dozen reloads.

13. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

Had the same thing happen. Winchester replaced both the unfired shells that were split well as the once fired hulls that split. Out of 5 flats I purchased I had 1 complete flat to be replaced.

14. henrims

henrims Member

I'm happy to report that I contacted Winchester and they replaced my split shells with new ones! They were very quick to respond to my email and paid shipping both ways.

Thank you Winchester for taking care of this!

Mike

15. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I do not recommend that you use the red 28ga wads meant for the hs hulls in the old style hulls (as stated in an above post). I did this once by mistake and you cannot get the wad out of the hull it fits so tight. I could not get it fully seated and could not pull it out. (An old hull got mixed up with my HS hulls). I can only think that this would greatly increase the pressure. Regards, Bob

16. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The only place I know of that an HS was is recommended for the older compression formed hull (in 28 ga and .410 bore) is the use of the Claybuster CB5050-410HS wad. The bag says it is a replacement for the WAA410HS, SP410, 410SC, and WAA41 wads. I've tried it, and it works (although I prefer the PC Orange wad in my .410 CF hulls).

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Here is why yourn new style wads do not fit in an old style case.
    [​IMG]

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob K, Don't switch the 28 gauge wads around in the old and the new hulls they are too different. Yes the 410 hulls are different. You can use the Claybuster wad in both the old and the new and the same with downranges Orange PC 410 wads as well (I've used the orange PC in all three 410 hulls, both Win.'s and the Rem.). But Claybuster still makes two different AA wads for the 28 ga. for a reason. Only load the HS wads in HS hulls period for the 28. Have fun and load safe. The 28 gauge is still my fav. Break em all. Jeff

19. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

On the subject of these split 28 ga. hulls could you post a lot number off the boxes? Thanks, Mike....

20. BD457

BD457 Member

10 per 25 round box!? I now have huge reservations about their quality control. How could this possibly slip by at a 40% defective rate?

I won't be buying any Winchester ammo.

Search tags for this page

28 gauge aa hulls brass splitting

28g aahs brass cracking

does anyone use pc wads in aa and remington 410 hulls

shotgun shells split brass