1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Factors that Influence you to Attend a Trap Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 458 WM, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 458 WM

458 WM TS Member

Small Gun clubs across America are struggling to keep active and hold registered shoots. What factors are most influencial for you to choose to attend?

Cost of Targets - Travel Expenses - Good Targets - Well Run Programs - Prizes and Awards - Social Atmosphere - Potential to win $ - Options and Special Events - Good Food - Clean Club House and Restrooms - ATA All American Points - Advertisment in Magazines - Program Flyers and Booklets - Camping Facilities etc. etc. etc.

Feedback is important from shooters to help get participation at small clubs and to keep our sport growing.

Thanks for your responses.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I can deal with almost anything but distance & travel time are at the top of my list. More than 1 hr drive time and it's a no go for me. I have two clubs under 100 miles from me, one is 17 miles and the other is 47 miles. Maybe I'll shoot at the furthest one 2x a year-vs-50x at the closest.

Eric

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I like going to a club that has good score keepers, the kind that know what they are doing and have their attention on doing their job, and doing it correctly. Oh, and wearing short shorts and a halter top are a plus.

4. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I would say for a local shoot at a small club, that proximity to where I live, how well-run the shoot is and quality of targets are my priorities. Also, everyone's time is at a premium. I love to shoot but it drives me crazy when a shoot drags on forever due to poor planning and organization. The long waits of a day long shoot drive me crazy.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Well set targets, well set targets, well set targets, well set targets and last but not least.........well set targets, in that order.

John C. Saubak

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Decent weather.....I've shoot my fair share of crappy weather targets and at age 60 I get "stoved-up" when it's cold and/or wet.

Well set targets.....it's just as easy to throw good targets as bad.

Doesn't have to be fancy but the food should be good.

Start on time and keep the shoot moving.

Friendly sign up personnel.

Knowledgeable or experienced management.

Clean bathroom.

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Travel distance (< 200 miles), good organization, ability to pre-squad. I like to shoot on the early squads.

HBT

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Watauga Gun Club NC - Chicken Wing Fling - even if you shoot bad and the food is good - life is GREAT!

FRedmon

9. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

good food and cost of targets its just a social event for me

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If it's a small club/small shoot, the only things that matter to me is if a lot of the people that I like to socialize and shoot with will be there.

11. 458 WM

458 WM TS Member

Results of the Survey ( 10 responses)
    Good Targets -3
    Good Food -3
    Travel Distance - 2
    Well Run Shoot and Good Managment - 4
    Good Score Keepers - 1
    Weather = 1
    Friendly People - 1
    Clean Bathrooms - 1
    Ability to Pre Squad - 1
    Cost of Targets - 1
    Social Atmosphere - 1

I will continue to sumarize results

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Any club that throws targets. I try to get to 2 or 3 new clubs to me every year, you don't know what jewels you will find. I guess I have been around long enough that I run into somebody I know and can talk to. To me a 1 day shoot is a time to relax. All the things mentioned are pluses but to me the people are the most important, if they really care then I can give up a lot.

Don

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Proximity and a chance to win a little something.

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mostly where and when is the next one.

I like and appreciate well set targets and well trained trap help.

Proximity is great too. We in central Maryland are lucky to have so many choices within a 250 mile radius--clubs and shoots both large and small. Open it up to 500 miles and the choices are virtually endless.

FRedmon-You made me hungry dammit! You should be forced to provide each of us a plate--cept I like two rolls with butter and a cold bud.

Guy Babin

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I must agree with Don, the people at the shoot are very important. If there were no people at a shoot except me, I would leave. And, this has happened to me. Seems as if calendars confuse me at times.

Pat Ireland

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You can do averything right and one thing wrong and guess what no body will forget ..? Good targets, Good people, little wasted time and Good Food ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. KRE

KRE TS Member

In the following order,

(1) Less than 100 miles from home.
    (2) Ability to shoot the early squads.
    (3) No whiner's, or know it all's
    (4) Food on site.
    (5) Lots of targets, be they good or bad.
    (6) Club/shooter's ability/willingness to shoot games, or wobble.

Cost is not a factor, if I can drive 200 miles to shoot a 2K + gun, whats an extra 30-50 bucks(over the old days)for targets, or shells. You can't take it with you, others have tried an failed

Shooting, is a relief valve for me, I don't see clay targets, I see face's. :)

KRE

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

458WM I sent you a PM

19. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Good targets?... Just get them out of the house and above the ground somewhere and we'll shoot at them.

Prizes?... Not an issue.

Good scorekeepers?... We can keep our own score, thanks.

Food?... We'll bring our own.

The one thing that DOES matter to us is that the equipment work properly. Nothing is more of a pain to us than traps that throw at the noise from the next trap, traps that break targets when they throw them or mics that don't work (properly or at all).

Lister

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with BIGDON also!

I'll go shooting at a club that happens to be open and throwing targets, even if they aren't perfectly set! Each target is a challenge or should be, not a gimme in the same spot every time, how monotonous that can be? The easier the target settings, the higher you must raise your mental game to deal with that, 100 times!!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.