1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FACE POSITION ON STOCK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

Where do most of you shooters place your cheek in relation to your thumb on the comb of your stock? About an inch from your thumb, shorter or longer?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I put my cheek way forward, close to my thumb. I feel more into the gun than on the gun.

Here's some pictures from the 2008 Olympics, most of them "crawl" forward on the stock, no straight neck/head up (and no elbow up either).

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I mount my gun differently than does Steve. I try to stand normally, look at the house and bring the gun up to my face. I do not bring my head down to the gun. My elbow is also up, unless I forget. My nose ends up around 1 inch from my thumb but I don't think this distance between the thumb and nose is critical.

Also, I am not on the Olympic Team but I do shoot some ATA trap.

Pat Ireland

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I notice that most everything is more pronounced in Olympic trap. The shooters lean more forward, head crawled way up on the stock, elbow way down, etc. Does this mean that it should also apply to ATA trap? Probably not! The rule of thumb I use is that if I'm shooting ATA trap do as the big dogs do and if I shoot Olympic trap do as the big dogs do. In other words they are two different games and should be treated as such.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Olympic trapshooting requires the ability to move the gun from very low to very high very quickly. You could hardly stand straight up and do that. In American trap, many shooters hold a high gun and there is very little vertical movement.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You will note that it looks very hard to roll your head back and change your POI if you are into the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

proper face position on a shotgun

proper face positioning stock