1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Face or Cheek Rosin ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dan2116, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan2116

dan2116 Member

Can someone tell me what it is I see some shooters applying to there face (cheek) just before shooting.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that if they are shooting skeet, it is probably rouge......lol

Hauxfan!

3. shrek

shrek Active Member

It is probably face saver powder stick to reduce friction on their face, particularly in hot weather.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Remington SP-5 Pre-Shave Talc Stick Face Saver

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many shooters use a shaving powder (for electric razors) on their face. I use a clear paste coating called body glide. It is a product designed for bicycle riders to reduce friction between their legs.

I also use rosin for my hands. I think it gives me a better grip and I like to grip my gun very firmly with both hands.

Pat Ireland

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have been using BURTS BEE's hand salve,,,or a product called Tattoo Goo,,,,they condition the skin and keep it a little slipery

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Walmart carrys the the Remington product, about $4.

Eric

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use vinegar and oil with some oregano..then if my stock punches me in the mouth..I think i got hit with a Coldcut cub

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

In my opinion, only lightweight shooters should have problems with the comb sliding along the cheek during recoil.

If the gun fits and the shooting form is correct, the stock and cheek should move in unison during recoil.

Rollin

10. dan2116

dan2116 Member

OK ..... Rosin is not what I thought it was but ( for the lack of proper term) was trying to find out what the substance actually was and why it was used. I thought it was to keep your face from sticking to the stalk , thus is it supposed to be an aid to recoil? Granted if a gun stalk is properly fitted then recoil should not be an issue for the lightweights out there and no one would be using ROSIN . What I was looking for was someone that uses this stuff ( not Rosin) and there opinions of any benefits. Hauxfan was probably right about it just being a cosmetic thing.......:) Thanks everybody

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I use the Remington powder stick to help absorb the sweat from shooting in the heat of S. Florida.

Eric

12. spritc

spritc Active Member

Dan, are you referring to a corn stalk or a gun stock?

If I had to put crap on my face I wouldn't shoot. You guys need to get Rollin's book and learn what causes these things so you can correct them. Lubrication is supposed to be for another part of your anatomy not your face.

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I use the remington powder, and yes I am a skeet shooter, getting better at trap. I prefer to use the stuff on the hot and sticky days.

Ronbo

14. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

Well Rollin, you had better contact Ricky Marshall, Randy Ross, Tank Lunsford and a whole other host of top all americans that there guns don't fit because they all use either vasileine or some type of dry face lubricant!!

15. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I have a short full beard. Using Bodyglide or Soothing Care (a Monistat product for ladies) reduces the friction between my comb and cheek making shooting more comfortable.

Lately I have been using firm cheek to comb contact to eliminate head lifting and can do so without discomfort.

Charlie

16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

kolardude,

Thanks for the book referral but my Website is still down while international shipping/mailing prices are attempting to be reduced. All books mailed in the U.S. are mailed Priority Mail but international mailing is a challenge. I'm still working on it and hope to have things resolved in a day or two so books can again be ordered through the Website.

Rollin

17. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I use the Remington powder stick when I use the BT with R.A.D. System and it seems to work well. On the other guns with fixed stocks, I don't need it. GOOD LUCK

18. boonedoggle

boonedoggle TS Member

i sort'a like a little k-y on my stalk at certain times. sometimes i dab a little chalk dust on my stock but i don't really think it does much.

s

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can slop yourself up with goop or babypowder and look silly, or you can buy a "Slip Pad" from Meadow Industries for about 10 bucks that will solve the problem of your face sticking to the comb. I use them year around, they add no height to the comb.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

I strongly favor anything that will reduce face slap. The most important thing is a well fitting stock. But some other things can make a well fitting stock even better. The powdered sticks did not work too well for me. When the powder became mixed with perspiration and formed small abrasive gobs that were uncomfortable. I used Vaseline for many years but have now switched to Body Glide. Body Glide stays on my face and not on my shooting vest. Shooters who use Vaseline can be identified by a dark stain on the side of their vest where the gun comb rests between shots. Body Glide does not work better than Vaseline, it is just cleaner.

kolardude stated that he would quit shooting if he had to put stuff on his face. To me, this is very similar to saying "I will quit shooting if I find something that will help me shoot better".

Proper gun fit is the first step. But, proper gun fit can be challenging, especially with a tall person with a long neck. From the center of my "shoulder pocket" to my eye is 10 1/8 inches and this requires some stock adjusting.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what to put on face to prevent trap cheek