1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fabulous Winter Series Sporting Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Today, the Tenn Clay Target Complex had a memorable Winter Series Sporting Shoot.

Board Member Jim Sparks energized everyone and donated three hard, full days of work, along with several volunteers.

The results paid off. Targets were fresh, deceptive, and enjoyable. They were not hard to hit, but were easy to miss. :^)

We had almost 70 shooters, and the delightful Five Stand was packed for most of the day.

Our own Greg Jackson won with a 94. Cold weather and wind took its toll on man and machines (battery draining weather), but the shooters had a great time.

After the shooters finished the tournament, Jim, Bob Clift (a former Board member and volunteer who added valuable advice and help to the shoot), and I made a quick tour and shot two pair per station. I took my LF/XXF Mirage Bunker gun to the course, missed several and smoked several. The birds were so enjoyable that I now have a Sporter "Bought Pending Funds". LOL

Trap and Skeet are a blast, but Sporting offers the best of all worlds.

You old head Trap and Skeet shooters, don't overlook Sporting for fun and cross training.:^))))))

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Very nice report John. Tell us about your new sporter, would you?

Jack

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

"You old head Trap and Skeet shooters, don't overlook Sporting for fun and cross training.:^))))))"

Cross Training? Is that like....Cross Dressing?

Actually, we used to have quite a few Sporting Clays ranges nearby, but they have vanished due to non-support. It was always fun to shoot SC's in the winter between the competitive trap seasons.

Curt

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Coach, What do you all consider cold?

I`m headed out in an hour for a 50 bird shoot, temp 15*, winds, 15 to 20 mph, gusts to 30, wind chill, 1*.

Winter in WNY, S##KS.

JMO, Tom R.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Tommy. In 2006, we had a Winter series in Feb. The weather PEAKED at 16 in sunshine, and we had 99 shooters. A true test of man and machine.

Yesterday, it was in the low 30's. Cold enough for me. The 2 days before, it was in the low 60's. This made it worse.

One thing the Sporting crowd was deficient in, was shooting Trap type targets. Most shooters seemed to take forever to get on the bird, which meant they missed it. They did not stay in the gun well at all.

Several of them had developed a "ritual" of slamming the gun open, and slapping the shells into the ground in front of them. I am sure a Stockmaker will eventually be doing repairs or replacements for some of them. LOL

I found a minty Browning 30" Special Sporting Clays Edition. I used to perform warranty service and repair for Browning. I did not get much work in, but learned the guns intimately. I like the way they are built, the way they perform, and the way they fit me so well.

Keeping them clean, with good firing pins and a Wolff Extra Power Mainspring on the right hammer, seems to be the way to go with these guns.

6. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Coach, Just got back, had fun, glad you guys did to.

Now it`s off to a hot shower so I can thaw out. LL

Tom R.

PS. Don`t even ask how many bird Ileft for breeding, it wasn`t pretty. LL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.