1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fabarms xlr5 velocity Experience

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claydust0069, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claydust0069

claydust0069 Member

I am just curious as to the kinds of experience actual owners of this gun are having. I was thinking about buying one BUT a guy at my club has one and he has had several problems with it. The rib has literally fallen off and hit the ground 3 times and he has had to blue locktite it on. His bolt handle broke and the club lent him one out of another one. It doesn't always lock open and in order for it to function properly he has to clean it every 200 rounds. I don't know if his story has gotten out but the club has several for sale and they do not seem to be moving. Just wondering if this is an anomaly or if this is a design with a lot of problems. A couple of folks have said to me, "Well, it's owned by Ceasar so it has to be pretty good." My standard response has become, "Stoeger is owned by Beretta and Stoeger ain't no Beretta!" Post if you have real world experience with this gun. Jaquas' Dawsons, Indiana Gun Club and a few other places in the midwest have had several used ones for sale lately.

2. Leafcutter

Leafcutter Member

I've had a black 32" XLR for about two months now. Without question, its the softest shooting 12 gauge gun I've ever shot. I've also shot Winchester X1's for ten years now also have a 391. The Fabarms appears to be head and shoulders above anything else out there. I've shot everything from 900 ft per second to 1300 ft per second nitros through it without failure. It has functioned flawlessly with any load I've put through it. I would highly recommend this gun to anyone.
    Mine fell out of my golf cart last week and is still working as always.
    PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want more info.

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

One thing is if the the second shell is not pushed all way in the gun will not feed it and will not stay open after the first shot. Other than that the adjuster screw in the end of the rib has been a problem falling out and needs blue loctite to hold in place. Motordoc

4. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

I just bought one yesterday and shot 50 straight with it out of the box and did the same tonight. Its super soft shooting. Haven't had it long enough to experience any problems but so far Im in love with it.

5. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I shot a round with one recently, and yes it's softshooter. Nice adjustability too. But, for me, the distance between the pistol grip and the trigger is too great, even with the trigger moved back as far as possible.

6. motordoctor

the factory has corrected that problem by recontouring the grip 7 mm closer to the trigger. it's is much better now

7. lel4866

lel4866 Member

So how do you know if you're trying an old grip or the new modified grip? Can an existing owner get their grip modified?

8. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I've been real happy with mine, the more I shoot it the better I get with it. Function has been flawless, cleaning is easy. I have shot it 500 rounds with no cleaning with Promo powder, it was pretty dirty but was still functioning fine.

I have had a rib screw loosen, went thru them all with blue locktite and no problems, really no different than any over under I've had. Everyone of them I've had to locktite fore end or rib screws, part of maintenance and result of shooting a gun a lot.

Really like how easy it is to adjust, can shoot sporting effectively then change the rib quickly and do well at trap. Also as mentioned the recoil is very soft, almost non existent with my light 7/8 oz loads.

The grip is an issue for some and I also heard the factory has made a change already and the latest batch should have the new grip.

Basically I'm happy with the gun and looking forward to many years of use.

9. motordoctor

buy a new stock to get the shorter one. not sure if there is an way to identify them other then on the gun

10. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Picked up an XLR5 today. Any idea why the rib wheel only turns 1 1/2 times and stops? Both directions are like that. Thanks, Harv

11. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Harv, pretty sure thats all it takes, push down on the front of the rib to take the tension off and turn the wheel, each detent of the wheel is close to one notch on the rib.

John

12. Harv Shell

John, the rib only moves about 1 notch up or down.

13. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Harv, went and double checked mine, each detent of the wheel is close to one notch on the rib, I do have to push down on rib to take tension off. Is it possible you have it jammed all the way one way or another?

Also there is a small allen at the end that has a ball and spring that puts tension on the wheel,if the allen is to tight that might make the wheel not turn, you could try backing it off. Once you get the tension set this is one of the screws I recommend putting locktite on.

John

14. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

If you move the wheel to far down it will jam. Had it happen to me twice. Not a big
    deal, I used pliers and a rubber band for cushion to start it back up. Be sure to push
    down on the rib while turning the wheel.

John P.

15. Harv Shell

Thanks John, I took the set screws out and got it to adjust all the way up and down. Maybe they were to tight, I'll loctite them and put them back in & not so tight. Did you remove and locktite the sloted rib screws also? Thanks, Harv.

16. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Yes I did,very thin slots, I have a thin slot screwdriver set from Brownells. I talked to Joe at Fabarm about lack of locktite on screws that should have it and he said they would provide feedback to the factory about the issue. You might not need to do that if yours is a gun from a recent shipment.

Enjoy your Velocity, it's a hell of a nice auto.

John

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Doubles input please. Anything can shoot singles.

18. Harv Shell

Sorry Barry no doubles report here, I got mine to play around with skeet and sporting. Not ready to retire the Trap Special yet, lol. Harv

19. motordoctor

shot one the other day on sporting clays. It feeds the sccond shell perfect. It comes with a rod that makes it 2 shots but you can remove the rod by taking off the end cap and pulling the rod out. YOU HAVE to put the second shell in all the way into the magazine until you feel it click or the gun will jam snd not feed properly. It is not a problem to do but once you have the feel it works fine. smooth as silk

20. Harv Shell

Bob Schultz / TargetShotguns treated me real well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fabarms jamming