1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fabarms XLR5~~~Any Comments~~~Good or Bad ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sharp1, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Try David at Target Shotguns. He has the newest 3rd generation stock models availble.

GL

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Whats up old man, recoil too much LOL

3. Hardcsh

Hardcsh Member

I purchased a used one off this site and I think it is a great semi-auto. I am a skeet shooter and my main match gun is a high rib Kolar. I bought the XLR5 because I thought it look cool. I have shot a few skeet rounds and one round of Sporting Clays. The gun functioned without a hiccup and the recoil is softer than my weighted Beretta 302. The seller left a Birchwood Casey Shell Catcher on it and it works great. I like the gun so much, I am considering have Wening restock it with some fancy English Walnut.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The marketing effort that went into this gun is unbelievable. There are full page ads in every shotgun magazine. From that standpoint it has been a total flop. Besides the mistake in the stock design, they made the barrels and end cap too heavy. I've heard of problems with the rib coming loose. In honesty,
    I haven't shot one. I have picked them up and shouldered them, and had no further interest in getting one. I have yet to see one in use. I see them coming up for sale on this forum with regularity.

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have put about 6,000 rounds thru one. Had a hassle getting a release trigger that I could shoot. It is front end heavy. I had 2 1/4 oz machined off the cap. Added a Jones plate and decent pad.
    Added 4 oz weight to the stock plus the 5,5 oz weight that comes with the gun. Very reliable and a soft shooter. Still trying to get it configured to my shooting style. Jury is still out for me...SMOKIT
    P.S. Bitch to clean

6. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I have 30 inch barrel blued version. Have shot roughly 1500 through it. It came with a Philips release trigger and a pull trigger. I have added 7 ounces in the magazine tube and 9 ounces in the butt stock to get overall weight up to 10# 4 oz. Not as heavy as my tubed K80 but close. Very soft shooting gun and thus far I have been very pleased with the performance in skeet and sporting clays. Only issue was learning how to properly lubricate it, basically run it dry with light application of STOS on the rear of the action bar. Dick G you are welcome to give it a whirl at DCWC if you would like. Dave

7. Dickgshot

Dave, the fact that it fits you just about proves my point. Yes, I'd love to try it with that release trigger. Dick

8. Sonny98

Sonny98 Active Member

Nor sure where you're getting your info Dick. The marketing of this gun has been hugely successful. Try buying one. There's only about five new ones available nation wide. They are making them as fast as they can. Great barrel. Great feel. Great swinging. I've got one and shoot a release. The only reason the release is tough to get is because they can't make them fast enough to satisfy the market. Great gun. Smokes the birds the 27 and beyond. I shoot alot of meat shoots with this gun with great success. Never had a problem with it but if the screw at the rear of the rib did come loose its a three minute fix. Buy it and love it. Some people just have nothing better to do than berate a gun they know nothing about.

9. Dickgshot

Sonny: Here's where I get my information. I stopped by the Indiana Gun Club and they've got 5 or 6 just on the racks, 12 listed in their inventory. Jaquas list a couple, same with HiGrade, same with Bob Schultz. Shot a couple state shoots last year, and the World FITASC. Didn't see a single one - though maybe there was one.

I admitted I hadn't shot one. They've obviously spent a lot of money on promotion. I don't think it's sold the way they expected. If you want to get all bent out of shape because I'm not in love with your gun, go right ahead.

10. Sonny98

Sonny98 Active Member

So dick, you held one to your shoulder and you saw a couple on the rack somewhere and you feel like you should comment on this post? Ok, I guess a couple weeks ago when I was looking everywhere in the country to buy another one, a "32, I should have called you because no one else had one including Fabarms themselves who told me its been a very popular gun. The orders going out now were from last Febuary. But there wouldn't be any, anywhere, for a couple weeks. My issue is you talking down a gun you admit you know nothing about. Way too much of that going on in this site. Way too many people that know way too little acting like they know it all. Just nothing better to do I guess. Not trying to be rude but you're dead wrong, I don't care where you've shot.

11. dale1957

dale1957 Member

I built my own from a diamond anniversary 1100 receiver, classic trap stock and forearm cut and made adjustable, a Delrin high rib, a 28" remchoke barrel sent to Angleport for backboring, forcing cones, porting, and their extended choke tubes. Its a beautiful gun, shoots and points extremely well and made in USA. And I believe u can build 1 cheaper than a european semiauto.

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Hi Gary my friend just got a silver one with a release I have not shot it yet but will Wed. It is a pretty substantial gun big heavy feels like a 2x4 clubby just like a Krieghoff so you should love one. If you shoot it as good as your Krieghoff I will sure be jealous hope to see you and Judy this summer.
    Buddy

13. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I just got back from the Caesar Guerini shop on Marylands eastern shore. Spoke with the gunsmith there and he admitted that the first ones had some teething problems. Didnt say what.Caesar owns them now and I'm sure they will fine tune them and remedy any problems.....Dan.

14. Leafcutter

Leafcutter Member

Dale 1957;
    "I built my own." Enough said

15. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Leafcutter have u ever built anything that u couldn't buy? Enough said.

16. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

I have shot one in sporting clays, but it did not have a release, and I shoot release. That did not stop me from smoking almost every target. For me, the gun feels just like a K80, just less recoil (and I shoot a K80). I will own one soon.

William

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Dale 1957, you may have made something but it wasn't a Fabarms XLR5. Just saying...

18. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

A guy at our club has one and now two. The first one was defective and so is the second one. He shoots it well when it works.

19. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I also had some issues when I first got the gun, mostly with cycling shells, after 100 or so it would struggle to chamber second shell from the magazine tube. I assumed it was "dirty" Promo powder used in my reloaded 12 ga 1oz loads. I was at same time putting light coat of rem-oil on the magazine tube, same practice I used with my 1100. I changed to Clays powder to deal with the dirty residue issue, still had second shell chambering issue. Spoke with Fabarm and changed my clean up / lubrication routine. Now I clean all parts with Hoppes 9 and wipe dry. I only lubricate the outside of the action bar at the bolt end with a light application of STOS. The gun now performs very well and I am having no magazine shell chambering problems, routinely go through 250+ shells before cleaning. I am looking forward to tournament testing the gun in the coming months.

20. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Claybrdr, Its not the Krieghoff I shoot either. My point was u can build a high-rib gun for a whole lot less money than a Fabarms. It's an overprised, Italian made semiauto. It's that simple. You can add a rib, cut the stock to make an adjustable comb, have the barrel worked, balance it anyway you want on most any semiauto. It wasn't that way a few yrs ago but u can now. The 1100 I shoot I would put it up against any Fabarms on the market. It's a 12ga gun only. It doesn't hurt to be creative at times and do something nobody else is doing. As a matter of fact it was fun doing it and the feedback from people has been positive. I expect to see more high-rib 1100's at meets in the future. It's just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fabarm xlr5 mag tube cap loose
fabarm xlr5 velocity any good
fabarm xlr5 velocity cleaning and lubrication

fabarms xlr5 any good

loose forearm on xlr5
lubricating fabarm xlr5