1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Fabarm XLR-5 Velocity - Why So Many Used For Sale

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mbm5770, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbm5770

mbm5770 TS Member

I bought one a few weeks ago and couldn't miss with it. Took it out last night and couldn't hit my a$$ with both hands and a flash light. I was actually going to throw it into the woods. IM going to take it out again when my mind is more clear and im not focused on everything but what I should have been. Mine is the softest shooting gun I have ever shot, Love the adjustability, quality is awesome, and I lost the little retaining spring for the rib------NO PROBLEM, they sent it right out for free. Im totally happy with mine and it GRINDS BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. dave-320c

dave-320c Active Member

Did not the older XLR-5 have a longer reach at the grip to the trigger?

Dave
  3. mbm5770

mbm5770 TS Member

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

Not everybody likes a high rib gun, and some people don't know that until they
    actually get one. Ergo, some went on the sale/trade block right away, and I'm sure there will be more. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of these guns, and Cesar Guerini is promoting the hell out of them, so look for more of them for sale in the near future.
  5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They are selling them to get a Butler.
  6. TBFA

TBFA Member

I love mine, not for sale!
  7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Who makes this gun? I believe some shooters "just can't shoot a high rib gun"...their sight picture is so burned in for a rib close to the barrel..maybe that's why. Those guns sure look great and must be perfect for some shooters?
  8. Slugo

Slugo TS Member

IMHO, the gun is just too physically large for the quick game of sporting clays. But, I think it makes a great trap gun, especially with its ajustability...
  9. claybrdr

claybrdr Active Member

Probably same situation as I experienced years ago when I got a Devault rib on a Beretta auto. I was coming off a 24 on our 5-stand with my 410 tube set in my MX2000 and shot something like a 7 or 8 with that ribbed barrel. Didn't matter how I adjusted it I couldn't hit my ass. Sold it within a week! My friends still ride me about that and offer to buy me another one if I promise to use it!
  10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Active Member

The secret of low rib vs hi rib is consistency I shoot lousy with both so must be ambidextrous.
  11. APrice

APrice Active Member

Early grip is too long for the average hand. The manufacturer has corrected that and the newer models fit a lot better. Unless CG makes it easy for the older guns to get retrofitted, there will be a lot of them on the market.
  12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

High rib: Harlan Campbell, Gebben Miles (World FITASC sporting clays champion)
    Low rib: Leo Harrison III, Anthony Matarese (Sporting clays champion)

What bothers me about the Velocity is this: If the people who designed the gun didn't realize that that the pistol grip was too far from the trigger for
    most people (and we're talking about Italians, not a race known for palming
    and dunking a basketball) what else did they mess up?
  13. Gary Ferrell

Gary Ferrell Member

Shoot with a couple of friends that shoot this gun and they are shooting it better than any gun they have ever shot.Gun adj.from 50/50 to 90/10 so they are shooting better scores from 16 yd. line back to 27yd. line.I shot it and it is one of the sofest shooting guns i have ever shot and will smoke a target .They have shot a lot and have not had any problems at all with it.Several friends have shot it and all seem to love it.The only problem i see is if you have small hands the reach to trigger is slightly longer.The adj. comb works well and recoil reducer also
    works well.I also talked with Bob Schultz and he had nothing but praise for it and said most shooters really like the gun.Bob also has a video on his website showing the gun.He now also has release triggers for it.I will have one soon as i think it is a great value for everything this gun will do.
    Gary
  14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Never seen one or held one in person so I'm not sure..I'm not a fan of super high ribs as they are too easy for me to cant the gun which is disastrous for a guy who sets the gun to shoot 90%...Irmember when the 99Plus was a hi rib...now its really more just in reality a mid rib compared to the new stuff out there
  15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If the gun fits, you won't cant it, this where offset stocks and or adjustable recoil pad comes into play.

Surfer
  16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Every one looks for the magic bullet. Most people never give a new gun enough time to get used to it.

I was told it can take as much as 5000 targets to really get used to a new gun.

Phil Berkowitz
  17. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Active Member

Well, I can see why everyone says these guns really smoke targets. I put the bore gauge in mine tonight with the following results;<br>
    bore= .739 and tapers all the way to the tube<br>
    sk= 14/1000<br>
    #2= 23/1000<br>
    #5= 34/1000<br>
    #7= 44/1000<br>
    #9= 51/1000 Tight chokes = Smoke
  18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I would PM or call Bob Schultz. He has them for sale on his website, and he is a straight shooter.
  19. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

Skeet2day, calling Bob is great advice. My gut reaction is the supply chain on new guns has been so tight, that any new inventory will have the new grip/trigger distance. I am waiting on a silver 32", and am quite sure it will show up with the smaller distance. I have big hands, so probably not an issue either way, and may have to adjust the trigger forward?

Shotshell, I could be totally off base, but I think those are measuring way tighter than the web site calls out? Without going back and checking, it seems the 5 was around .022, 7 was around .028, and 9 was like .038. I am no doubt off, but certainly nothing as tight as you have?????

OK, had to look, and John Cantu did a review, and the chokes in his gun were:

My five chokes’ final constriction before the muzzle were: the Skeet/Cylinder – .000, the #2 – .012, #5 – .022, #7 – .031, #9 – .040.

That is a copy/paste job, so perhaps Bob can weigh in on why the spread, no pun intended.
  20. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Active Member

I thought they were really tight too, but the gauge doesn't lie. Maybe my maths off, whats .739 - .688? Harv
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.