Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

##FABARM SEMI-AUTO REVIEWS?##

7K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  dead on 4 
#1 ·
Has anyone shot the new Fabarm Velocity yet or heard anything negative about the gun, I am considering buying one but i have not heard much about them lately.
Thanks,
Tom

#8 ·
I picked one up and shouldered it at the Indiana State shoot. It is heavy. I
don't see where it is an improvement over the DeVault 391 conversion - or the
Moneymaker 391 conversion for that matter.

If somebody wants to shoot this for doubles, he'll be pelting the guy next to him just like all the other autos. I did not see a single auto in the doubles
championship. It looks like a nice gun -but what would you use it for?

#10 ·
BAD 303,
You need to do more than just pick it up to make a judgement. I've owned all of Beretta's auto's starting with 301, some have been tricked out with aftermarket ribs,barrel work, adjustable stocks and so forth. All have been great guns, but I was truly surprised when I shot the Fabarm's auto how well it pointed and for me how low the recoil sensation was compared to other autos I've shot. My girlfriend shot it as well walking away with the opinion as mine.

In the last two decades shotguns have been advanced and refined to where improvements come in small steps, in my opinion Fabarms has taken a big leap forward with this fully featured target gun. I will own one before years end.

Surfer

#11 ·
I was not asking you to not buy one. Shoot whatever you want. Just letting some know that a new high profile company will introduce an auto next year that has already been shot by a friend. It was not in the US either. It was shot and handled at the factory. It has some really nice features and should have the best auto trigger ever made.

#13 ·
I'm not much of an auto guy, but the Velocity model is a pretty sexy auto. I think it is the adjustable rib and stock that make it somewhat unique in auto land. I shot a DeVault conversion and it was an awesome gun. So I would imagine this thing would shoot very similarly.

#14 ·
Hap,
The Fabarms trigger is pretty dreamy, much better than any of my Beretta's. I've only seen pictures of the Butler, it looks like quite a bit of thought has gone into bringing this gun to market and it should do well. People who have shot it have good thngs to say about it. If you have a chance to shoot a Fabarms I'd like to hear your toughts.

Bad 303 my comments were aimed at dickgtax not you, I didn't give full attention when typing my response,I apologize.

Surfer

#15 ·
Surfer, I will get a chance to compare my experiences between the two eventually and I will tell you my thoughts. I have no axe to grind concerning any semi-auto as one being superior to another except for the triggers. The Butler trigger is on par with and above a lot O/U triggers!! I have broken several 100s with my 303 with both a pull and release trigger. BUT, my best trigger in the 303 can't even come close to comparing with the Butler. The design of the Butler gun allows for a very radical new trigger asembly design and it has one when compared to all other semi-autos I've experienced to date. That's why I wrote that I'd have to see and shoot one to call it a better trigger design than the Butler XX-12!

Hap

#16 ·
I'm not suggesting Fabarm's is in the same league as butler, I'm saying it's a notch above current autos that I'm familiar with. My understanding Butler is using a twin spring system giving it a very quick loc time and is a highly refined product.

I had one of Wendel's 303's, wish I kept it...............

Surfer

#18 ·
That's kind of my point. You just heard from two of the best sporting clays shooters around that see no benefit in another automatic, especially one in the $2,500 to $3,000 range. Three of the top sporting clays shooters in the country shoot 391's and are winning with them (Matarese, Robertson and Ribbs)

So if sporting clays won't shoot them; trap shooters aren't shooting autos at all-certainly not for doubles; I go back to my original question: what is it for?

#20 ·
Trapshooters are getting older, more recoil sensitive and many have the extra income to play with new toys. A superior semi-auto might be just the ticket. Johnny come lately's will not remember when Leo shot an 1100 and Pete McCall shot a Super-X better than they'll ever dream!!

#21 ·
Good point Andy! Tom Strunk is second on record of breaking all 300 event targets in a single day, and he did it with his SX-1!! That's 100 singles, 100 handicaps from the 27 and 100 doubles, for those that may ask! Also number 50 on the Grand Slam list, same gun. Earl Scripture did some pretty fair shooting with his B 303 also? Bernie Wanner did himself proud with his 1100 also!

Wait till some of these youngsters get their hands on a totally new and improved version of today semi-autos!! It's tough enough to beat them now, wait n see folks!Those young eyes and reflexes will shine very bright with better equipment!

Hap

#22 ·
Hap,
Andy's point is well taken concerning our aging shooting population. Aging takes its toll on everyone with shoulder and back injuries high on the list.

Clay target shooting is a niche market in the scheme of things, so a niche product within a niche market is not suprising given the need for a low recoiling target gun. Every product category including target guns are made up of good, better, best. Assuming Butler, Fabarms and other manufacturers coming on scene have done their homework and I think they have, these new fully featured lower recoiing shotguns will find willing buyers at both ends of the age and gender spectrum.

I hear through the vine" Strunk is back on the trapline after a short retirement and has gone to a TMX, but who knows he may end up with a new auto??

Surfer

#24 ·
Supposedly Fabarms is going to offer one as an in house option, but I've heard they may not. I imagine if you gave a call to Fabarms they could confirm one way or another. I would also think by the time the Grand rolls around, one of the trigger guy's will have them available.

Surfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.