1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fab Arms XLR5 Velocity opions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by muddycreek, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muddycreek

muddycreek TS Member

I would like feed back on the Fab Arms XLR5 Velocity trap gun your opinions on this gun would be helpful. I am recoil sensitive and am interested in purchasing one of these guns read some reviews would like feed back from people that own them or have seen them in operation.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I handled one at the Cardinal Classic. The trigger was set as far back as it would go, and it was still a stretch to reach it comfortably.

And I have big hands.

3. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

I agree with Setterman,I had the same problem. I was going to buy one, and declined. I will say that it did shoot very soft, and functioned & balanced well.

I was just not comfortable with my hand position, as I had to "choke up" on the pistol grip to get a comfortable trigger position. I have a similar problem with the Benelli target auto's.

Mike

4. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I bought one about a month ago after the Indiana State Shoot. I have shot skeet and trap with it. It is a target busting machine. I have not shot sporting clays, but I will sometime this fall. I purchased this gun as a backup for all the disciplines that I shoot and it fits that purpose very well. I installed a Birchwood-Casey shell catcher (recommended by the Guerini gunsmith at the Grand)and it functions pretty well.
    I prefer a break open gun; however, as a backup for several games the gun really fits my needs. I can recommend the gun without reservations if you are looking for an auto. I originally thought the length from the trigger to the grip might be an issue, but after shooting a couple rounds of skeet I did not even notice the difference. If you like semi-autos it will be hard for you not to like this gun.

5. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I've had mine a couple months now and have finally started to get some rounds thru it. The gun appears to be a high quality very competent clays gun. Recoil is light, 1oz loads very soft, 1 1/8 handicap you feel but its more of a push than a sharp slap. No matter what loads function has been perfect other than 2 stove pipes when gun was brand new, has not happened since. Using a rubber band right now as a shell catcher and that is working well, Fabarms has stated they will be coming out with a shell catcher.

Adjustments to the gun are easy and repeatable, the rib only requires pushing down on the rib and turning a wheel., goes from 50/50 to 90/10. The comb requires included allen wrench and the hardware is well designed and high quality. The comb screws go into little indents in the posts so even if the screws loosen the comb won't rise unless they get real loose.

Trigger pull is very good, about 4 lbs, no take up and crisp let off. The reach to the trigger is long and for my medium hands I'm pulling with tip pad of finger. While I was concerned when I was holding the gun before purchase in actual use I'm not finding it to be an issue. I would like to see Fabarms come out with an optional trigger group that moves the trigger back, would be easy to swap out.

One writer that patterned the gun stated it is one of the best patterning shotguns he has ever tested, I'm beginning to believe it, last night shooting from the 20yd line it was absolutely crushing the bird with the #5 choke which is around a lite mod. The chokes themselves are very long, gun comes with 5 chokes. Fabarm claims each choke is machined from a solid bar of steel. At this point I see no need for aftermarket chokes.

The gun is a large heavy gun, handling seemed to be a little sluggish at first, however removed the fore end weights and as I am getting more trigger time I am starting to find it having a very controlled feel to it,definitely not whippy.

All in all I am happy with the gun to the point I'm considering making it my regular trap gun for awhile,bought it mainly for sporting clays, something to be said for shooting 400 rounds and not having a sore shoulder.

JohnR

johnr_2008_3008103.jpg

johnr_2008_3008104.jpg

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It is the only Factory Automatic with an Adjustable Rib, I like the Silver Reciever Model. Will have one when COLES gets the release parts, Coles is the only company that has rights of Caesar Guerini which Mfgrs this gun for release trigger.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Phillip Crenwelge told me at the Grand that he has already put a release in an XLR5. If that release is like the ones he has done for me they are very good.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm with the Setterman on this one. You need hands the size of dinner plates to handle that gun! Jeeze, what were they thinking???

9. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Would it be COLEs oveer in Maine for Release Triggers??

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

coles said beginning of october for a realease and told me 260 dollars?? motordoc

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

what is the average retail price on the FAB?

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

2550 for the blue right hand to start with and a couple of hun more for the left and a few more for the silver and a few more for the silver left handed.

13. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

I build a release for the XLR5. The price is 225.00

Phillip Crenwelge
    210-313-5988

14. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

How about a shell catcher for one of these?Are they available?Sure hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shell catcher for fab arms