1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Fab Arms Velocity auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TBFA, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBFA

TBFA Member

I'm in the market for one of these, and was wondering what everyone's opinion is toward the barrel length. Should I get the 30", or 32", and was wondering if someone was able to demo both, or at least tried the 32". Thanks for your input!
  2. APrice

APrice Active Member

I handled a 30" and was told by the dealer that the 32's haven't reached our shores yet.

The 30 handled nicely and seemed long enough to me. If it were not for the butt ugly trigger guard, I would already own a Velocity.
  3. TBFA

TBFA Member

APrice thanks for posting!
  4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I was told by a fellow shooter in MD last night, that Hendershots in Hagerstown, MD has (or had, if it sold already) a 32" black receiver Velocity in stock. He handled it and handled the 30" and he went with the 30" gun. He bought his last week.
  5. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I shot a 32" at the Indiana state shoot. It broke targets well, had several nice features like the bolt release button and handle. The only complaint i had was it was a little front heavy. But I had the weights on the forearm cap, so by removing them it might help that issue.

John
  6. TBFA

TBFA Member

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming, i'm thinking for sportingclays the 30" may be the better choice over the 32".
  7. Slugo

Slugo TS Member

remember, a 30" autoloader is equal in length to a 32" O/U. You need to add the additional length of the receiver when measuring an auto...
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member

I just bought a 30" Friday, got to handle a 32" and while it may be better for trap I think the 30" will be better for sporting clays. As Slugo stated the length of the receiver comes into play and the 30" actually appears to look like a 32" to 34" when you are sighting down the rib.
    Initial impressions are very positive,gun appears to have a lot of thought put into it's design and features, really nothing needs to be added to this gun,its all there. I think it's avery attractive design, looks very racy, almost custom. It is not a small gun by any means, very substantial feel to it. There may be a problem with trigger reach if you have small hands,other than that should be easy to fit to almost anyone.

Shooting it so far has been limited due to rain, did shoot wobble trap in the rain Saturday just as it came out of the box and broke 47 out of 50,gun set to shoot flat, shooting doubles trap Sun did not do as well, I definitely need to spend some time with it and get it set up for me. Very easy gun to shoot,left side bolt release is very easy to palm with left hand, oversized bolt pull easy to find and use. Recoil is soft with a variety of loads,gun does not appear to be picky on ammo, fed everything well,did have 2 stovepipes with light reloads, were with well worn hulls so most likely the ammo. Friend of mine shot it from the 26 yd line and broke almost every bird even with the gun set up to shoot flat.

Since I shot it in the rain had to do a complete tear down and it is very easy to do, even designed it so you use an empty hull base to leverage out the bolt handle, cleaned up easy wiping down with Hoppes. Internal parts are all plated making clean up easy.

Hope to spend some time this week actually fitting it to me and really see what this gun will do, so far looks like Fabarm has a winner on it's hands. Couple of lousy pics, sun has been scarce this weekend

JohnR

johnr_2008_300897.jpg

johnr_2008_300898.jpg

johnr_2008_300899.jpg

johnr_2008_3008100.jpg
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member

Thanks, yea that is pretty nice wood for a black model, most likely was supposed to go on a silver one. I'm not concerned at all about the 2 stovepipes, reloads were 7/8 oz low pressure meant for my vintage SxS guns in well worn AA hulls. Gun has less than 300 rounds thru it has not missed a beat with factory ammo or standard pressure reloads.

JohnR
  10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

So is there a separate trap and a sporting clays model???

I heve seen one without the MC stock, the pids posted above show a MC stock and I have seen two different POI's reported one was stated as having a 50-50 low, 50-70 highr and another report of up to 90-10 high.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member

Rick, gun is only available with the Monte Carlo stock, I've never seen a straight stock unless maybe you saw a european model. POI is fully adjustable from 50-50 to 90-10, easily and repeatable with a dial at the front of the rib.

No separate model for trap and sporting, it's being marketed as a target gun that appears to be able to be used for all clay sports. Only real option is the receiver, basic black or silver with some engraving for a couple hundred more

JohnR

johnr_2008_3008101.jpg
  12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks.
  13. pogostick

pogostick Member

Has anybody seen a release trigger for one yet?

Thanks,
    Larry
  14. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

Does anybody have any experience shooting the Fabarm AND a Beretta 391 with an adjustable moneymaker rib? If so, may I ask how they compare shootablity wise? Thanks. JM
  15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

I shot one today at the Iowa State Shoot. Impressive gun. Very
    little recoil. Release triggers are not yet available from Fab Arms.
    I shot the 30" version and that's the one I will buy when the release
    trigger is in production.
  16. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Active Member

Check out my website above for a review of the XLR5. We have them in stock at a good price.

Thanks.

Bob
  17. Bob Schultz

Releases are coming soon.
  18. Bob Schultz

We'll have a demo at the grand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.