1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FAA is going off the deep end because of a kid

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The FAA is going nuts because a tower controler let his kid come to work with him 2 weeks ago. The father told the kid what to say and when while in his lap. He did the same with his daughter the next day. He and his tower boss have been sespended because of this.

On the Today show they had a FAA officer and a retired airline pilot. The FAA officer was almost foaming at the mouth saying the kid was endangering everyone. The retired pilot said that the kid was being told what to say and when. The father was there watching everything the kid was doing. It was not like they left the kid to go to lunch. The kid was not in control at any time. I feel the FAA is going to far. If the kid was in a aircraft and took the controls he is now in control of the aircraft. That never happenned in the tower.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Auctioneer,

I agree whole heartidly about this being blown out of proportion. It wasn't a problem until the general public found out about it.

The controllers kid, that was giving the instructions, was more professional sounding than some of the people I've heard over the radio.

The pilots didn't have a problem understanding what was being asked and a few even complimented the kid. Sometimes the news needs not to report things, this is such a non-issue.

ss

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

But it IS a handy diversion from other events of the day like anything OBAMA, the stepping down of corrupt Charles Rangel from the chairmanship of the Ways and Means Committee chair!......

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Taking a wild guess here, but I'd say neither of you is a pilot.

I do have my pilot certification, and although not active now, for a period of 7 or 8 years I was in the air two or three days a week training to earn my certificates and then using them as part of my recreational flying.

It has less to do with the safety at the moment the kid was giving instructions, as it was obvious what he was saying was scripted/directed by the "real" controller. It has more to do with the general attitude in the control tower that would allow that to happen in the first place. About the last thing a pilot wants is to be unsure that the instructions he's getting from ATC are accurate or a feeling that people working ATC are not paying 100 percent attention to the job at hand.

Would you have the same opinion if you were having a heart attack and someone dialed 911 and a 7-year old voice asked "What is your emergency"? You'll say it's not the same thing - but to the people on the airplane it is.

Scott

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Scott,

I've been a pilot for 25 years now. Nothing professional, just recreational. I don't fly much these days due to economic reasons, but I have no issues with the controllers kid issueing the commands that were set forth by their father.

That kid will remember things like this fondly for the rest of his days. How many times did you want to go to work with your dad, as a kid, and see what he did? Even better here because the father included his child on what was going on. Nobody was in danger at any time.

ss

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

What a coincidence we have a Man child in the white house as well???

7. fly

fly Active Member

For security reasons, I wasn't allowed to bring my sons in the cockpit even to get a pilots view, since 9-11. The rules are in place for good reason.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

To take Scott's remarks a step further, how would you like it if a para-medic brought his kid to work and he stood above you while his kid preformed emergency procedures on you or a loved one while he gave instructions?

There is a time and place for kids to see what their parents do for a living but preforming their duties (even under supervision) isn't one of them.

Bill

9. Auctioneer

Scott Calhoun, I am a commercial pilot for 24 years. No one had an emergency at he airport. There for there shouldn't be an issue. Trying to say the the tower is equal to a 911 call center is like compairing a VW to a indy car. If something of an emergency did come up I'm sure that the people in the tower would do the right thing and get the kid out of the way. FAA officals can be a bad bunch at times and this is one of them.

10. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It appears to be controlled data transfer...not much different than typing. An arguable issue I see is "time."

Mark

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

If a pilot makes a mistake, the pilot and his passengers die. If an Air Traffic Controller makes a mistake, the pilot and his passengers die.

Get the kids' asses out of the control tower; the ATCs don't need distractions.

EE

12. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Bad decision - it makes the sheep nervous!

13. Auctioneer

Pilots have the right to say NO to the tower. If someone said its safe to cross the street I still look around to make sure. The pilots do the same.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

At least it wasn't Bush's fault.

15. Flyboyerv

Flyboyerv TS Member

Being a professional pilot for last 15 years I'm on the fence about this one. I do see this as very unprofessional of the controller. The part that I have a problem with is the kid giving clearance for takeoff. I know his dad was tell him it was time, but that is a very critical instruction. I don't know that I would have accepted that clearance from a kid without getting conformation that it was coming from the tower. I would have thought that someone had hacked the system and was giving bogus information. If he wanted his kid to talk on the radio give him the instruction for us to change frequencies, something not so important.

16. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

It appears harmless at first but JFK is a very busy place both in the air and on the ground at times. Mis-read,mis-understood, and clipped transmissions, that can cause a pilot to question that clearance can lead to a minor mental irritation or on occasion an unexpected go-around. Go-arounds are very unnerving to passengers,costly to the company,and require both pilots to be at their best in an airspace as busy as New York Center. On the other hand many years ago when the US Air Force was trying to recruit Flight Nurses my old C-119 Reserve Squadron out of Muskogee,OK got the job of picking up these beautiful, young, recent graduates, and taking them on a weekend "fam flight" to a local Air Force Base. There were no female pilots then and when we did the same thing by letting a young lady make transmissions from the aircraft. It caused some long pauses from the ground controller. That was at an Air Force base on a weekend though. I think the FAA has handled it well and should forget about any further action.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So junior gets confused or has difficulty reading the paper, and tells the pilot who doesn't speak real good English to land on runway 4 instead of 7.

I don't want to be on the plane.

How dumb is this? Let the kid go be a taxi dispatcher, at least he won't kill anyone.

HM

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Very unprofessional . I am not a pilot and don`t like flying but if I knew that a kid was transmitting take-off instructions to a pilot of a commercial airline that I was on and then proceeded onto the runway , I would doubt his ability to carry on te rest of the flight . As someone said , a hacker may have been that person and could have caused a major disaster . The father could have easily had the boy and girl there to just observe without actually giving any orders to pilots and that would be OK with me . I understand that the job of an air control officer is very tecnical and any distractions there were uncalled for . They should both lose their jobs. 3 weeks ago on the news were 4 airplane crashes in 5 days , this didn`t have to be another .

19. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Here is the youtube audio of the incident in question. The pilots don't seem upset at all.

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

These pilots on the ground that are either taxiing or holding for clearance are listening to each convesation this kid is having with the other planes. They know what's right and can tell if the kid is messing up.

I wonder how I ever grew up to be an adult with the things I did as a kid. Lol.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.