1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

F_Class,

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any of you guys shoot F-class big bore as well as trap? I've been thing about it, and wondering about a gun. Give me something else to do with a lot of time.

2. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

Savage, or build your own.

The 2013 World Championships will be held in the U.S. in Raton.

Check out usfclass.com

Have fun.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Suited for beginer shooters 300yd - 1200yd? I'd tend to thing this competition is for very experienced marksman.

ss

4. shot410ga

short, I am experienced. Just not in F-class

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I was just remarking as to what it said on the website. I'd be darn lucky to hit a 6'x6' steel plate at 1200 yrds let alone a 5" x ring. Lol.

ss

6. shot410ga

7. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Shot410ga, Here is a pic of my old Tubb T2K gun in 300 wsm 28" barrel, Anschutz trigger, Nightforce scoped, built by McMillian. I'm sure this would work for F-Class, although most of the f guns have traditional butt stocks. This is one gun that I miss shooting. l.g.

8. shot410ga

I'm impressed. What did you use the gun for, if not long range?

9. little gambler

Rockchucks and Sand Rats..........it was a little much for them, but fun to shoot. l.g.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Nice rifle lil gambler, I always wondered how the 300WSM would fare in a target quality rifle. What sort of accuracy do you get with this one?

I have been using an A bolt in .300 WSM for the past four years with great effect on everything from elk to pronghorns. Very accurate and plenty of long range punch.

11. little gambler

I had a friend dial it in for me who's spent way more time than I have behind a rifle, he got some sub 1/2" 5 shots at 100 with 180 gr Nosler Ballistic tips, it shot better with Seirra 169 gr Match Kings, but for rats and chucks, that Nosler was way more impressive. I did not take time to fire form a bunch of cases either, I think I bought around 500 new brass from midway, and punched them out on my dillon. I'm sure it would have shot way better with someone with nothing but time on their hands to find some good cases, fire form them and spend time looking for that "special load". I did not true necks, de-bur flash holes or do anything else that most of the long range shooters do. l.g.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A guy in CA built this rifle, I think he said it's a .338 Laupa? He told my buddy and I his son killed an antelope in WY with it at 900 yards!! The man that built this rifle is a former military sniper. He's built many super accurate rifles in addition to this one.

Hap

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would like to see the video of the lady Sniper that shot the Iraqi while bent ove in the rectum and also set off the explosive he was setting up.

Congratulations to the Canadian Snipers with the over a mile shots they made.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. shot410ga

I found a Tubb 2000 for sale, $4000 (used). Think I'll go with the Savage.

15. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I would like to see a DD-Class.

Double D

Ack!

Ronbo

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Savage makes a dedicated F class rifle. Dick Metcalf, one of the more known gun writers shot a 5/8"- 5 shot group at 500 yds with one! And that was using some normal factory (like federal) .308 match ammo. 30" barrel

They are not that expensive at around $1000 street price. You'll need a good scope and Bi-pod too. Then there is the shooting cart, mat, spotting scope, spotter, ammo, umbrella, seat, model to hold the umbrella, etc. It can get pretty involved.

I'm pretty sure F Class is limited to .308/7.62x51 caliber. I may be wrong on that, I do know for sure that you aren't gonna shoot very many .300 Mags at anything., as the recoil eats you up quickly. About 3-5 shots from a .338 Lapua is about all anyone can take and not go Cukoo.

Savage also makes a similar rifle as a "Palma Match" rifle. The only diff is it is setup for iron sights(has bases installed), and is optimized to shoot Sierra 155gr boattail bullets which are required by Palma Rules. Palma is definately limited to .308 cal only.

Randy

17. shot410ga

Considering what I've spent on trap guns, and ammo, cost for this is nickle and dime. Except, the model to hold the sun shade...

18. rocktire

rocktire Member

I have a savage F-Class for sale.

It is a 6mmBR and has a Weaver T36 on it. Also would let go of 100 rounds of Brass.

This gun will shoot .75" 5 shot groups at 400 yds. It is the perfect economical long range gun. It has won factory class competitions and open class. It will shoot as good as the custom rifles for a fraction of the cost. $925 for the rifle or $1500 for the entire package. PM me if interested

19. rocktire

rocktire Member

BTW the .75" 5-shot 400yd group is by me. A good shooter could make it smaller with finicky reloads and such. That was with Lapua brass full length sized shooting 30 grains of varget and 105 grain Lapua Scenar's with CCI 450 primer. This gun has a 1-8" twist. Great gun, Great Price.

The 100 brass are all Lapua only 25 of them or so have been fired the rest is new. I would say they would cost you $70 new.

The scope is worth $400 or so. In my opinion the weaver T36 is perfect for this but you can easily go up in price.

The gun was $1125 with tax and all

There is about 30 MOA of upward adjustment in the scope which will get you past 1000yds.

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Guys can shoot .300 Winchester magnums if they want. In the old days it was used all the time. Guys are shooting things like 6mmbr, my favorite .260 remington, 6.5x284 and many other softer recoiling guns. The bigger bores are not as prevalent in the winners circle anymore. My .300 winchester magnum with 168's will shoot moa all the way to 1000 and farther and with a muzzle break it kicks softer then a .308.

The sad truth is you can spend many thousand's and not beat the accuracy of a factory savage f-class gun. I don't own any because I have a gunsmith in the family and all my work is done for free. if i didn't have Uncle Elvin I would buy a Savage and shoot the bore out of it.
    If you are just getting started F-Class has some things that will remind you of trap shooting. A Perazzi does not buy you a score any more then a 5,000 rifle buys you a group.

You have to learn how to read wind.

Did I mention that you have to learn how to read wind?

By a Savage F class like the guy above has for sale. 6mm BR is awesome as factory brass for it will be the most consistent brass you can buy. Buy the savage and shoot it until you are a guru at reading wind. If at that point you want better you will be able to truly know what better is. Good luck! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

t36 300 yard f-class